Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 02:00 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I just got off the airplane in New Orleans and have to think that you are joking.
I do understand why people don't like high humidity and heat. But that has more to do with the heat then the humidity. I have experienced everything from 0% to 100% humidity, including with heat. But even heat humidity just makes you all wet and sweaty. At least it doesn't chap your lips and skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 02:06 PM

897 posts, read 1,252,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I do understand why people don't like high humidity and heat. But that has more to do with the heat then the humidity. I have experienced everything from 0% to 100% humidity, including with heat. But even heat humidity just makes you all wet and sweaty. At least it doesn't chap your lips and skin.
Wrong again, I hate high humidity in any weather - cold or hot.

My skin is just fine here, and my lips get chapped only in the winter time (as it did in NYC). You act like we all shrivel up like raisins the moment we step off the plane. Get a grip.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:09 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
It's currently 87 degrees and 66% humidity in New Orleans but the Weather Channel says it feels like 95 degrees and there is a heat advisory

It's currently 83 degrees and 21% humidity in Denver but the Weather Channel says it feels like 80 degrees and there is no heat advisory.

I can tell you that the humidity, and not the 4 degrees, is the differentiating factor and why I would much rather be in Denver for the weather. We can discuss the merits of each city in another thread.

It's also why I'm much happier on a 35 degree day in Denver than a 45 degree day in New York.

I do feel I have discussed this subject with you ad nauseam in other threads and you don't want to understand it so you won't.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:13 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
It's currently 87 degrees and 66% humidity in New Orleans but the Weather Channel says it feels like 95 degrees and there is a heat advisory

It's currently 83 degrees and 21% humidity in Denver but the Weather Channel says it feels like 80 degrees and there is no heat advisory.

I can tell you that the humidity, and not the 4 degrees, is the differentiating factor and why I would much rather be in Denver.

It's also why I'm much happier on a 35 degree day in Denver than a 45 degree day in New York.

I do feel I have discussed this subject with you ad nauseam in other threads and you don't want to understand it so you won't.
I find the summer humidity levels in Denver to be just right. No chapped lips or hands, nor do I sweat Winter? Yes, I lotion up every day and run a humidifier at night.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:18 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:

I can tell you that the humidity, and not the 4 degrees, is the differentiating factor and why I would much rather be in Denver for the weather. We can discuss the merits of each city in another thread.

If you think that is bad, try living in Tokyo for a while, where in the summer it's 95°F with 95% humidity at 3AM. But I'm still not sure that is any worse then super low humidity. I'd rather have it right around 50%.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:23 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Try living in Tokyo for a while, where in the summer it's 95°F with 95% humidity at 3AM.
I've been there in the summer and I agree it's horrible. Awesome city though.

The lack of humidity in Denver is also why even if it hits 95 during the day, I can open up my windows at night and flip on my whole house fan because it's dropped to 68.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:49 PM

471 posts, read 600,536 times
When comparing humidity, using the relative humidity percentage is worthless. You have to use dewpoint, which is absolute humidity.

Denver could be 26 degrees with 80% humidity and be far drier than LA at 45% humidity at 68 degrees.

Denver is cold and dry, which is usually drier than warm and dry as colder air holds less moisture.

Denver air in the winter is unbelievably dry, to the point of being irritating and even painful. Dewpoints regularly are in the negatives.

Summers can be pleasant with dewpoints in the 40s-50s.

Ideal comfort is usually dewpoints in the high 50s to low 60s.

Couple that with temperatures in the 70s and you have the perfect combination of humidity and temps.

Denver rarely ever has that combo. about 37 days a year

Los Angeles has over 180 days a year.

Number of Pleasant days a year by City

US Cities with most pleasant days

Old 07-23-2015, 04:01 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
We have a bet when we go to Denver on who gets a bloody nose first from the dryness.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:52 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We have a bet when we go to Denver on who gets a bloody nose first from the dryness.
I never had one on visits to Denver but for some reason, I am plagued with them when I have been to Albuquerque. They always seem to hit me in restaurants in ABQ, or at the motel and I ruin the pillow. I'm wondering if the warmth from the food, mixed with the high altitude and dryness triggers them. At least when I'm in the restaurants. Some of these nosebleeds have been pretty bad. Make sure you have a handy supply of tissue, if you suspect you may have to deal with nose bleeds in Denver. As well as moisturizers made specifically to keep nasal passages moist.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:20 PM

137 posts, read 196,844 times
Quote:
Try training in body armor and the rest of the kit in during a Virginia summer. You will learn to hate the humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver