Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I keep hearing this too, that the shots are greatly scarce now.

Anyone knows if the shots are available anywhere right now? I don't wanna wait in the queue like the outbreak or armageddon movies
You can try your county health dept. Some of them have it, from what I have heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 12:30 PM

556 posts, read 1,199,720 times
i work at a denver hospital and probably about 20% of patients admitted to our service have H1N1. It should peak soon, the vaccine is a bit late.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
i work at a denver hospital and probably about 20% of patients admitted to our service have H1N1. It should peak soon, the vaccine is a bit late.
The thought is there may be more than one peak. If 1 of 5 kids has had it, that means 4 more can get it. I believe I read at one time that 50% of the population is expected to get swine flu during the epidemic. The Spanish flu epidemic actually lasted several years.

I do agree the vaccine is late for this first wave.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:45 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The key symptoms are fever and cough. Our office is assuming if they have fever and cough they have swine flu. Low risk kids are told to stay home, and call us if they develop complications. High risk kids are brought in, tested and put on Tamiflu if they have it, either by testing or by clinical sypmtoms. Tamiflu is getting hard to come by, especially for kids. Many pharmacies have to compound it, that is, make it into a suspension from adult pills. It's expensive if you have no prescription drug coverage.
My son had the fever and a mild cough, which is continuing to hang on. I kept him home from school and waited for the worst, but his activity level was completely normal for the duration, especially with Tylenol to bring down the fever. He returned to school once the fever broke. Everyone else in our family has remained healthy. Friends of ours have three kids who contracted H1N1, and the kids were so sick that they couldn't get out of bed for days, so if our son did actually have the virus, he must have had an exceptionally mild case.

We have all received the seasonal flu shot and are awaiting the H1N1 vaccine. In the meantime, we are practicing good hygiene and hoping for the best.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
My son had the fever and a mild cough, which is continuing to hang on. I kept him home from school and waited for the worst, but his activity level was completely normal for the duration, especially with Tylenol to bring down the fever. He returned to school once the fever broke. Everyone else in our family has remained healthy. Friends of ours have three kids who contracted H1N1, and the kids were so sick that they couldn't get out of bed for days, so if our son did actually have the virus, he must have had an exceptionally mild case.

We have all received the seasonal flu shot and are awaiting the H1N1 vaccine. In the meantime, we are practicing good hygiene and hoping for the best.
Good luck!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:19 PM

16 posts, read 28,735 times
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
WHO | Pandemic (H1N1) 2009

SARS was not exactly a non-issue (worldwide) but I think I know what you mean Tom63376. Last year here was MRSA in the news.

Moving on...

10/3/09
My son (middle school) ran a fever for 3 days @ 102-103. Fatigue was significant. Chills. Aches. Scratchy throat. Advil administered accordingly. On day 3 a gross cough. You know that really deep productive sort. (eww) Coulda been H1N1; it fit the profile. Checked vitals. Lots of rest and fluids, soup, Advil. I stressed a little. Day 3 he bounced. KEY: I watched him like hawk. No one else in this family of 4 got sick.

“KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM YOUR EYES NOSE AND MOUTH” is my battle cry. Always, not just fall and winter.

10/22
Again as of this Thursday 11am he was sick. Same symptoms. He assured me he is NOT kissing girls or picking his nose. The school nurse told us to ASSUME it was H1N1 so 1130am in he went for a swabbing. The Dr. checked for strep as well as seasonal flu an H1N1. He was negative for all. Had it been Flu I would have put him on Tamaflu…maybe depending on how symptomatic he was…due to the fact his immune system has taken 2 hits in less than 30 days.

Yet SOME virus had a hold of him this weekend and upwards of 20% of his classmates and the area districts were out on Friday. He and his sister have been FAR more ill in the past, pre swine flu, and with non-flu viruses. My neighbor’s daughter 9 yr old has Walking Pneumonia but no H1N1. Hmmm.

Here tonight turns out my monster has bounced again. 24 hours fever free. Eating like a horse. Looks good. Feels good. Off to school tomorrow for the next round of cooties.

Personally (and I am way willing to re-examine this down the road) I don't buy the hype.

Yet the HYPE might serve to catch the attention of those who might otherwise totally ignore the public health issue.

Cover you face when you sneeze with your hands then wash your hands. Get sleep. Eat well. Keep hand sanitizer at work. Maybe Wet Wipes singles in your pocket. DON’T pick your nose.

I am not vaccinating my kids nor myself nor is the hub himself. I do not feel there is a FLU vaccine that will ever reliably "protect” them or me. We are already WAY into FLU season. My opinion is that a healthy immune system is always the best bet. However if I were a healthcare worker or teacher I probably would get vaccinated. Not just for me but for those around me you see.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:30 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,344,552 times
It is here. I do not think that it is as big deal as they are making it to be, at least the current 'version'.

The vaccines have arrived to CO, in an undisclosed warehouse at the moment, and are being prepped for distribution. My guess is that distribution could start Nov 1-15th time frame.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:01 PM

Actually, the vaccines are already being distributed. Our office has some of the mist.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:06 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,344,552 times
So the next 'deployment' is that a shot or the mist ?

Old 10-25-2009, 10:07 PM

They're both out. We only got the mist so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: