Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 07:47 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times

Advertisements

Someone in an earlier post reccomended that I go to Boulder and follow one of the trails into the mountains when I asked about trips into the mountains. Does anybody know about and have any suggestions on which trails to take to get the best views of the Mountains and for a picnic?

Also I saw a picture of a very quaint cool kinda Old West looking little Mountain village in the photo forum. I wanted to post the picture and ask if anyone knew where it was but can't find it now and fear it was deleted. Anyway, does anyone know of any such places in the mountains not too far (no more than an hour) from Denver? I would love to take a day trip to such a place for sight seeing and perhaps lunch.

Also, Do you think it would be difficult driving into these places? Mind you I've driven in Ice a couple times but never in more than a dusting of snow. I will be arriving in Denver Thursday (the 15th) and will be exploring on Friday and Saturday. I read the weather in town will be pretty nice but with some possible rain Friday.

Thanks Greatly in Advance for any help!

Last edited by Galounger; 10-10-2009 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 09:01 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Someone in an earlier post reccomended that I go to Boulder and follow one of the trails into the mountains when I asked about trips into the mountains. Does anybody know about and have any suggestions on which trails to take to get the best views of the Mountains and for a picnic? Thanks Greatly in Advance for any help!
There are several good hikes you can take in Boulder from Chautauqua Park where you'll be able to see the Rocky Mountains/Continental Divide.
OSMP Chautauqua Trailhead
Green Mountain may be a bit strenuous since you are coming from sea level, but the views are great: ProTrails: Green Mountain - Bear Peak Trail (Green and Bear It), Gregory Canyon Trailhead, Boulder - Denver - Golden and Lyons

I would suggest driving up Flagstaff Mountain (Baseline Rd. west past Chautauqua). There are many places you can stop to hike around and have a picnic. OSMP Flagstaff Trailhead
There is a $3 parking fee.

I can suggest some good places to pick up a nice picnic lunch. PM me if you'd like more info.
Have a nice trip!

Old 10-10-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
There are several good hikes you can take in Boulder from Chautauqua Park where you'll be able to see the Rocky Mountains/Continental Divide.
OSMP Chautauqua Trailhead
Green Mountain may be a bit strenuous since you are coming from sea level, but the views are great: ProTrails: Green Mountain - Bear Peak Trail (Green and Bear It), Gregory Canyon Trailhead, Boulder - Denver - Golden and Lyons

I would suggest driving up Flagstaff Mountain (Baseline Rd. west past Chautauqua). There are many places you can stop to hike around and have a picnic. OSMP Flagstaff Trailhead
There is a $3 parking fee.

I can suggest some good places to pick up a nice picnic lunch. PM me if you'd like more info.
Have a nice trip!
Great! Thanks alot Neditate. Yeah I was worried about any streneous hikes because not only are we from much lower altitudes but my friend accompanying me suffers a bit from asthma.

Anybody have any suggestions on dining while in the area? A clue as to what kind we might into is my lady friend is not too keen on meat at all (except fish) but loves southern style veggies, breads and also sweets.

Last edited by Galounger; 10-10-2009 at 09:26 AM..

Old 10-10-2009, 11:26 AM

6,797 posts, read 9,347,476 times
I don't know if you would have the time, but there is great scenery on Boreas Pass Road.. basically a dirt road that goes up and over Boreas pass and runs between Breckenridge and Como (US 285). It would take more than an hour to do this, though.

Also, you could go up to Nederland, Central City, and Black Hawk ... or even Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:34 PM

Thanks cowboy. Anybody have any suggestions on lunch or dinner out?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:44 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
I haven't been to Boulder in years, but when I worked at NCAR on the Mesa there was a trail that started right at the back door of the labs and went straight up into the mountains. It was an absolutely beautiful hike. I would be suprised if there wasn't public access to the trailhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver