U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 08:21 PM

11 posts, read 17,194 times

Advertisements

Looks like I will be relocating to the Aurora area in Colorado. Was curious what the area is like and how is the job market? I am a Medical Assistant with many years of experiance. I just came back from the Philippines after 4 years of volunteer work so I am looking for a change in lifestyle. How is the mass transit system? I dont have a car at the moment, but will be buying one after a few months of living there. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 08:42 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,053,596 times
Aurora is 142.5 square miles. You are going to need to be a bit more specific.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Aurora is 142.5 square miles. You are going to need to be a bit more specific.
Sorry to say but thats all I have I will be moving there after the winter im just getting ideas for now the distance isnt a problem for me the job I have now I have to travel 50 miles each way by bus so traveling there wont be that bad. As I get closer to moving I will have more precise updates.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:34 PM

Default Aurora Area

I my name is Michael I am planning to move to Aurora in the next year. I have been waiting for a awhile to get an apprenticeship as an electrician in the Seattle, WA area and im still looking at a 2 year wait minimum. The job market in my area pretty much blows right now and I havent worked since I returned to the country this past march. I have been doing foreign medical aid work in the Philippine Islands for 4 years, and to come back to the states to this market is a bit disappointing. I am more than willing to wait the time that is needed to get my foot into the door at the local IBEW union hall so I can begin my apprentice training. I have some work lined up for the holidays but after that its up in the air. If anyone out there can give me some pointers or put me in the right direction for some job prospectives I'd much appreciate it. I do have my certification as a Medical Assistant. Any help at all would be nice thanks again.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:43 PM

1,048 posts, read 3,994,207 times
As long as you have a Job lined up, you should be ok. As others mentioned, Aurora is big. The north end of Aurora is not the best area but it is improving. Once you have a job lined up, that is the area you probably want to focus on.

Mass transport is ok, depending on the areas. Some have ok covrage, others don't. Again, once you know where you work you can start looking into the areas that have best transportation to where you need to go.

Many relay on a park-and-ride system, meaning that you still need to drive to the "park-and-ride" to park your car and get a bus.

Once you know more info, let us know and we would be happy yo provide additional information.

Good luck with your move.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:58 AM

20,973 posts, read 39,378,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaalgaard View Post
I my name is Michael I am planning to move to Aurora in the next year. I have been waiting for a awhile to get an apprenticeship as an electrician in the Seattle, WA area and im still looking at a 2 year wait minimum. The job market in my area pretty much blows right now and I havent worked since I returned to the country this past march. I have been doing foreign medical aid work in the Philippine Islands for 4 years, and to come back to the states to this market is a bit disappointing. I am more than willing to wait the time that is needed to get my foot into the door at the local IBEW union hall so I can begin my apprentice training. I have some work lined up for the holidays but after that its up in the air. If anyone out there can give me some pointers or put me in the right direction for some job prospectives I'd much appreciate it. I do have my certification as a Medical Assistant. Any help at all would be nice thanks again.
Lots of hospitals in the Denver / Aurora area. Check the job listings at Craigslist, the Denver Post and other job sites.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Lots of hospitals in the Denver / Aurora area. Check the job listings at Craigslist, the Denver Post and other job sites.
I have used craiglist in the past but from what I have been told they ahve become unreliable in Washington. If you think thats not true in your area I will go that route as well thanks for the Reply.

Michael

Old 10-20-2009, 09:53 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,053,596 times
Your post remains pointless.

Aurora is a huge area. I would have hoped you had noticed this by now.

You mention nothing regarding prices or proximity. You seem to expect to come here looking for a job and I must say you will be disappointed -- Denver demonstrates a lower than average unemployment rate but let me be clear -- we do not have jobs any more than any other major city does and this city discriminates - if you don't live here don't expect a job, if you have just barely lived here don't expect a job and if you do live here you might get a job but the rates are lower because lots of people want to live here.

If you are from FL, WA, TX, MI or NY -- think long and hard as you all seem to be flocking to our state and city -- enough of you are already here. CO has never been the land of plenty in terms of jobs; it never will be.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Your post remains pointless.

Aurora is a huge area. I would have hoped you had noticed this by now.

You mention nothing regarding prices or proximity. You seem to expect to come here looking for a job and I must say you will be disappointed -- Denver demonstrates a lower than average unemployment rate but let me be clear -- we do not have jobs any more than any other major city does and this city discriminates - if you don't live here don't expect a job, if you have just barely lived here don't expect a job and if you do live here you might get a job but the rates are lower because lots of people want to live here.

If you are from FL, WA, TX, MI or NY -- think long and hard as you all seem to be flocking to our state and city -- enough of you are already here. CO has never been the land of plenty in terms of jobs; it never will be.
well when the average rate of unemployment is 10% in WA and the rent is seriously too expensive and put into consideration the unemployment in CO is 4% less and the rent is half the cost my odds are way less and its well worth the risk

Old 10-21-2009, 12:15 PM

402 posts, read 932,781 times
The more people that move there, the more the growth, the more the jobs, the better the economy. Its simple economics there stevey!! Just sounds like your bitter people are finding out about your little paradise and you dont like the population growth, sour grapes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver