U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:24 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,258,679 times

Advertisements

I'll chime in here. Grocery stores definitely vary by location. My fiance is in and out of them all day for his job, so he really knows how to shop the deals!! Albertsons is only good if you buy the stuff on sale. Everyday prices are crazy!

Our local Safeway is 44th and Lowell. It is okay, but not spectacular. Another Safeway by us, at 48th and Pecos, is atrocious. Never have anything and it is old and dirty.

The King Soopers by us at Sheridan and 38th, is alright. Their deli is better than the local Safeway's.

I also shop the Sunflower on 38th, but the previous posters are right about the produce. Smaller and things like green bell peppers seem to shrivel up very quickly. They do have berries for cheap though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 AM

631 posts, read 1,391,684 times
Sunflower Farms is a good place to go shopping IMO...just a pity their ain't one any closer than an hour away from Longmont...(at least not that I'm aware of)

Old 01-04-2010, 11:54 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,221,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
I'll chime in here. Grocery stores definitely vary by location. My fiance is in and out of them all day for his job, so he really knows how to shop the deals!! Albertsons is only good if you buy the stuff on sale. Everyday prices are crazy!

Our local Safeway is 44th and Lowell. It is okay, but not spectacular. Another Safeway by us, at 48th and Pecos, is atrocious. Never have anything and it is old and dirty.

The King Soopers by us at Sheridan and 38th, is alright. Their deli is better than the local Safeway's.

I also shop the Sunflower on 38th, but the previous posters are right about the produce. Smaller and things like green bell peppers seem to shrivel up very quickly. They do have berries for cheap though
Safeways seem to vary a lot. The one over at Colfax and Krameria is very nice. It's like they have their updated version stores and their ghetto stores!

Old 01-04-2010, 12:52 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,742,533 times
I'm not a fan of Safeway, either. The prices are usually higher than KS, and last time I bought a box of mac-n-cheese, I found a chew marks from a mouse on the bottom corner of the box. Yuck!

Old 01-04-2010, 01:48 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,282,011 times
Default nasty

This morning I went to KS on 9th in Cap. Hill. After shopping and waiting in line, the checkout clerk blew his nose into a napkin. A napkin is not sterile and this was not a gentle workout if you get my drift and of course he did not sanitize his hands. Its all in what you see, since the store is not the best. Calling their complaint line, it was closed. Guess, I'll try Safeway.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
This morning I went to KS on 9th in Cap. Hill. After shopping and waiting in line, the checkout clerk blew his nose into a napkin. A napkin is not sterile and this was not a gentle workout if you get my drift and of course he did not sanitize his hands. Its all in what you see, since the store is not the best. Calling their complaint line, it was closed. Guess, I'll try Safeway.
That's the Queen Soopers. Just setting the record straight... er... oh, forget it!

Old 01-04-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That's the Queen Soopers. Just setting the record straight... er... oh, forget it!
You may have lost a few folks with that description. Alas, I have not found it cruisey; nontheless, I expect this thread to be closed by the time, if I ever, hear back from them. My impression is that they just don't care. However, I went to Safeway instead and it is expensive.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
You may have lost a few folks with that description. Alas, I have not found it cruisey; nontheless, I expect this thread to be closed by the time, if I ever, hear back from them. My impression is that they just don't care. However, I went to Safeway instead and it is expensive.
It's the only store where I've seen men in drag shopping. I'll say that much for Queen Soopers

Old 01-05-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It's the only store where I've seen men in drag shopping. I'll say that much for Queen Soopers
Then it was bad drag done for entertainment. If it was good drag you would not have been able to tell. I am still waiting to hear from KS about my complaint.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:15 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,009,192 times
King Soopers is my favorite Colorado grocery store. Typically shopped at Safeway and Whole Foods for convenience, but I'm generally most satisfied with King Soopers pricing,and employs. I have to say that the Safeway in Conifer Town Center is my favorite single grocery location though (used to stop there on my way back from taking the Fido to the Bark Park). Used to shop at Vitamin Cottage in Platt Valley when I lived downtown..didn't care for it though. Ideal Market in Boulder is pretty decent.
Far from anything scientific, 9News (for those of you who prefer organic) did a study invoving Whole Foods.Safeway,Sun Flower Market, and Kings.. Kings won in every category from freshness,quality,price..FYI..I have heard for years that the Albertson's on Broadway/Alameda carried some of the best seafood among the Central Denver chains..myth or truth..I don't actually no myself.Maybe some one else has heard this too? I grew up with King Soopers, maybe it's a comfort level thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or