Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:18 AM

57 posts, read 168,736 times

Advertisements

We are planning to come visit Denver in mid January 2010, and are looking into some possible towns/cities to live in in the future. We have two kids ages 4 and 6.
We are looking for a neighborhood where there are as many bike trails as possible close to the neighborhood and a neighborhood with side walks and quiet streets. It does not matter whether the neighborhood is new or old (though 0.5 acre of land would be nice), as long as the town has uniformly good schools and is not too close to the city, but within driving distance (30 min. or so), also somewhat convenient grocery shopping (within 2-3 miles).
We have been thinking about Lone Tree, Highland Ranch, Acres Green, Parker and Superior as possibilites. We also like Genesee and Evergreen for the beautiful nature, but are not sure if living here would be too inconvenient in terms of schools and shopping. Do these towns/cities meet our criteria? Are there any other you would recommend to look at?

Hoping someone has some input….
We wish you all Happy Holidays and a Wonderful New Year. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 11:11 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,442,530 times
There are not too many areas within 30 min of downtown Denver (which is I assume what you mean by "the city") that have 1/2 acre lots.

Most neighborhoods have grocery stores within a 2-3 mile radius.

Schools are generally good all over the metro area. I don't know where Acres Green is, but the other places you are considering have good schools. Douglas County (Lone Tree, Highlands Ranch, Parker) has a reputation for turning down school tax votes; this may come back to haunt them in years to come. Superior is in the Boulder Valley School District and the voters there are a little more likely to vote for school issues. Plus, BVSD isn't growing rapidly any more, so there isn't the need to build new schools that there once was.

Evergreen and Genessee are farther from the city in the foothills. It is maybe a 30 min drive in great weather with little traffic. Both areas are in the Jefferson Co. SD; good schools as far as I know.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:07 PM

698 posts, read 2,043,077 times
You don't state a price range but there are lots of areas that would fulfill your needs as there are great bike trails all over Denver. Boulder is especially known for its extensive and connected bike trail system, but prices are A LOT higher than around Denver. Good schools though.

My neighborhood in Westminster, Bradburn Village (30 min north of downtown, not far from Superior 120th Ave between Sheridan and Federal) has direct access to an extensive system of bike trails in the Big Dry Creek Open Space which is on the south side of the neighborhood:

Big Dry Creek Trail - City of Westminster, Colorado (http://www.ci.westminster.co.us/246_1671.htm - broken link)

Neighborhood is filled with bikers, mostly mountain but some road also and there are bike rides (challenging ones) organized in the neighborhood. Neighborhood has great schools and is filled with kids. You can walk to many stores/restaurants/services BUT it has small lots and is super, super social--if you are not interested in knowing your neighbors and your kids having tons of playmates right out the door, not a good fit.

You may also have a look in Louisville, tons of great bike trails there although I don't know of any specific neighborhoods that have direct access but I'm sure there are tons of them.

Good luck! The weather here is much more agreeable than it is in Boston.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:17 PM

Virtually every neighborhood in Louisivlle is accessible to the bike trails (within a few blocks).

Old 12-20-2009, 04:42 PM

18,192 posts, read 25,754,041 times
Katiana-Acres Green is a subdivision community off County line Road and say, between Yosemite and Havana. It's been some time since I had friends who lived in that area. If memory serves the subdivision was built in the early 80's. South side of County Line Rd., would make that Douglas County. Nice community, though! The one thing I remember is most, if not all the streets are named after planets, star systems, etc. (Alpha Centauri Rd., Neptune Dr.) Bi-levels, ranches. Again, not a bad community!

Old 12-20-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Katiana-Acres Green is a subdivision community off County line Road and say, between Yosemite and Havana. It's been some time since I had friends who lived in that area. If memory serves the subdivision was built in the early 80's. South side of County Line Rd., would make that Douglas County. Nice community, though! The one thing I remember is most, if not all the streets are named after planets, star systems, etc. (Alpha Centauri Rd., Neptune Dr.) Bi-levels, ranches. Again, not a bad community!
OK, that sounds familiar to me. I think there's a high school there named Centauri, which I always get confused with Centaurus HS in Lafayette, which is located in the Centaur Village subdivision. The streets there all have Greek names, e.g. Ceres Dr., Delphi Dr, etc. Must have been some sort of a fad at the time.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:42 PM

291 posts, read 909,682 times
Acres Green doesn't have a high school or Jr. High. The lots are good sized there and the west side has nicer homes. The east side has a lot of bi-levels, plus many of the homes on the east side have one car garages. My opinion is that the neighborhood has gone down hill over the last 20 years, with more trucks and campers parked in the drives and on the streets. It's looking more blue collar. The good news is that the east side which used to look rough has started to come back. Another positive is that they get their water from Denver Water so they don't have to depend on the depleting aquifier like Parker does.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:59 AM

57 posts, read 168,736 times
Which towns have bigger lots? - 1/3 acre would be ok. It is not like we do not want to see our neighbors but 0.1-0.15 acres, like many lots are, is small for us.

We will definitely look into Louisville the trail system sounds very attractive – is the trail system heavily used – crowded?

Are there bike trails around Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree area? And are there actually bike trails in the Evergreen/Genesee/Morrison area? – Or is it more “undeveloped” trails?

Jerry, you mention that Parker could have a water shortage issue in the future – are there other towns with similar issues? What is a typical water bill in the Denver area?(approx) – sounds like it could differ from area to area – which areas have the most expensive water? What areas have the most well-tasting water?

How is the commute from Superior/Louisville to Denver and back? Which area would be the best area to commute to Denver from: Superior/Louisville; Highlands Ranch/Lone tree; Golden/Genesee – off course provided you are close to the respective freeways.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:35 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,474,502 times
None of the places you mention are within 30 minutes of Denver. Some are well beyond that when you take traffic into consideration.

Denver simply does not have large lots. Remember, you are in the high desert. The concept of a large grassy yard is absurd.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:25 PM

80 posts, read 389,559 times
I am in the Boston area and moved with my husband to Highlands Ranch in fall of 2007. We rented and after a few months my husband decided Colorado was not for him. We are in our 50's so schools were not an issue.

My input is about the same as everyone else here. There is plenty to do for young families such as biking, skiing and many cities have great recreation centers with all sorts of activities for both adults and children. Having a large backyard is not something you will find there. Houses are basically side by side and if you can accept that it is a great place. Mountains are incredibly gorgeous and Denver is a fun city.

Highlands Ranch is a planned city and as such is surrounded by shopping and restaurants. It has a town center which is really very nice

My thoughts for you are to rent for a while and try it.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver