Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2009, 08:58 AM

15 posts, read 67,073 times

Advertisements

In full blown research mode I am trying to learn all I can about the area we are looking to move to.

Using the neighborhoods map I'm trying to figure things out.

http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/downloads/maps/citywide/Neighborhoods.pdf (broken link)

Turns out the place we are looking at is North of Hampden, East of Goldsmith, and south of Indian Creek. That's right.... in that white box that has no name and all the streets have been blanked out.

What would you call that place and can somebody tell me anything about that area in general?

We are going to stay in an apartment for a little while and home base here to explore around the other parts of town before getting something more permanent. This place was selected on a recommendation, only now am I finding out it might be literally in the middle of "nowhere".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 09:31 AM

345 posts, read 973,968 times
Thats Glendale, CO. Its completely surrounded by the city of Denver. And if I'm not mistaken also part of Arapahoe county.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:54 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
The other white box just above the one you are talking about is Glendale. I believe that the area that you are talking about is Holly Hills.

Holly Hills is a nice quiet neighborhood. It's mostly ranch style homes. It's close to light rail, I-25. Shopping and restaurants are all close by on Colorado Blvd. I think that this neighborhood is a part of Cherry Creek School District and that may have a lot to do with it being blanked out on the Denver map.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...lly-hills.html

Old 10-24-2009, 11:05 AM

664 posts, read 2,066,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
The other white box just above the one you are talking about is Glendale. I believe that the area that you are talking about is Holly Hills.

Holly Hills is a nice quiet neighborhood. It's mostly ranch style homes. It's close to light rail, I-25. Shopping and restaurants are all close by on Colorado Blvd. I think that this neighborhood is a part of Cherry Creek School District and that may have a lot to do with it being blanked out on the Denver map.

Yes on both counts - it is in Cherry Creek school district and it is in Arapahoe County, so that's why it doesnt' have a name. It isn't part of Denver.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:12 AM

6,797 posts, read 9,347,476 times
It's probably Unincorporated Arapahoe County, so really not a part of any city.
There are a few examples of this around town. ZIP codes don't really follow city boundaries, so sometimes you'll have an area that has a Denver mailing address (for instance) but is really Unincorporated Arapahoe County. Or even Glendale -- it's "Denver, CO 80246" but really it's not part of Denver.

The most confusing instance of this is when I worked for the City of Culver City, California. Over half of the city has a Los Angeles ZIP code, so residents were always confused about whether or not they were Culver City residents.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:00 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H F View Post
In full blown research mode I am trying to learn all I can about the area we are looking to move to.

Using the neighborhoods map I'm trying to figure things out.

http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/downloads/maps/citywide/Neighborhoods.pdf (broken link)

Turns out the place we are looking at is North of Hampden, East of Goldsmith, and south of Indian Creek. That's right.... in that white box that has no name and all the streets have been blanked out.

What would you call that place and can somebody tell me anything about that area in general?

We are going to stay in an apartment for a little while and home base here to explore around the other parts of town before getting something more permanent. This place was selected on a recommendation, only now am I finding out it might be literally in the middle of "nowhere".
The area you are talking about is called Holly Hills, as another poster correctly stated. This is from a previous post of mind for this area:

This question of Holly Hills got me interested and here is the story:

"... A group of University of Denver Professors acquired some land within a large enclave known as Holly Hills and decided to have a cooperative housing venture of some thirty homes that could have the amenities of a village within a city. An imaginative architect name Eugene Sternberg designed an attractive community facing on a narrow loop street, and the members of the co-op made acceptance of the subdivision design a condition of annexing to Denver. Denver refused because the city could not provide emergency services on that narrow loop road...So contruction preceded in Arapahoe County..."

Invisible Cage: A Memoir
By Maxine Kurtz, Ralph Wendell Conant
Published by Conant Associates, 2005

Maxine Kurtz is a distinguished planner who worked for the City and County of Denver during the early days of municipal planning. She was on of the first women to head a major city planning department and worked for the city for about four decades.

This is an interesting book which I am going to buy or borrow and read.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another poster incorrectly identified this area as Glendale. Glendale is the area, east of the Belcaro neighborhood, and this is the story, again from another post of mind:

I have been reading this book, that I quoted in my previous post about holly hill origin, which I should have included in the citation is on page 80.

Invisible Cage: A Memoir
By Maxine Kurtz, Ralph Wendell Conant
Published by Conant Associates, 2005

and this is the story of Glendale: (page 79)

"...Owners of property fronting on Colorado Boulevard sought to obtain guarantees about zoning and liquor licenses as a condition of joning Denver. Dever refused the request, and even the landowners' threat of incorporating as a town did not sway Denver officials. In fact, this threat angered any Denver officials who might otherwise have been willing to consider the annexation. The landowner promoting the incorporation cleverly excluded from he proposal the property of almost all opponents. As a result, the incorporation election was overwhelmingly favorable..."

So there you have it--the story of Glendale. As you look at Glendale today, with the bars, I am not surprised that liquor was the reason for the existance of Glendale.

Livecontent

Old 10-24-2009, 12:19 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
I wanted just to add another thought about this area. It is a very nice area, even though it is not actually in the City of Denver. It is not really in the middle of nowhere, as you fear. There is good neighborhood shopping at Monaco and Yale and a nice park, Bible, to the east.

There is a very convenient commuter rail station, on Yale and I-25. This area is becoming an area of interest to developers and people are grabbing those older older homes, south of the station on Yale. They have big lots and I suspect you will start seeing many renewals of these properties. If you go west on Yale, you will hit Colorado Blvd. That area of Denver is called University Hills and it is a very good neighborhood. The area had one of the good little shopping areas in Denver, many decades ago, before the city and suburbs, extended out and chains became predominate. I would go to the University Hills Plaza and it had some nice little shops and delis. It did have at that time a larger group of Jewish residents.

You have picked a good area to start to explore Denver.

Livecontent

Old 10-24-2009, 12:34 PM

Great!

I knew it wasn't really nowhere as in desolate or anything but a lot of what you can search up on the forums goes by the neighborhood names.

I couldn't believe when I opend up the link that the one place I choose happened to be blanked out on the neighborhood map.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
There is a very convenient commuter rail station, on Yale and I-25.
Where I live now mass transit isn't very practical outside of the downtown area. But I just spent some time looking at the Denver mass transit website and it looks like I will be able to get on a buss about 50 yards from my new front door that will take me to the light rail station where it looks like I will be able to navigate a MASSIVE portion of the Denver area as well as access the railway and airport.

It's going to be an adventure all it's own to see how far and wide we can travel without a car.

I think we will be heading out into the mountains and surrounding towns on weekends that will require driving but still....it's pretty cool looking on the interactive map what all is accessible.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:12 PM

345 posts, read 973,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post

Thank you for correcting me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver