Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:19 PM

18 posts, read 31,915 times

Advertisements

This is my first post here. I am 27 yr old single male.
I currently live in Fort Lauderdale, FL and my company will be relocating to Northbrook, IL.

I think it's time for a change and from what I've read here, Denver or surroundings sound like a good fit for me. I love winter sports, and being from Florida I like to be active year round. When I am faced with either move to Chicago or get laid off, I believe I will pack and head over to Denver while my severance is still rolling in!

How is Denver for a single young professional (IT field)? I'd like a few pointers on locations. And since I'd be renting, I'd like a nice place, near everything; wouldn't mind being downtown either. A live nightlife would be important since I'd be going by myself and would love to meet new people.

Any pointer/tips are greatly appreciated, and maybe see you on the slopes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 01:11 AM

4 posts, read 8,083 times
odiego, I'm a 39 year old Denver native, read your post and thought I would give you my outlook. If you are free to move-about you should at least plan on coming to Denver for a long weekend to check it out. With decent IT skills you could find a good job in or just outside downtown, live in LoDo (neighborhood around Coors Field - think brick loft) and at your age you would dig the nightlife and outdoor scene. Lots of good looking females, too. Best of luck - BTW - it isn't as cold here as everyone (outside of Colorado) thinks.....shhhh...our little secret!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:42 AM

401 posts, read 853,616 times
Hello. I am originally from Metairie, LA and now living outside of Tampa, FL.
I too, am looking for a move out to the Denver area and work in the IT field. Unfortunately, my family and I will have to wait and see how well the housing market rebounds in FL.
Since you are single, I would take a short (not too short) trip to Denver and check out the area.
While you are there, see if you can get any interviews scheduled.
Good luck with your decision to move and with the jobs.
Feel free to PM with any questions.

LaFrench

Old 10-29-2009, 12:45 PM

87 posts, read 245,921 times
I would suggest that you check it out first (jobs in particular) before quitting.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:59 PM

792 posts, read 3,127,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiego View Post
This is my first post here. I am 27 yr old single male.
I currently live in Fort Lauderdale, FL and my company will be relocating to Northbrook, IL.
FLL is a hopin' place, never been to IL.

Quote:
I think it's time for a change and from what I've read here, Denver or surroundings sound like a good fit for me. I love winter sports, and being from Florida I like to be active year round. When I am faced with either move to Chicago or get laid off, I believe I will pack and head over to Denver while my severance is still rolling in!.
Stick w/Denver, the surroundings may be a bit sleepy from what you are used to in FLL. You won't see as many people w/tattoo in CO as FL.

Quote:
How is Denver for a single young professional (IT field)? I'd like a few pointers on locations. And since I'd be renting, I'd like a nice place, near everything; wouldn't mind being downtown either. A live nightlife would be important since I'd be going by myself and would love to meet new people.
LODO really is the only nightlife. The IT field now must be fiercely competitive I guess w/economy and too many transplants looking for work.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:38 AM

18 posts, read 31,915 times
Thanks for all your posts!
Decision still up in the air, but we'll see where I'll end up!

Old 11-11-2009, 02:22 PM

I wish you the best in your moving search.
My heart is still stuck on Denver... as soon as the housing slump gets a little better. can't afford to take a hugh loss on our house here in FL.

Let me know what you decide.

Quote:
Thanks for all your posts!
Decision still up in the air, but we'll see where I'll end up!

Old 11-12-2009, 11:20 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,731,058 times
cool decision, man. I like it when people show an adventurous spirit. Denver will definitely be a big change for you in climate, people, mountains, etc. and you'll enjoy the novelty of it for at least a couple years. (Or like some people you might really love colorado and stay here for a long time.)

Either way, cool. There's a lot of outdoors stuff to keep you happy, even in the winter. you'll have to get the right cold-weather clothes and stuff, but no hassles there. Every one always thinks of skiing in the winter, but there's also hiking and backpacking. Here's a pic I took hiking somewhere last winter.

I've even fished for trout in mountain streams in the middle of winter. Not a productive season to do it, but fun and interesting nonetheless.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Denver from South Florida-wintertime-005.jpg  

Old 11-12-2009, 01:41 PM

Nice pic. I love the solitude and peace of the mountains.
They are a great place to relieve stress and just ponder on the wonders of nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
cool decision, man. I like it when people show an adventurous spirit. Denver will definitely be a big change for you in climate, people, mountains, etc. and you'll enjoy the novelty of it for at least a couple years. (Or like some people you might really love colorado and stay here for a long time.)

Either way, cool. There's a lot of outdoors stuff to keep you happy, even in the winter. you'll have to get the right cold-weather clothes and stuff, but no hassles there. Every one always thinks of skiing in the winter, but there's also hiking and backpacking. Here's a pic I took hiking somewhere last winter.

I've even fished for trout in mountain streams in the middle of winter. Not a productive season to do it, but fun and interesting nonetheless.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:29 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,731,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFrench View Post
Nice pic. I love the solitude and peace of the mountains.
They are a great place to relieve stress and just ponder on the wonders of nature.
I took that pic about 4 miles into a hike I was doing. I was trying to get to an alpine lake but lost the trail under the snow and couldn't go any farther.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: