U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 03:43 PM

40 posts, read 85,851 times
I'll be the odd ball out. My husband and I moved from SoCal to Denver (Littleton to be exact) about 4 years ago. We hate it here and are in the process of moving back. We are in escrow for a house back in San Diego.
So, yes, we do regret our move. If we knew the market was going to crash, we would've stayed put.
I hate the winters here. They seem to get worse and worse every year (and this is coming from a native NY'er). We joined tons of social activities/groups, but it seems we couldn't establish a really good social network.
Another thing we noted is that people out here really don't like transplants. I don't get that- but whatever.
For us, there's no culture out here. We aren't used to that. We are an interracial couple and some of the comments and looks we've gotten are absolutely ridiculous.
Jobs pay much less out here, if you can find one. My husband is employed by an out of state company, but when I first moved out here, I went from one dead-end job to another dead end job. I hoped it wouldn't be that way since I went to college to avoid that. Even now, jobs are hard to come by and the pay is terrible.
This is just our experience. We just can't 'love' Denver like most people do. We're coastal, beach people. We thought we could 'love' it, but we can't. You have to be happy where you live.
Please don't decide to move or not move based on a forum. You need to come out here, and not on a fun vacation, but pretend it's real life. Vacations are great, but shoveling snow, driving in ice, looking for a job, etc....that's real life.
I wish you the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 04:30 PM

11,728 posts, read 23,064,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaphant View Post
I'll be the odd ball out. My husband and I moved from SoCal to Denver (Littleton to be exact) about 4 years ago. We hate it here and are in the process of moving back. We are in escrow for a house back in San Diego.
So, yes, we do regret our move. If we knew the market was going to crash, we would've stayed put.
I hate the winters here. They seem to get worse and worse every year (and this is coming from a native NY'er). We joined tons of social activities/groups, but it seems we couldn't establish a really good social network.
Another thing we noted is that people out here really don't like transplants. I don't get that- but whatever.
For us, there's no culture out here. We aren't used to that. We are an interracial couple and some of the comments and looks we've gotten are absolutely ridiculous.
Jobs pay much less out here, if you can find one. My husband is employed by an out of state company, but when I first moved out here, I went from one dead-end job to another dead end job. I hoped it wouldn't be that way since I went to college to avoid that. Even now, jobs are hard to come by and the pay is terrible.
This is just our experience. We just can't 'love' Denver like most people do. We're coastal, beach people. We thought we could 'love' it, but we can't. You have to be happy where you live.
Please don't decide to move or not move based on a forum. You need to come out here, and not on a fun vacation, but pretend it's real life. Vacations are great, but shoveling snow, driving in ice, looking for a job, etc....that's real life.
I wish you the best.
Well there's your problem.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Well there's your problem.
True, but you HAVE to try new things to see/find out what you really love.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:48 PM

8,522 posts, read 10,946,686 times
Quote:
I wish you the best.
I'm going to start by saying that I hope you enjoy San Diego.

-It might be because you live in Littleton. A move across the metro could have changed your experiences enormously.

-Winters are much worse other places. I guess perspective is key.

-I've been here about 2.5 years (thus I am a transplant), and I don't have a vast social network (I'm 26). I don't need other people to be happy.

-People that don't like transplants are likely transplants themselves. Ironic, I know. I've never encountered nativist hostility here, at least not face-to-face. Many of my friends are natives.

-There isn't anything but middle-America suburban culture in Littleton. Culture abounds in parts of the city/inner-ring.

-I think that the issues you've faced as an interracial couple may be either perceived, or in your head, or maybe because IR couples are likely pretty rare in Littleton. For example, in Aurora (even the wealthier parts), you would have been commonplace. If you choose to ignore racism, it'll be harder to see.

-I love how people become disappointed with the local environment/setting/weather, etc, as if they expected it to be a different way.

-I don't love Denver, I used to though. I'll say that I barely like it now, but even so, you have to take it for what it is and not for what you want it to be. That's the only thing keeping me going. Attitude is key.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:31 PM

Here's what I find quite funny about this post. The OP asked if anyone regretted moving from SoCal to Denver. I responded with my experience. I've had two posters chime in to tell me all the reasons I'm wrong or the reasons it's my fault that we didn't like Denver. No, you have to love where you live- period. You shouldn't have to adjust to the environment. You should just be YOU in the environment.

I get why people love Denver- but it's just not for us. I didn't bash it, I just said why it didn't work for us.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Here's what I find quite funny about this post. The OP asked if anyone regretted moving from SoCal to Denver. I responded with my experience. I've had two posters chime in to tell me all the reasons I'm wrong or the reasons it's my fault that we didn't like Denver. No, you have to love where you live- period. You shouldn't have to adjust to the environment. You should just be YOU in the environment.

I get why people love Denver- but it's just not for us. I didn't bash it, I just said why it didn't work for us.
I completely agree.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:56 PM

11,728 posts, read 23,064,489 times
Quote:
I've had two posters chime in to tell me all the reasons I'm wrong or the reasons it's my fault that we didn't like Denver.
I'm not saying you're wrong to dislike Denver but its no surprise that a self-described beach person might have made a mistake moving 1,000 miles inland and a mile up. This should be a lesson to all the rest of the beach people out there. Stay on the coast if the ocean is that much a part of your lives.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:03 AM

Take away the coastal comment and look at all the other reasons I've listed (social networks, job outlooks). That's plenty of reason to regret moving to Denver.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Take away the coastal comment and look at all the other reasons I've listed (social networks, job outlooks). That's plenty of reason to regret moving to Denver.
I guess as long as one doesn't need an ocean, friends, or a job, then they'd be fine in Denver.

Everyone's experience varies. I'm sorry that Denver didn't work out for you. Best of luck in SD.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:09 PM

32 posts, read 96,844 times
I think few people are able to talk about SoCal to Denver and regrets like I am. Here's the story.

My wife and I moved from San Diego to Denver in June 07. At first we liked it, she loved it, I missed SoCal somewhat, but ultimately we had no regrets for leaving SoCal, and so we settled in and bought a house. Things we really enjoyed were the varied seasons, hot summers, snowy Christmas. Also the people we met in Colorado were far nicer, more welcoming, less "clicky" (sp?), more social. We made some great friends in Denver. Things that we're not so great was that I while my salary stayed the same, she is a nurse and took a $15K per year cut in pay along with the move. So while our housing costs went down, our income went down and it was about a wash, nothing gained there for us financially even though the house we bought was only $300K, something impossible in San Diego.

After a year, I thought I was missing SoCal. There were some extenuating circumstances that made me think I was not happy in Denver, but it turns out I was not happy with my job or the neighborhood we lived in, too far north up in Mead. So we moved back to San Diego in Sept 08. At first I was ecstatic. So to answer the OP's question, yes, I had regrets and eventually moved back. As expected, her pay went back up, but our rent was much higher than our mortgage back in Denver, so again, that was a wash. At first, I thought I would never leave SoCal again.

Now its been another year, and I realize that all the things that made us move to Colorado in the first place are still there, except now I realize even more that I miss about Colorado. I DO miss the change in seasons, Christmas looking like Christmas. I miss the quality friends we had in Denver. And I miss being able to afford a nice house that belongs to us, instead of renting a dump for 30% more money. Do I prefer to not have to shovel snow, yeah probably. But I also really like good skiing and Denver has it, SoCal doesn't. I'm not a beach person anymore, but if I was I'd never leave San Diego. If you are a beach lover, don't leave the beach, eh?

So all in all, I missed SoCal at first, and even moved back... but now I have come to realize that it was more my job, and other things that I wasn't happy with. Right now I do miss Denver and we're planning on trying to move back as soon as we can. Ultimately we just had a better overall quality of life in Denver. But its important to plan your life there properly. Find a neighborhood that suits you, there is a ton of variety at all price levels. If you want small town feel, try Erie. If you want an urban walkable neighborhood, try Cherry Creek or Boulder. If you want suburban family bedroom houses, try Broomfield up north or Parker or Highlands Ranch down south. Rent for a year and explore.

Having done both Denver and San Diego in the past three years, I am longing to be back in Denver, Erie specifically. That's just my $.02, and yes, I realize that I am a flake

Good luck your own personal decisions and remember, life is a journey, not a destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver