U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 01:34 PM

267 posts, read 1,258,531 times

Advertisements

Recently I was in Denver ( well Aurora to be exact ) on business. One night I needed to go to the supermarket and my friends I was staying with told me there is really only one place in Denver to buy groceries...KING SOOPERS !! Yes I know Denver has Safeway, Albertsons, Save-A-Lot, and other places to buy groceries but my firends kept teling me how great King Soopers is.

I went to the King Soopers on Parker Road near I-225....what did I see...

*at the deli a male employee had a burnt cigar behind his ear..while he was serving the customers.

*A head clerk who was yelling at another employee in front of customers to "..get your god damn work done you son of a *****..."

*old expired food for sale such as the loaf of bread I saw with mold on it.

*I saw a cashier with a tounge ring..she couldnt even speak to the customer to tell her how much her bill is?

Ah after seeing all of this I left !! However my friends being fans of King Soopers begged me to give them another chance, telling me about all the wonderful things that King Soopers have done for the community, How is King Soopers is to Denver like Ralphs is in LA, Wegmans in Buffalo, Marsh in Indy...etc...

Ok I gave King Soopers another shot..this time another location in Aurora. While the store was clean, the employees it seemed had a chip on their shoulders ( maybe they were having a bad hair day OK )..so I went to the checkout..as the cashier was ringing up my items, her cell phone rang and answered it only to get into a fight with her boyfriend over the phone. her screaming the "F" word and such...ah that was it. I left my stuff right there and headed to the Target across the street. Oh I did try to talk to the manager of King Soopers on duty but he said he couldn't talk to me because he is "too busy". But wait there is more....

I called up King Sooper's corp. office to tell them what I had seen in TWO of their stores. The woman on the phone actually yelled at me for even calling them up in the first place, telling me there is nothing King Soopers can do about this and if I don't like it I can go to SAFEWAY !!! Then they slammed the phone. Talk about good customer service...NOT !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 01:42 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,299,976 times
King Soopers was purchased by Krogers (I think) a few years ago. Since then it's gone downhill. Sadly, Colorado is a place where corporations from other parts of the country come in, make a buck, and leave when the getting is good. I still shop there because in the city proper, at least, they still retain many of their loyal workers who do NOT do the things the fly by night employees in the suburbs apparently do. I shop there for those employees. Yes they need training for all the newer employees including newer management. However, I shop Albertsons and Safeway and even Whole Foods and they all have these service problems. The big three used to be unionized and have employee longevity going for them, now it's just whoever the corporate office hires for part time jobs, reduced benefits, and, as a result, less loyalty to the customer.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:50 PM

6,561 posts, read 10,274,001 times
Hmmm, it's not Wal-Mart?

Old 01-02-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Hmmm, it's not Wal-Mart?
Believe it or not there are actually worse chains out there than Wal-Mart, but OTOH I guess its easier to say Wal-Mart sucks, hate and spit at the employees who work there and wish bad things would happen to them ( I have seen that kind of stuff online before ), but being a union chain like King Soopers ( and Safeway ) I guess one can overlook the "bad" stuff that takes place at their stores.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:51 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,548,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
King Soopers was purchased by Krogers (I think) a few years ago. Since then it's gone downhill. Sadly, Colorado is a place where corporations from other parts of the country come in, make a buck, and leave when the getting is good. I still shop there because in the city proper, at least, they still retain many of their loyal workers who do NOT do the things the fly by night employees in the suburbs apparently do. I shop there for those employees. Yes they need training for all the newer employees including newer management. However, I shop Albertsons and Safeway and even Whole Foods and they all have these service problems. The big three used to be unionized and have employee longevity going for them, now it's just whoever the corporate office hires for part time jobs, reduced benefits, and, as a result, less loyalty to the customer.
Your post is misleading. King Soopers was bought by the Dillon Companies in 1957 and it had 9 stores at that time. In 1983, Dillon merged with Kroger. So, it was not just a few years ago that it was bought by Kroger.

The Dillon Company and the Kroger Company were started as small regional companies. It is not about the "bogey-man" of the big corporations and they did not come in and "make a buck, and leave..." as you have said. These companies invested heavily in expanding the brand, and building bigger and better stores, that changed with the times. In addition, Kroger has developed a vertical integration with many of their fully owned manufacturing facilities that have given the consumer good value in the market.

I question the experience of the OP in his experiences with King Soopers at the retail and at especially at the corporate level. I have made many contacts with King Soopers and Kroger Corporate Offices and have this would not be part of a polite contact--if you are impolite and hostile then that is another story.

King Soopers is considered the value leader in this Denver Market and have offered good customer service and products for years, without question. King Soopers has not "gone downhill" since the acquisition by Kroger or Dillon. I doubt that you can even remember the time before Dillon or Kroger, since it was a very long time ago, in a different era of grocery retailing, which I have experienced and it was not better.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-02-2010 at 06:01 PM..

Old 01-02-2010, 06:12 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,761,736 times
I haven't been too fond of King Soopers since moving here either. Never had a problem with the employees, but the stores don't feel very "welcoming" and I haven't found the selection to be that great. I suppose it can vary by store, but I've found low prices and generally good selection at Super Target.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I question the experience of the OP in his experiences with King Soopers at the retail and at especially at the corporate level. I have made many contacts with King Soopers and Kroger Corporate Offices and have this would not be part of a polite contact--if you are impolite and hostile then that is another story.

Livecontent
Sorry but thats what I had experience when I tried to business with them and I was very nice. Again maybe everyone when I was there was having a bad day or something. But then again EVERY chain has their good/bad. For example Food Lion which is big in the southeast part of the US, I myself never had a problem with them but I know many of others would would beg to differ with me.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:48 PM

4,453 posts, read 7,204,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
I haven't been too fond of King Soopers since moving here either. Never had a problem with the employees, but the stores don't feel very "welcoming" and I haven't found the selection to be that great. I suppose it can vary by store, but I've found low prices and generally good selection at Super Target.
I've found a distinct correlation between "welcoming" (which I'm translating to "new" as that's what I see between the lines) and prices in the few months I've been in the Denver area. My wife and I used to love Super Targets for the products/selection and prices... until we hit up 2 of them here. Thanks, but no thanks. Simple staples, like milk and flour, were 20~40% more expensive at the Super Targets. We've even found a price difference between 2 different King Soopers on the exact same product (upscale vs. ethic areas).

All that "welcoming" costs money, and it seems to be passed directly onto the consumer through higher product pricing. Since most people go grocery shopping for the end product, and most of Those people are concerned about their budget, it makes sense to shop where it's the most affordable.

I do my shopping at an older King Soopers in an ethnic neighborhood and haven't found a reason not to. They've even special ordered a couple things for me (for cheaper than I could have bought online).

Brian

Old 01-02-2010, 07:20 PM

5 posts, read 18,892 times
I think King Soopers is creepy.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:40 PM

87,006 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I've found a distinct correlation between "welcoming" (which I'm translating to "new" as that's what I see between the lines) and prices in the few months I've been in the Denver area. My wife and I used to love Super Targets for the products/selection and prices... until we hit up 2 of them here. Thanks, but no thanks. Simple staples, like milk and flour, were 20~40% more expensive at the Super Targets. We've even found a price difference between 2 different King Soopers on the exact same product (upscale vs. ethic areas).
I am really surprised that you found price differences, as I thought KS charged the same prices at all its stores. Its advertising certainly reflects that, e.g. one ad for all the KS stores in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or