U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 08:21 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,292,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Your post is misleading. King Soopers was bought by the Dillon Companies in 1957 and it had 9 stores at that time. In 1983, Dillon merged with Kroger. So, it was not just a few years ago that it was bought by Kroger.

The Dillon Company and the Kroger Company were started as small regional companies. It is not about the "bogey-man" of the big corporations and they did not come in and "make a buck, and leave..." as you have said. These companies invested heavily in expanding the brand, and building bigger and better stores, that changed with the times. In addition, Kroger has developed a vertical integration with many of their fully owned manufacturing facilities that have given the consumer good value in the market.
. . .

King Soopers is considered the value leader in this Denver Market and have offered good customer service and products for years, without question. King Soopers has not "gone downhill" since the acquisition by Kroger or Dillon. I doubt that you can even remember the time before Dillon or Kroger, since it was a very long time ago, in a different era of grocery retailing, which I have experienced and it was not better.

Livecontent

First of all, I was around and I do remember, even if I said a "few years". I just philosophically disagree with the social philosophy of cheaper is better. The whole idea of vertical integration is control of the market, and ultimately the market competition is reduced and the consumers do suffer. Most of the country is now suffering from this philosophy carried to its ridiculous extreme. Uncurtailed growth is only good for those who have a financial investment in that aspect of the growth and we have abandoned the shared growth philosophy since, ironically the very 1980s that you apparently adore. What "vertical integration" has brought consumers is a computerized version of what products we are supposed to want at a local store. I can only think of four letter words to describe that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 09:25 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,296,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
First of all, I was around and I do remember, even if I said a "few years". I just philosophically disagree with the social philosophy of cheaper is better. The whole idea of vertical integration is control of the market, and ultimately the market competition is reduced and the consumers do suffer. Most of the country is now suffering from this philosophy carried to its ridiculous extreme. Uncurtailed growth is only good for those who have a financial investment in that aspect of the growth and we have abandoned the shared growth philosophy since, ironically the very 1980s that you apparently adore. What "vertical integration" has brought consumers is a computerized version of what products we are supposed to want at a local store. I can only think of four letter words to describe that.
I'm reading a book right now about what vertical integration has done to the pork industry. The negative results are simply astounding.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:21 AM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Quote:
I philosophically disagree with the philosophy of cheaper is better. The whole idea of vertical integration is control of the market, and ultimately the market competition is reduced and the consumers do suffer. Most of the country is now suffering from this philosophy carried to its ridiculous extreme. ..... What "vertical integration" has brought consumers is a computerized version of what products we are supposed to want at a local store. I can only think of four letter words to describe that.
Agree. In my KS, there's a WHOLE aisle, almost all of which is Frito-Lay products. Virtually every dip and salsa is made by, you guessed it, Frito Lay. Same for the cola aisle (coke/pepsi). Same for the bread aisle (Sara Lee, Orowheat). Two main choices, not much else, a tiny selection of products from the "also ran" purveyors. From reading biz mags for 40 years, I'm well aware that big producers offer large discounts to grocers (kickbacks?) for prime (chin-level) shelf space, and other anti-competitive practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I'm reading a book right now about what vertical integration has done to the pork industry. The negative results are simply astounding.
Sounds like one of the books I've read lately about food. Can you elaborate.

More and more I shun anything in any supermarket that is prepared (canned or frozen). We do more buying of basic foods: fresh meat and fish, fresh veggies and fruit; locally made bread. We drink iced tea which we make. I've bought a book (Roasted Vegetables) that has a ton of recipes for roasting veggies to make them taste great while holding onto nutrients.

Still, I like my KS for a number of reasons (size, variety, nice people).
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-04-2010 at 10:39 AM..

Old 02-04-2010, 10:26 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,269,755 times
King Soopers is not that great, it's just better than safeway and walmart and has a more complete selection than vitamin cottage.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:20 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,296,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Sounds like one of the books I've read lately about food. Can you elaborate.
It's called Righteous Porkchop: Finding A Life and Good Food Beyond Factory Farms. It was written by Nicollette Hahn Niman. I just started reading it but so far it's focusing on the environmental and political implications of factory farming, specifically regarding the pork industry and how drastically things changed when the owners of the slaughterhouses began raising the pigs for slaughter via factory farms.

Righteous Porkchop: Finding a Life and Good Food Beyond Factory Farms - by Nicolette Hahn Niman with Foreword by Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:32 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,514,698 times
Quote:
I do not agree with your generalized statements about vertical integration because I know that sometimes quality and less expensive products are the results.

Cheaper may not be better for you. However, there are people who can only survive with less expensive food and other products. The whole world is not composed of over compensated, under-worked and over opinionated Americans who can well afford to pay more and need customized luxury items for their lifestyles. They force the expenditures of capital and the utilization of earth resources into producing and consuming non-essentials and expensive commodities, while many of the world starves.

However, your opinions in this online debate is welcomed, read and noted, but agreement is not a required part of the encounter.

Livecontent

Old 02-05-2010, 01:14 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,045,078 times
I also don't shop at Whole Foods just because all my friends do or I can afford it. I actually prefer my local super Walmart because it's close and carries essentially the same items as KS at everyday low prices. For produce I usually get them from a local Sunflower Mkt since I've always had good stuff from there, and some of their organic/local variety are a lot lower priced than similar competitors'.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:05 PM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
It's called Righteous Porkchop: Finding A Life and Good Food Beyond Factory Farms. It was written by Nicollette Hahn Niman. I just started reading it but so far it's focusing on the environmental and political implications of factory farming, specifically regarding the pork industry and how drastically things changed when the owners of the slaughterhouses began raising the pigs for slaughter via factory farms.

Righteous Porkchop: Finding a Life and Good Food Beyond Factory Farms - by Nicolette Hahn Niman with Foreword by Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
Thanks for the info. I've read the book and just shake my head at what goes on in the name of efficiency and cheap eats.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:33 AM

1 posts, read 874 times
King Sooper is a good member of our community.
They had faith to hire a Shriners Crippled child. On January 6, 2012 she will be working for King Soopers as a cashier for twenty years. I am her very proud Father. A big thanks to Shriners Crippled Childrens Hospital and to King Sooper/Dillon Companies/Kroger.

James Hardin
[email]mrcup427@aol.com[/email]

Old 12-29-2011, 10:22 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,884,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hardin View Post
King Sooper is a good member of our community.
They had faith to hire a Shriners Crippled child. On January 6, 2012 she will be working for King Soopers as a cashier for twenty years. I am her very proud Father. A big thanks to Shriners Crippled Childrens Hospital and to King Sooper/Dillon Companies/Kroger.

James Hardin
mrcup427@aol.com
They have hired many adults with developmental disabilities as well. I often see adults with Down Syndrome working successfully and happily as many different King Soopers as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or