U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2010, 08:30 AM
 
Location: The 719
14,460 posts, read 22,294,090 times
Reputation: 13782

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobwv View Post
KING SOOPERS !!

burnt cigar behind his ear..

get your god damn work done you son of a bleep..."

I saw a cashier with a tounge ring..she couldnt even speak to the customer to tell her how much her bill is?like Ralphs is in LA, Wegmans in Buffalo,

her cell phone rang and answered it only to get into a fight with her boyfriend over the phone. her screaming the "F" word and such...ah that was it. I left my stuff right there and headed to the Target across the street. Oh I did try to talk to the manager of King Soopers on duty but he said he couldn't talk to me because he is "too busy".

But wait there is more....
Wow! They act like a bunch of people who have no hope... aren't making enough money and/or are still living beyond their means.

My bro used to be a butcher for the store on Cottonwood and Parker down south of there and it was once a nice store. Being a butcher is less of an art than it used to be from what I understand... less cutting because stuff comes precut or processed? IDK. He lives out in the south east and works for Publix now. They are a good store because he works there. He got his start working for Vons or Ralphs on Catalina Island back when he was about 15.

As far as the Wegmans that I saw out in Rochester NY, there's no store in the Denver area outside of a Wild Oats or Whole Foods that would compare.

Down in Pueblo West, we have a Safeway store that came up about I would say 7 or 8 years ago. Now we have a Super Walmart down the road from it and instead of trying to be a discounter and compete with them, they went the other route. More like a gourmet store and I like it a lot. it's not a Wegmans by any means, but for the area of about 32,000 people, it's not too shaby. Walmart is like a big dollar store that offers coupons for their cheap garbage. What price would you put on garbage?

I'd rather spend more money and get food that we're gonna actually eat than garbage that gets thrown away. Someone mentioned Tony's. I like that place.

Someone should start a thread or revive a thread on the best Denver Metro mom and pops.

People of Walmart:












Last edited by McGowdog; 01-04-2010 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 AM
 
5,748 posts, read 10,727,499 times
Reputation: 4502
Wegman's! My heart goes all aflutter just thinking about that grocery store. I wanted to sell my house and just move right into the cheese department when I lived in Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,181 posts, read 5,602,262 times
Reputation: 2072
I'm originally from the east coast and I miss Wegman's too!

I shop at the King Soopers on Monaco and Leetsdale and it's a fairly unremarkable experience. I like to shop during the week when the older employees are working because the younger employees, in my opinion (and I'm fairly young too) are less professional. I shopped there yesterday, in fact, and my cashier and the people who were bagging groceries were all carrying on conversation with each other (about topics that their manager probably wouldn't want them to talk about in front of customers) and weren't paying attention to what they were doing. I ended up with canned goods in the same bag as my bread on this trip and have had meat placed in a bag with cleaning products, etc, on other trips to this store.

I shopped at the Albertson's on Florida and Parker prior to its closure. I usually avoid the Safeway on Leetsdale and Quebec because even with their latest campaign, their prices are still noticeably higher on the items i frequently buy.

To answer the OP's question: nothing. it's just a grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 08:51 AM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,285,970 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I'm originally from the east coast and I miss Wegman's too!

I shop at the King Soopers on Monaco and Leetsdale and it's a fairly unremarkable experience. I like to shop during the week when the older employees are working because the younger employees, in my opinion (and I'm fairly young too) are less professional. I shopped there yesterday, in fact, and my cashier and the people who were bagging groceries were all carrying on conversation with each other (about topics that their manager probably wouldn't want them to talk about in front of customers) and weren't paying attention to what they were doing. I ended up with canned goods in the same bag as my bread on this trip and have had meat placed in a bag with cleaning products, etc, on other trips to this store.

I shopped at the Albertson's on Florida and Parker prior to its closure. I usually avoid the Safeway on Leetsdale and Quebec because even with their latest campaign, their prices are still noticeably higher on the items i frequently buy.
I used to shop at that KS and it was shocking sometimes the things that the employees would say and do in front of customers. I've had similar experiences at Target and Albertson's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,172,164 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

I question the experience of the OP in his experiences with King Soopers at the retail and at especially at the corporate level. I have made many contacts with King Soopers and Kroger Corporate Offices and have this would not be part of a polite contact--if you are impolite and hostile then that is another story.



Livecontent
I do too! I've never seen employees screaming at one another or being impolite in any King Soopers and I've been shopping at one for years. As for what's special about it? Nothing at all. Grocery stores in Denver are comparable to those in California, meaning they just get the job done with nothing special about them.

If you want to see "special" grocery stores, go to the Midwest. In Kansas City I've been in grocery stores that had huge salad buffets, huge delis, trees literally growing in the Produce section under giant skylights, carts with screens that display sales on each aisle as you push through the store, candy-less check out lanes for those not wanting to be tempted, child care, tables in the deli area where you could sit down and eat... I've never seen anything even close to this type of grocery store anywhere in the West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 AM
 
Location: western Centennial, CO
655 posts, read 1,801,101 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Not a fan of Sunflower. I know that makes me a bad Coloradoan. Sorry.
You're not a bad Coloradoan - I'm not a big fan either. The meat is always good and I love Boar's head deli items, but the produce is almost without fail smaller and less flavorful than what I get at KS, Safeway, Albertsons, etc. It is usually cheaper and for some items such as squash it's okay, but for most of it like pears, apples, potatoes, etc. it seems they get the 'seconds' and that's why it's cheaper. I do like them better than Whole Foods though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,172,164 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
I used to shop at that KS and it was shocking sometimes the things that the employees would say and do in front of customers. I've had similar experiences at Target and Albertson's.
I had a cashier (middle-aged woman) ask me regarding my twin boys, "Is their mama in their lives?" Huh? Why would she as such a question? I guess she had noticed me coming in with them on several occasions since I'm the stay at home parent right now. But talk about personal questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 09:15 AM
 
20,811 posts, read 38,977,896 times
Reputation: 18991
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Wegman's! My heart goes all aflutter just thinking about that grocery store. I wanted to sell my house and just move right into the cheese department when I lived in Maryland.
We had a huge Wegman's back in VA, near Dulles Airport (Ashburn / Sterling area) and it was indeed an amazing place. Nothing like it here. Whole Foods isn't even worth being a patch on the ass of the pants that Wegman's wears.

Here in far N.E. COLO SPGS, our King Soopers is excellent. Great staff of people, never a disappointment.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 09:26 AM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,285,970 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicheesefries View Post
You're not a bad Coloradoan - I'm not a big fan either. The meat is always good and I love Boar's head deli items, but the produce is almost without fail smaller and less flavorful than what I get at KS, Safeway, Albertsons, etc. It is usually cheaper and for some items such as squash it's okay, but for most of it like pears, apples, potatoes, etc. it seems they get the 'seconds' and that's why it's cheaper. I do like them better than Whole Foods though.
I agree. I'm not a fan of Sunflower either. Most of their produce is not organic and all of it is flavorless and goes bad quickly. I don't like their bakery breads, Safeway has better for less money. I've bought some of their canned and jarred store brand items and they were bad too. Most of their meat is "natural" which is a pretty meaningless claim and their beef is grain fed which is exactly the same meat as you will buy at any grocery store. I don't see anything special about Sunflower. I'd choose KS over them any day of the week. They have some good deals but it's never been worth it, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2010, 09:41 AM
 
20,811 posts, read 38,977,896 times
Reputation: 18991
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
I agree. I'm not a fan of Sunflower either. Most of their produce is not organic and all of it is flavorless and goes bad quickly. I don't like their bakery breads, Safeway has better for less money. I've bought some of their canned and jarred store brand items and they were bad too. Most of their meat is "natural" which is a pretty meaningless claim and their beef is grain fed which is exactly the same meat as you will buy at any grocery store. I don't see anything special about Sunflower. I'd choose KS over them any day of the week. They have some good deals but it's never been worth it, imo.
Absolutely my opinion too. Sunflower was started by the guy who used to run Wild Oats before he sold it off to Whole Foods. I've been to the Sunflower here in COLO SPGS and consider it little more than a gimmick and I ignore it in favor of KS.

I'm leery of a lot of the organic claims being made. IIRC, the terminology was fiddled with by the govt (to satisfy the farm lobbyists) to such an extent that a lot of stuff qualifies as organic these days. Then there's the issue of how to verify if it really is. I guess if you can taste a difference then maybe it is. Meanwhile, I'll stay a skeptic and not pay a markup. It's kind of like the "low carb" fad; once it started it seemed that every label with "low carb" carried a 50% premium, even breads.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top