U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:29 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,543,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
While I can't disagree with you that Whole Foods is way overpriced, I'm confused as to what you consider to be "luxury foods"? Are foods produced the old fashioned way, without pesticides, chemicals, genetic modification, high fructose corn syrup, etc. luxuries?
I can write much on this issue but, with respect, I do disagree with your generalized statement. Old fashion does not always mean better; without pesticides, chemicals, genetic modifications are not always the best, most productive way or healthy. High Fructose Corn Syrup--the manufacture, use and applications are complicated and do not fit well, again, into a shot gun approach to the issues of food production and distribution. I do agree that the debate and continual review of these issues are important but it is not a matter of just a yes or a no.

In some ways your are being fed a bunch of lies by the marketing of natural, organic, old fashioned etc. Many are laughing all the way to the bank and pocketing from the deceptions. Yes, authentic products that carry these description are an important and welcomed part of the marketplace but must be genuine, have truth, and must be honestly priced.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-03-2010 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
It's absolutely no secret that Wal-Mart dictates pricing to its suppliers. Either you find a way to make the products at a price Wal-Mart decides or Wal-Mart won't carry your product. So, a majority of the suppliers are forced to move production to China or find themselves excluded from Wal-Mart shelves. Companies like Ohio Art (the Etch-a-sketch folks) and Levi Strauss have had to move thousands of manufacturing jobs to sweatshops in China thanks to Wal-Mart. Again, a byproduct of "I want my lower prices."

Sam Walton also stressed buying American. Now his heirs stress "Buy Chinese."

Do benefits put people in houses? Do benefits buy clothing, food, and shelter? No. Wages do. There's a balance between wages and benefits. Wal-Mart could offer all their employees totally free health care, but their $8 or $9/hour wage isn't gonna help their standard of living.

Lower prices are not the be-all, end-all. Lowering cost comes at a price. Layoffs, outsourcing, and a lowered standard of living. If you're willing to slit your own throat to save 10 cents on a can of baked beans, help yourself.
Your understanding of wholesale pricing is not totally correct. Manufacturer must produce a product that can be consumed (bought) and that includes competitive pricing. There are much more issues than I have time to debate.

Livecontent

Old 01-03-2010, 01:01 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,527,827 times
I have 10 family members who have worked for King Soopers (some retired). This includes me. I worked at the Holly & Arapahoe store and the Yosemite and Bellview. I worked in the Deli.
BTW...in the mountain towns and usually the front range (like where I live in Canon City)...Vail, Breckenridge, Woodland Park, etc.... they are called City Market,...still Kroger/King Soopers.fyi.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:48 PM

4,448 posts, read 7,192,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
You post is based on thought patterns of the college "group think" with little knowledge of real commerce.

Livecontent
That'd be funny if I didn't drop out of college because I didn't belong there. Actually, I guess it's funny Because I dropped out. You're stereotyping without factual information, kinda weakens your (emotional) arguments on this subject further. I'm not into debating with someone who's going emotional because there's no 'out'.

Normally I really like your posts and agree with them. They tend to be well written, thoughtful, and right on the money (as far as I'm concerned). You've failed on all 3 counts here though (from my perspective).

Back to your regularly scheduled flame-fest.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:55 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,308,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I can write much on this issue but, with respect, I do disagree with your generalized statement. Old fashion does not always mean better; without pesticides, chemicals, genetic modifications are not always the best, most productive way or healthy. High Fructose Corn Syrup--the manufacture, use and applications are complicated and do not fit well, again, into a shot gun approach to the issues of food production and distribution. I do agree that the debate and continual review of these issues are important but it is not a matter of just a yes or a no.

In some ways your are being fed a bunch of lies by the marketing of natural, organic, old fashioned etc. Many are laughing all the way to the bank and pocketing from the deceptions. Yes, authentic products that carry these description are an important and welcomed part of the marketplace but must be genuine, have truth, and must be honestly priced.

Livecontent
This is too far off topic to get into a debate but I cannot see any upsides for eating chemicals, pesticides and genetically modified foods other then higher profits for the people producing the foods. I also can't see the upside in eating ALL of my food laced with High Fructose Corn Syrup or GM Soy. I read ingredient labels when I grocery shop and those two ingredients are in EVERYTHING. Those two ingredients are questionable at best and eating them consistently does not seem like a good idea to me. If I wasn't reading food labels, I would be eating those two things with every. single. meal.

Don't assume that I'm being fed a bunch of lies and being reeled in by marketing of natural and organic foods. I have a daughter with food allergies and sensitivities which has forced me to do a lot of reading and research on various food related topics over the years. I am aware that there is a lot of false advertising and deception in the natural foods and organic market, just as there is in any other market where people are out to make a profit. I have done research in order to find companies that are responsible and who do what they say they are doing in terms of food production. I am also a very frugal person. I have spent time comparing prices and I often buy items through co-ops and in bulk. I love Vitamin Cottage so much because they actually care about quality while at the same time having the cheapest prices in town as far as quality natural and organic foods go, even cheaper then King Soopers.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
That'd be funny if I didn't drop out of college because I didn't belong there. Actually, I guess it's funny Because I dropped out. You're stereotyping without factual information, kinda weakens your (emotional) arguments on this subject further. I'm not into debating with someone who's going emotional because there's no 'out'.

Normally I really like your posts and agree with them. They tend to be well written, thoughtful, and right on the money (as far as I'm concerned). You've failed on all 3 counts here though (from my perspective).

Back to your regularly scheduled flame-fest.
Thank you, I deserved your admonition. I was wrong to bring up the college issue; it did not belong in the discussion. I did finish degrees at a few colleges, but I do not think I am any brighter or smarter than you. Eh, I know quite a bit about manufacturing, food specifications, food retailing and wholesaling but that really does not make my opinion superior to yours.

Livecontent

Old 01-03-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
This is too far off topic to get into a debate but I cannot see any upsides for eating chemicals, pesticides and genetically modified foods other then higher profits for the people producing the foods. I also can't see the upside in eating ALL of my food laced with High Fructose Corn Syrup or GM Soy. I read ingredient labels when I grocery shop and those two ingredients are in EVERYTHING. Those two ingredients are questionable at best and eating them consistently does not seem like a good idea to me. If I wasn't reading food labels, I would be eating those two things with every. single. meal.

Don't assume that I'm being fed a bunch of lies and being reeled in by marketing of natural and organic foods. I have a daughter with food allergies and sensitivities which has forced me to do a lot of reading and research on various food related topics over the years. I am aware that there is a lot of false advertising and deception in the natural foods and organic market, just as there is in any other market where people are out to make a profit. I have done research in order to find companies that are responsible and who do what they say they are doing in terms of food production. I am also a very frugal person. I have spent time comparing prices and I often buy items through co-ops and in bulk. I love Vitamin Cottage so much because they actually care about quality while at the same time having the cheapest prices in town as far as quality natural and organic foods go, even cheaper then King Soopers.
No, I do believe you do your research and you probably know much more about some very specific issues. We may not agree on some issues but that is alright with me.

I am also a fan of Vitamin Cottage because they carry many bulk items that are harder to find and are reasonably priced. In addition, I feel more comfortable in Vitamin Cottage than Whole Foods--it is just more homey and a just a little bit of a feeling of the hippie vegetarian stores from the 1960s that I remember.

Whole Foods is just too glitzy for me. I want a store with the odors, aromas, smells and perhaps a little patina of age. I guess it is from my youth when I remember the old ethnic markets with the smell of Baccala and look of it, standing as stiff large slabs against the wall. I would go there and get slices of Bologna, Mortadella from the Italians, that where cut from huge 8-10 casings...and the slabs of hot pastrami in the Jewish Deli...the smell of the Pickles... The stores were a little old; the people were older and poorer. You could hear the families shouting at each other in the living quarters in the back... That is why I prefer the older areas of North Denver or even closer to real authenticity--the Asian ethnic area near Federal and Alameda.

Livecontent

Old 01-03-2010, 05:40 PM

8,271 posts, read 26,326,521 times
Quick anecdote, off-topic I know.

I once worked for a company that sold a software product to Wal-Mart. License fees exceeded 5MM which was a peanuts deal for them but was huge for us.

Wal-Mart bent us over a barrel. Our professional services were basically given away to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars. We had engineers onsite for months at a time to work out the intricacies of their systems. Along the way many of us got a pretty good glimpse into how Wal-Mart operates (and what makes them so successful).

The secret is.... they are cheap. They are cheap on everything. The cubicle you work in? The smallest, cheapest one you've ever seen. Desktop PC? Cheapest money can buy. I can't get too specific but let's just say this extends pretty far into areas where the cheapest option is usually a very poor option indeed.

So please don't think that Wal-Mart is some balanced example of the supply-demand laws of business - they aren't. Wal-Mart is all about cheap, from prices on goods to wages and benefits for employees. Take that for whatever it's worth. It's most interesting that Target has carved out such a strong niche by appealing to people who are basically embarassed to shop at Wal-Mart. It turns out that not everyone is necessarily looking to buy the cheapest possible product.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:01 PM

267 posts, read 1,258,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Quick anecdote, off-topic I know.

So please don't think that Wal-Mart is some balanced example of the supply-demand laws of business - they aren't. Wal-Mart is all about cheap, from prices on goods to wages and benefits for employees. Take that for whatever it's worth. It's most interesting that Target has carved out such a strong niche by appealing to people who are basically embarassed to shop at Wal-Mart. It turns out that not everyone is necessarily looking to buy the cheapest possible product.
While I was in Denver I was at a party talking to a friend of mine who works for KDVR FOX 31. His daughter just started working for King Soopers ( he did not tell me which location ), he told me that they are starting her out at $7.77 and hour plus she has to pay dues for the union plus King Soopers would not promise more than 20 hours per week and according to my friend this is "normal for everyone starting out". Sounds like "being cheap" to me but then again it is retail and doing it cheap is more/less the game in all of the retail. Actually a few years back I heard that the retail chain that pays the most is..Kohls. But then again Kohls has their own issues but thats for another thread.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:07 PM

8,271 posts, read 26,326,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobwv View Post
Sounds like "being cheap" to me but then again it is retail and doing it cheap is more/less the game in all of the retail.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or