Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2007, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,447 times

Advertisements

Need some help.
We will move this summer from Germany to Denver with 2 kids (17 and 13) and looking for schools with French as foreign language (if possible). Also we need some advise regarding areas to live. What do you think about Arvada, Highlands, Rigde Wheat, Lakewood, Westminister,...
Thanks for all your help
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 11:08 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
Jefferson County: Wheat Ridge, Arvada, Lakewood, Westminster
Highlands? Could be a neighborhood in Denver (NW) or Highlands Ranch a city sized master planned community in Douglas County.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:12 AM

353 posts, read 503,669 times
Most middle and high schools offer French. I went to school in Jefferson County--Lakewood, Arvada, Wheat Ridge--and I took french for six years. That's probably the rule for most metro area school districts.

All the areas you listed are very nice. My favorites are Lakewood, Highlands Ranch, and Littleton.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:20 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
I'm thinking that the OP did mean Highlands the neighborhood in NW Denver rather than Highlands Ranch, since all the other cities mentioned are in the closer-in NW suburbs. Highlands is one of the hottest neighborhoods in the whole metro right now due to its nice proximity to downtown, stately Victorian housing, and rapidly gentrifying character, and neighborhood "downtowns" like Highlands Square and Tennyson Street. I think one reason for North Denver's popularity is that it has great proximity to the city, but is a little less urban and more neigborhood than Central Denver. Plus, the publicity surrounding the Highlands Bridge from Downtown has probably helped.

However, your other cities mentioned are mostly in Jefferson County while Highlands is in Denver under Denver Public Schools. While some DPS schools are excellent, North High School in the Highland neighborhood is sadly not one of them, at least not for most students. I'm not sure if NHS has French or not, but if you choose to live in Highlands I would consider alternatives to North High for high-school age kids. There's an organization called NW Parents for Excellent Schools that can probably provides some guidance on school options.

Some of the older parts of Wheat Ridge, Mountain View, Edgewater, and Lakewood are undergoing their own gentrification due to proximity to the NW Denver neighborhoods of Highlands, Berkeley, and Sloans Lake and their value-for-money housing prices. In fact, I think 5280 had Edgewater as one of their "10 hot 'hoods," -- though if it's in 5280 then that means it's definitely yesterday's news already. I will say that though Jeffco schools are generally excellent, they are not uniformly so, so I would advise looking into the local high schools (e.g., Jefferson High, Wheat Ridge HS, etc) to see if they're a good match for your kids.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:41 PM

3 posts, read 10,828 times
I would first check the state school report (http://reportcard.cde.state.co.us/reportcard/CommandHandler.jsp?cmdSelect=&GeoAreaType=2&school Location=2&ListItemName=Cities - broken link) to find high rated schools, and then search for homes within those districts:
Cherry Creek
East

Last edited by xxman777; 05-23-2007 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: Removed Commercial Link

Old 05-23-2007, 08:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Boulder Valley schools are highly rated; a little farther out.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,447 times
I was out of town so sorry for my late responds.
Thank you all for your comments and recommendations.
Right, with Highlands I thought about the north Denver area.
Christoph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver