U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:26 AM

149 posts, read 289,842 times

Advertisements

I graduated college - I have a successful job - but I absolutely cannot get rid of the bunny rabbit living in our backyard. I honestly do not know how the rabbit gets into and out of our yard - I thought I did a great job "sealing" it off yesterday (we have a completely fenced-in yard). No holes anywhere that I can see. Yet this morning, it's right where it left off yesterday, looking at me like "you really thought that would work?"

So.....how do I get rid of this pesky little critter? Killing is not an option - I just want to make my yard so unattractive that it chooses to graze elsewhere. Traps are a last option too - I dont know if they are legal in my area, and even if they were, I wouldnt know where to dump it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 09:46 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,056,597 times
The most likely answer is that you have 'sealed' the rabbit into your yard.

Past that call Animal control. They can safely trap it, remove it and relocate it somewhere else. Or, if they can't, they can tell you who can.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:28 PM

965 posts, read 437,190 times
Why is killing not an option? Rabbit is delicious and per pound it is lower in fat, lower in carbs, and higher in protein than pretty much any other meat.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:26 PM

2,908 posts, read 4,776,617 times
What harm is the rabbit doing?

If you wait long enough, the foxes and/or coyotes in the area will get it.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:43 PM

8,424 posts, read 24,434,185 times
Rabbits burrow.

Just leave it. How can you not enjoy a rabbit in the yard? They are so cute!
It is not wise to trap it yourself if you do not know what you are doing. Rabbits can really put in some damage if they want to when frightened.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:47 PM

8,673 posts, read 19,322,178 times
learn to live with it.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:03 PM

82 posts, read 138,448 times
You could do what we did when a family of feral cats adopted our yard... get a dog!

Old 10-02-2009, 11:09 AM

8,241 posts, read 13,489,176 times
I think I'd rather have a rabbit in the yard than the dog. The dog will bark all night to get into the house and will shat all over your yard and dig the yard up trying to get at the rabbit.

Go to the hispanic market or the hispanic section of the store and buy the biggest quantity of ground red pepper you can find and sprinkle that on your perimeter and lawn. It won't damage your plants but once the rabbit gets a snoot full of that pepper, ole Peter won't like it. It might drive him off.

Someone said rabbit is good eats. Yeah, that's what I thought too... I was sitting there enjoying my rabbit at Mataam Fez, then my wife said, "That looks like our cat." I couldn't eat another bite. I almost hurled right there.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:37 AM

3,901 posts, read 5,302,147 times
Careful about handling rabbits. Prior to first days of frost, their hair and skin contain parasites that will burrow into your own skin and hair if you handle them without precautions. The parasites are killed off by the cold, so this becomes a non-issue once the winter starts.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:05 AM

17,378 posts, read 24,638,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I think I'd rather have a rabbit in the yard than the dog. The dog will bark all night to get into the house and will shat all over your yard and dig the yard up trying to get at the rabbit.

Go to the hispanic market or the hispanic section of the store and buy the biggest quantity of ground red pepper you can find and sprinkle that on your perimeter and lawn. It won't damage your plants but once the rabbit gets a snoot full of that pepper, ole Peter won't like it. It might drive him off.

Someone said rabbit is good eats. Yeah, that's what I thought too... I was sitting there enjoying my rabbit at Mataam Fez, then my wife said, "That looks like our cat." I couldn't eat another bite. I almost hurled right there.
That red pepper trick sure worked good in Cool Hand Luke when he was running from the lawman.....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver