U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 11:46 AM

5 posts, read 16,353 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Denver and am avid snowboarder. I want to get my
kids into skiing very soon - toddlers now.

I am thinking of buying a Summit pass due to the value and many places I can ride - and I want to take my son with me and drop him off in a kids program in the morning so I can have a couple hours to ride on my own.
Eventually he can show me his moves and we can ski a bit together too!

Does anyone's young kids participate in any of these toddler+ ski programs for their kids? Or maybe even a mommy and me program?
Can you recommend a good mountain that provides such a program with good value? I plan on frequenting the mountain often.

I am not familiar yet with the mountain resorts near Denver... I am from Northern California and accustomed to Donner Summit and North Lake Tahoe mountains.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 02:17 PM

33 posts, read 106,509 times
Checkout Copper Mountain... its owned by Intrawest which generally has a good toddler/young children's all-day and half-day ski programs. WinterPark has also recently been purchased by Intrawest and may be instituting similar programs. We only found 1/2 day programs at Breck (good thing about Breck is they start lessons at 2.5 yrs (if memory serves)).

Old 11-10-2009, 02:58 PM

5 posts, read 16,353 times
Thanks for the info! How far are Breckenridge and Copper from Denver?
Is it more than 90 minutes to get there? (pending weather I suppose).

By the way, I am going to have to play "weekend warrior" a lot. How is traffic to the mountain
on weekends?

Old 11-10-2009, 04:02 PM

229 posts, read 672,396 times
The traffic stinks.

You might want to look at this stuff - Snow - Lesson Packages (http://www.snow.com/passsales/learn%20to%20ski.aspx - broken link)

Other smaller places are supposed to have good child lessons for probably a good value - like Loveland, Arapahoe Basin, Ski Cooper (different than Copper Mountain), and Eldora (like Eldorables - Eldora Mountain Resort - Programs: Eldorables )

Old 11-10-2009, 04:03 PM

9 posts, read 30,018 times
It's about 90 minutes to 120 minutes to both (Copper is further down 70 and just off the interstate and the Breck exit is earlier but you have to drive a two lane highway into town). Traffic is flat out awful on the weekends. If you are going to go then I would recommend getting out the door very early (ie 6 a.m. ish) and leaving the mountain no later than 1 or 2. Stick with this and you'll avoid the traffic jams.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:12 AM

1,700 posts, read 4,065,984 times
My kids liked Copper, and they got a tubing hill too that's pretty nice. Definitely leave early, they'll probably be tired after lunch anyway.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:53 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,043,653 times
Loveland has a good 10-3:30 program with school and lunch for kids 4+.

My kids all started at Breckenridge but moved on after a couple of lessons to Loveland.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:32 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,430,517 times
My vote's for Loveland.

They've got a good kid's ski program there and it's the shortest drive from Denver while still having lots of terrain for you to play on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or