U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 08:00 AM

6,393 posts, read 1,273,075 times

Advertisements

I personally hate King Soopers, too, mainly because the aisles are so crowded and the staff is NOT friendly OR helpful, imo, and I will avoid it if I possibly can. Also, in my experience, Safeway and King Soopers are much more expensive than Albertson's and they have those stupid card programs that one must use to get sale prices. The only thing worse is the Wal-Mart grocery when it is part of the main store. (The WM Neighborhood markets are much better, though.) I don't know why so many people in Colorado are fans of King Soopers -- I can only surmise that it because they are so prevalent and have a long history here, and many people are creatures of habit!

I MUCH prefer Albertson's, even though they are very scattered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 08:14 AM

70 posts, read 71,437 times
The only King Soopers worth going to is the large one on Leetsdale in Glendale. The rest seem shady in some aspect or another. I go to the Leetsdale location for large shopping trips. Natural Grocers or Whole Foods for other quick stops for better quality meat/produce.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:18 AM

1,801 posts, read 2,071,616 times
I've had no problems with the King Soopers I've been to, but perhaps it just depends on which store/area you are in. I mainly go to the one on Dry Creek/University in Centennial and it's just fine. Big and has a decent deli and some things you don't find in Safeway/Albertsons. I also occasionally go to the one on Arapahoe and it's fine, too, but a bit smaller and little more limited selection. The employees have always seemed respectful and helpful at both locations.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:50 AM

12,245 posts, read 8,036,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I personally hate King Soopers, too, mainly because the aisles are so crowded and the staff is NOT friendly OR helpful, imo, and I will avoid it if I possibly can. Also, in my experience, Safeway and King Soopers are much more expensive than Albertson's and they have those stupid card programs that one must use to get sale prices. The only thing worse is the Wal-Mart grocery when it is part of the main store. (The WM Neighborhood markets are much better, though.) I don't know why so many people in Colorado are fans of King Soopers -- I can only surmise that it because they are so prevalent and have a long history here, and many people are creatures of habit!

I MUCH prefer Albertson's, even though they are very scattered.
I am the complete opposite and I can't stand Albertson's. I have found them to be more expensive and a lot of them have closed down in the last few years.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:03 AM

6,393 posts, read 1,273,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I am the complete opposite and I can't stand Albertson's. I have found them to be more expensive and a lot of them have closed down in the last few years.
Just curious -- where do you live?

I live in south Jeffco and go to the Albertson's on South Kipling -- and when I am FORCED to go to the King Soopers (because it is much closer to where I live), I go to the one at Belleview and Kipling, I always have a bad experience; it is just TERRIBLE, imo. I also hate the KS at Chatfield and Wadsworth AND the one at Pierce and Coal Mine AND the one on Colorado Blvd. (Those are the only four KS I've tried, though, so maybe it is just those four that are bad?)

The only complaint I have with Albertson's is their stock rotation! They are remiss about removing expired items from their shelves.

Maybe it just depends on the location and specific store!

Old 03-04-2015, 09:11 AM

12,245 posts, read 8,036,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Just curious -- where do you live?

I live in south Jeffco and go to the Albertson's on South Kipling -- and when I am FORCED to go to the King Soopers (because it is much closer to where I live), I go to the one at Belleview and Kipling, I always have a bad experience; it is just TERRIBLE, imo. I also hate the KS at Chatfield and Wadsworth AND the one at Pierce and Coal Mine AND the one on Colorado Blvd. (Those are the only four KS I've tried, though, so maybe it is just those four that are bad?)

The only complaint I have with Albertson's is their stock rotation! They are remiss about removing expired items from their shelves.

Maybe it just depends on the location and specific store!
I am in Highlands Ranch. I literally have 3 King Soopers within a 6 mile radius from my house. All are clean and all have very helpful/friendly employees. It definitely could be a location thing.

Occasionally we shop at Safeway in the same area. If I could do all my shopping at Costco I would but some things in bulk just do not last in my house due to expiration.

My experience with Albertsons is dated. The only one I have been to recently is the one on Smoky Hill and 470. My in laws live near it and we stop in there on the way to their house. I can't base my current experience there off stopping for one or two items at a time.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:30 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
I use the Albertsons in Lowry once a week and like it. It's clean, not overcrowded (like the Stapleton KS) and produce is usually good.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:56 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,818,955 times
We found Albertsons in Miami expensive-they closed down.

I like King Soopers. I do miss Publix and Harris Teeter from when I lived in Charlotte. Sometimes I'll hit Walmart but during the week to ease the crowds

Old 03-04-2015, 10:04 AM

17,087 posts, read 9,800,340 times
There must be a great deal of variation among locations. The stores on the south end of town are great. In fact, the King Soopers at Holly and Orchard is really, really nice for a middle-of-the-road grocery.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:30 AM

14,920 posts, read 11,133,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
There must be a great deal of variation among locations. The stores on the south end of town are great. In fact, the King Soopers at Holly and Orchard is really, really nice for a middle-of-the-road grocery.
I try to shop at King Soopers as little as possible (I can remember when they were a locally owned, decent grocery store). More than once I've bought prepared food from KS, taken one bite, and then thrown it away. In general, their house brands are garbage. I've also had 2 or 3 horrible customer services experiences at King Soopers over the years.

The worst was a few years ago right after they installed those awful self-checker stations. I was shopping at around 11 PM due to my work schedule (as I'd done many times at that KS previously), and I had a full cart of groceries - 20 or so bags, $150 or more. When I went to check out, they only had the self-check station open. I asked the attendant if somebody could check me out at a regular isle, and the response was "no - we only have the self-checkers own. You'll have to use these."

I left the cart where it was and walked out of the store, and I didn't set foot in a King Soopers again for about 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or