U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has friendlier people (please only vote if you have lived in both for at least a year)
Denver 9 60.00%
Austin 4 26.67%
Both about the same 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 03:50 PM

29 posts, read 137,368 times

Advertisements

I am considering Denver and Austin Texas. Yes I know Denver has far better weather. Southern Californians are definitely unfriendly. They aren't mean, they just aren't hospitable or friendly either. I'm concerned that people in Denver may be just as impersonal. Austinians are definately friendlier than California. I'd like to hear from Ex californians living in Denver or vice versa. I would especially like to hear from people who lived in all 3: Denver, San Diego (or L.A.) and Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 06:04 AM

1,618 posts, read 5,964,763 times
MM - Check out older posts that has plenty of discussion on Austin Vs. Denver.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:31 PM

5,832 posts, read 9,482,691 times
Denver definitely more friendly than southern california. austin might be a little friendlier than denver, but not by much.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:51 AM

96 posts, read 213,221 times
Austinites are fairly friendly, but Coloradans are indeed friendlier than Texans.

...Your chances of running into friendly people are better in Denver. However, your chances of making friends, who will actually find the time to physically hang out with you, might be greater in Austin (assuming that you are an extroverted individual/have an outgoing personality).

Old 10-21-2009, 08:49 AM

3,849 posts, read 6,772,135 times
Denver, by far! I have spent time in SD, and found the people to be standoffish and slightly rude. It isn't as outgoing and open as Denver, IMO and experience.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,311,217 times
I've lived in Southern California, South Central Texas and Colorado. Texans are very friendly. Texas was by far the friendliest state I've ever lived in. Southern California was the least friendly place I've ever lived. Colorado is somewhere in the middle.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:48 PM

29 posts, read 137,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIBЄ View Post
However, your chances of making friends, who will actually find the time to physically hang out with you, might be greater in Austin (assuming that you are an extroverted individual/have an outgoing personality).

Oh...that's a problem...I'm very much an introvert....

Old 10-21-2009, 07:42 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,428,775 times
I grew up in Southern California (IE) and have lived in Denver for the "better" part of the past two years.

You might find Southern Californians to be rude at first and they may act like they are too good for you and have no time for you. Many Southern Californians act like they have an image to uphold, to the point where it nearly consumes their lives. If you can break through their facades, you'll find real people underneath, very cool and interesting people. Just don't expect them to stay in your life for long. It'll take awhile to be asked to "join the club".

IMO, Denverites are aloof. Over half of Denver's people are transplanted, and it seems that virtually all of them are introverts, like they all moved here to meet people and wonder why they aren't meeting people. It's like going to a party full of people where everybody is quiet and just keeps to themselves. Many people here seem to be content to be searching for contentment, or are content with what they've already got, to the point where it nearly consumes their lives. Denver's not the kind of place where you should expect to get to know people easily, it's very rare for strangers to strike up a conversation and try to get to know you, they're too busy trying to find their places in life or are too busy enjoying their places in life.

I can't help you with TX. I have lived two other places where I really liked the social situation (one place I hated, one place I loved), but neither is metro Southern CA or CO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or