U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 33,253 times
Default special needs schools

Would like to find a private, special needs school in the Metro Denver area. I am having a problem finding such a thing. Anyone know of one? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 11:58 AM

502 posts, read 1,801,053 times
Is there a reason you are looking for a private school? Try looking on a website called parent to parent of Colorado. They have a list serve where you can post to other parents like myself. Our daughter is in the Boulder Valley School system. She is in special ed and we are satisfied with the services she has received.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:47 PM

739 posts, read 2,035,979 times
I've heard Denver Academy is a good option. Not sure what the special needs are, this school has a high population of ADHD/ADD from what I've heard, but that's all I know. It is located roughly Colorado and Evans/Illiff

Old 05-10-2007, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 33,253 times
Thank you. The reason for private is that I live in Denver. When my grandson lived with me he went to an Englewood school. The services there were great. We had an extremely bad experience with the Denver school district. Therefore, since he is coming to live with me again, until I can find a new house, I will not have him going to a Denver school. My grandson has FAS (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome) and is Autistic. I appreciate the help and will check into the schools.

Meredith

Old 06-24-2007, 09:34 PM

9 posts, read 48,912 times
There are a few special needs schools such as Havern in Lakewood,
Tetra Academy in Wheat Ridge, Humanex Academy, Accelerated
Schools. Each one has different requirements for student abilities,
necessary accomodations. Denver Academy is great, but $20,000
per year tuition. We had no success with Dove Christian Academy
for our learning disabled son and wish to warn others to really
check it out thoroughly before investing in it. I heard a PBS
commercial yesterday about a school for Autistic kids and I
believe it was called The Learning Circle. Good luck!

Old 08-08-2007, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 20,213 times
I really like Dove and have had a good experience with it. It has been much better than the public school system. Yes they are having financial difficulties because of low enrollment and prior poor administration. Denver Academy is great if you have the money ($20,000+ per year) and your child is at or above normal intelligence. My son went there for a year and we felt it catered to the very rich. Cherry Creek and Boulder seem to have the best public school programs but, unfortunately, we don't live in those districts.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 16,423 times
Default Humanex Academy

Humanex Academy provides both academic and emotional support for students with a wide variety of needs ranging from student with ADD/ADHD and bipolar to Asburgers and anxiety. It is one of the more reasonably priced tuition-based programs for families who need a high quality alternative to the public schools. The program has two primary elements which form the core of its success: an academic curriculum adapted to each student’s learning needs and extensive counseling support.
Humanex tails each class to the individuals special needs and each teacher makes an individualized curriculum for that student. The teachers build on each students strengths to identify the students weaknesses. Humanex as had extraordinary success with a population of students that have been unsuccessful else where.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 16,363 times
Default Special Needs School

We have had a positive experience with our son at Dove Christian Academy. He was being shuffled around in the public school (Cherry Creek district) between pull out time (only 2 hours per day) and the general classroom, where the class size was too large and the work too difficult. Dove has been a great fit for him because of their small class size where each child works at his/her ability level and finds success, gains confidence, and makes friends Dove has gone through some difficult times with it's administration, but it is under new leadership and is on a very positive track right now. We are happy to be there. I encourage others to take a look at the "new" DCA!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 16,311 times
Default A school you might consider.

Dove Christian Academy specializes in special needs children and is still a small, responsive school. Current enrollment is about 14 students. Their website is Dove Christian Academy. The school is recently reorganized with a new board and almost all new teachers in the last couple of years.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:14 AM

3 posts, read 19,911 times
Default Please help me with my 8th grade special needs boy!!

My son has a borderline IQ and has had an Iep in Adams County schools from preschool on up to present 8th grade. This year is the hardest so far and seems impossible for him to get the kind of attention he really needs.

I am researching schools. I have heard that Boulder Valley Schools are good for special needs but I really can 't move into the district.

I am curious about some of the schools mentioned on this thread... not DCA.. he went there his 2nd grade year and didn't work out.

Does anyone know anything about Havern?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver