U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 29,486 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I was driving at about 80 in 55 zone and got tagged by a cop. Pretty sure he was using a laser. He did not give me a chance to talk, although I was pretty polite in the limited interaction.

I didn't get a ticket but a summons to court. The hearing is in 2 months. I have a ticket of 40 in a 25 zone from 2.5 years ago.

On the ticket it says this offense will cost me 6 points. Do I have any chance of getting this reduced?

A couple of things

1) I bought a house last week, and am broke as hell. Can I use this?
2) It was 6:30 in the evening and both me and the cop were pretty tired. Will this help?

Given that I'll at least get 4 points (6 acc. to the summons) and a massive insurance spike, is a lawyer worth it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 08:34 PM

612 posts, read 1,623,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_denver View Post
Hey,

I was driving at about 80 in 55 zone and got tagged by a cop. Pretty sure he was using a laser. He did not give me a chance to talk, although I was pretty polite in the limited interaction.

I didn't get a ticket but a summons to court. The hearing is in 2 months. I have a ticket of 40 in a 25 zone from 2.5 years ago.

On the ticket it says this offense will cost me 6 points. Do I have any chance of getting this reduced?

A couple of things

1) I bought a house last week, and am broke as hell. Can I use this?
2) It was 6:30 in the evening and both me and the cop were pretty tired. Will this help?

Given that I'll at least get 4 points (6 acc. to the summons) and a massive insurance spike, is a lawyer worth it?
I have basic knowledge with traffic laws from a course I took related in my CJ major.

The two "defenses" that you pointed out will definitely not work at all so I wouldn't bother bringing those up... Besides how do you know the officer wasn't just starting his rounds?

As for getting your points reduced, you could do take a course, community service, etc. You should ask the judge if it is an option... 6 points is a lot so I doubt you will get it completely wiped off your record....

Go ahead and consult with a lawyer for the best options.

Good luck.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:10 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,798,947 times
I can tell you from personal experience that the only excuse that might work is if you can prove you were sick or injured and heading to the ER at the time of the ticket. Last time I was in Denver's traffic court a nurse told the magistrate she was speeding to a "coronary emergency" and his response was, "And you very nearly caused another one. Next!"

Old 10-16-2009, 02:43 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,041,220 times
Where did this happen?

If it was within the Denver city and county limits you have no recourse. The Denver DA no longer allows any means of reduction through increased monetary compensation.

And no, being broke won't count for anything.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:10 PM

13 posts, read 46,245 times
chilaili,

My wife has experienced a similar event involving a speeding ticket and being a nurse in Chicago. Except the officer didn't even write her a ticket once she showed him her trauma ICU unit badge and explained her situation. The police really do respect the people that might have to look after them when something goes wrong.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:06 AM

86,981 posts, read 102,527,356 times
I'd get a lawyer. You might also consider a defensive driving course. 80 MPH in a 55 zone is a bit over the top.

As far as nurses, I think they're more respected in Chicago than out here. I was once stopped for speeding down McCaslin Blvd in Louisville (speed limit 40 MPH), on a Sunday morning, while on my way to a home visit. The cop was not sympathetic to my plight. I think I was going about 50 mph. He did let me off, but he wasn't nice about it.

Another time, I was taking my daughter from a music lesson to gymnastics practice. I was on a road that dropped from 55 to 35 very fast, and I was clocked at 58 in the 35 zone. The cop let me off, but I decided the fastest way to get my kid to practice was to obey the speed limit, as that escapade took about 15 min. of our time.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 29,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'd get a lawyer. You might also consider a defensive driving course. 80 MPH in a 55 zone is a bit over the top.
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I hired a lawyer who thinks he can get me off with a 3 point sentance. Let's see. The hearing is on Dec 2nd.

I do believe I deserved getting busted for going so fast, 25 over is simply too much. In fact I was doing 30 over, but slowed down because the road curved. But dang, the insurance spike will kill me. I guess it worked pretty well, I haven't even done 5 over after that stop.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 11,342 times
I just experienced the same incident. I was speeding West bound on 70 heading out to go meet friends in Vail and a cop caught me speeding going down a hill. Honestly, I did not even realize how fast I was traveling but supposedly I was going 82 in a 55. I am reaching out to you to see how your case went and to get any suggestions prior to my summons hearing? Also, to make things worse, I was visiting Colorado so I have to contact a lawyer and see what my options are.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:08 AM

5,081 posts, read 9,088,459 times
In the insurance world we don't have 6 point tickets, not sure if they existed 4 years ago. Excessive speed tickets are 4 points, just like careless or wreckless driving which usually are given for accidents.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:19 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,872,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
In the insurance world we don't have 6 point tickets, not sure if they existed 4 years ago. Excessive speed tickets are 4 points, just like careless or wreckless driving which usually are given for accidents.

Really? I hope you know more about insurance then you do about the Colorado point system. More then a few violations including speeding and reckless driving carry a penalty of more then four points, and thats the way its been for at least 40 years.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...&ssbinary=true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or