U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:39 AM

809 posts, read 2,169,363 times
Default Denver Vacation in December - what to do?

We are taking a vacation to Denver in December for 3-5 days. We are two couples in our late twenties to late thirties. No kids. We've never skied before and probably won't try it this time.

What should we do while we are in Denver? We'd like to enjoy the snow and views of the mountains since we don't have that where we live (Houston, TX). And we'd like to visit some bars in the evenings.

Where should we look for a hotel since we won't need to be at a ski resort?

Also, is there another nearby city in Colorado that we should check out while there?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 09:34 AM

3,814 posts, read 5,048,077 times
Boulder is a neat place to visit, I think you should drive there and check it out.
If I need to stay in Denver, I use priceline.com or something like that to find an inexpensive hotel downtown. If you stay downtown it puts you within a lot of the spots you're mostly likely to visit.

A neat place to go out at night is Jazz at Jacks, which is a nightclub on the mall. A performing artist from Atlanta recently filmed the video of his version of the cover song for Tears for Fears at JAJ. If you search youtube for the song "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" you can locate this particular video.

The Rocky Mountains in wintertime are an awesome spectacle, so don't miss out on the opportunity to drive up to the mountains: Dillon, Georgetown, Evergreen, Winter Park ... any of those places will give you spectacular scenery.

Have fun.

80skeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
We are taking a vacation to Denver in December for 3-5 days. We are two couples in our late twenties to late thirties. No kids. We've never skied before and probably won't try it this time.

What should we do while we are in Denver? We'd like to enjoy the snow and views of the mountains since we don't have that where we live (Houston, TX). And we'd like to visit some bars in the evenings.

Where should we look for a hotel since we won't need to be at a ski resort?

Also, is there another nearby city in Colorado that we should check out while there?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 855,393 times
If you are going to be in town for 3-5 days, I would recommend taking one day and heading down to Colorado Springs. You can drive to the top of Pikes Peak 14,000+ ft (or take a cog railway if you want the scenic route) Then stop at the "Garden of the Gods" park on the way home (its on the way) Both places are something you will NEVER see in Houston. Pikes peak has a fee, but Garden of the Gods is free.

Another day I would head west on I-70 out to Breckenridge. You will get a real sense of the the mountains and its a great place to just walk around. On the way back, you can stop at Idaho Springs and get a pizza at Beau Jo's Pizza. Its iconic and it nestled in an old gold mining town. If you have time and are into this type of thing, you can tour the Argo gold mine. Its kind of touristy, but interesting nonetheless. Idaho springs is only about 30 minutes out of downtown. If possible, avoid the mountain towns on the weekends. Its bad traffic, crowds and parking is difficult. On the weekends, especially in ski season, I-70 in the mountains can easily slow to a crawl and a 45 minute drive easily becomes 2 hours.

Nav

Old 11-22-2009, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the advice so far! Anything we shouldn't miss while in Denver?

Old 11-23-2009, 03:58 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,318,549 times
I confess I haven't seen it in person (yet), but photos of the State Capitol and the City/County Building in December make it look like something to at least *see* in person...especially if you're lucky enough to catch it in a "light" snow.

While you're there I figure a stroll (or hop the shuttle if it's too chilly to walk that day) up 16th Street might be kind of fun that time of year.

If you'll be staying downtown at all you might check out (depending on your budget) The Brown Palace Hotel, The Curtis, Hotel Teatro, The Warwick or The Oxford. (all very different, all with something to offer...I've worked with a company that does promotional materials for hotels and so I know a little about those.)

As for activities in Denver proper during December, I'll have to leave that to those more in the know.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:21 AM

40 posts, read 92,296 times
Even if you do not ski the ski areas are very fun places to check out in the winter. They have really good places to eat as well as bars that have a pretty lively night life! Copper and Breck are two of the mountains that I would check out for sure, great place to enjoy the snow as well

Old 11-26-2009, 06:08 PM

Thanks guys!! Any other ideas of what we can do while in Denver? Or should be maybe go to another city in Colorado?

Which ski area should we visit (though we aren't going to ski)?

Old 11-27-2009, 08:57 AM

8,585 posts, read 18,727,491 times
Don't go visit a ski area if you are not going to ski. If you want to visit a mountain town, try Georgetown, or Silverthorne (outlet shops) or Aspen, Vail, Glenwood Springs.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the tips! Rep points for all

Any other suggestions of things to do in Denver or other areas to drive to?

Looks like we will be going for 6 days. But 2 of those days we will be at Black Hawk, CO so I'd love suggestions for there too. We don't want to spend the whole two days gambling

Old 12-04-2009, 10:00 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,479,345 times
You could buy some cheap sleds or inner tubes to play in the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver