U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2007, 11:14 PM

85 posts, read 192,915 times

Advertisements

Hey forum...we have a house we're looking at in the 'burbs, but the yard is a little on the small side, and doesn't have a lot of privacy. Specifically, there is no privacy fence on the back side, just on the sides, due to "greenbelt" regulations. One idea I had was to plant a row of trees/shrubs along the back fence to give us more privacy from the other homes.

What types of trees/shrubs grow well in Colorado? I'm familiar with the typical aspens and pines, but I am looking for some possible ideas in case we put in an offer.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 08:17 AM

10,914 posts, read 29,415,494 times
look at the CC&R's - sometimes you cannot plant anything near the fence that could block a neighbors view.

AND

There is usually a utility easement that runs along the perimeter - nothing should be planted here that you wouldn't mind being dug up. SOmetimes up to 8 feet!

Old 05-06-2007, 10:55 AM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Great advice, 2beindenver. As for trees/shrubs that grow well here, lilac, shrub oak, silver maple (considered a trash tree by some, but fast growing), barberry, and others. A landscaping center can help you.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the help!

Why would regulations block the neighbors view of my back yard?? That makes no sense. I can understand if there's a view of the mountains, but not my back yard. LOL!

Old 05-06-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornswin View Post
Thanks for the help!

Why would regulations block the neighbors view of my back yard?? That makes no sense. I can understand if there's a view of the mountains, but not my back yard. LOL!
Funnnn nnneeee. The views of the open space, silly long horn.

I once was called out on a listing appointment where the seller kept telling me how much more his property was worth because of the $10,000 water feature/pond/fountain in the backyard. Te He He He. I felt badly for him. He wasted his $10,000 - he built the water feature/pond/fountain, and boy was it beautiful, on the back 8 ft of his yard...just over the utility lines. He was so mad he didn't hire me. He hired someone I knew very well. Eventually, he had to remove the water feature/pond/fountain and restore the original landscaping, then lowered his price, then he sold the house.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:07 PM

Okay.

But if it's YOUR house, why can't you block the "views" of greenbelt. Let me explain. It appears that a lot of "greenbelt" areas in the Denver area consist of 20 open feet before you get to the house behind you. That's not greenbelt IMO. It's just a way to keep people from building privacy fences.

Granted, it gives you a bit of space so your back neighbor isn't on top of you (good thing), but preventing someone from building a privacy fence and/or putting in privacy landscaping seems a bit stupid.

So, what I'm saying is this: if you want to block your own views of the "greenbelt", why can't you? Doesn't make sense.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:16 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,768,765 times
Not all neighborhoods have these kinds of regulation. Generally, people that gravitate to neighborhoods like the house you're looking at *like* the kinds of strict regulations. They feel that uniformity help property values, and they're probably right to a certain extent. If you are upset about this, you might want to consider a different neighborhood with less restrictive community covenants.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:36 AM

I absolutely believe covenants are important to maintaining property values. You don't want some hillbilly coming in and keeping his mobile home out front, or some car up on blocks.

But privacy landscaping isn't the same. How would bushes and trees lower anyone else's property values??

I'll stop beating the dead horse now.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:07 AM

[quote=longhornswin;685245]
But privacy landscaping isn't the same. How would bushes and trees lower anyone else's property values??

QUOTE]

First of all I was suggesting that thier could be an issue addressed in the CC&R's. Not all communities are the same. Some will have a rule against growing plants about a certain height to block a neighbors view of the open space or greenbelt and some won't. You have to spend some time and read the documents.

That being said:

What if the reason folks bought that property was because of the view, and you, their new neighbor, caused an obstruction. I'd think they would be upset. Also, in blocking their view wouldn't it stand to reason that it would indeed affect the value of their property?

Living in a Covenant controlled community is based on the good of the whole over the good of the one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver