U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 06:29 PM

2,174 posts, read 3,667,566 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We had snow for Christmas in Boston, still fresh from days before. It's now 3 straight yrs. with a white Christmas -- though the other two were older and icier snowfalls leftover. Otherwise, in my 30 yrs. here, it's hard to get a white Christmas, or even snow at all in the days before! Hard to believe, but TRUE! Of course, it was snowier a generation ago in Boston.

What about Denver today...right now? I follow your weather daily, in case I move, but it's hard to tell on weather.com if there's an inch or 10 inches in any particular city. Not possible, right? Or is there a place on some weather site to get a figure on current snow cover?

Yes, I know Denver can get a big October or mid-April 15"+ dumping, but not every yr., right?

FYI, Boston's average snowfall is 41.9" or so, sometimes 80"-100" plus in the past 15 years, published every day in the paper. Not a whole lot, despite the "hearty (hardy?) New Englander" labels. Northern New England and W. Mass. have much higher snowfalls, usually.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 07:48 PM

86,883 posts, read 102,281,764 times
We have snow on the ground now and it's supposed to snow at 11 PM (according to Accu-Weather).

Here are some Denver snow stats:

Denver Christmas Weather Statistics

IF HAVING A WHITE CHRISTMAS MEANS HAVING AN INCH OR MORE OF SNOW ON THE GROUND ON CHRISTMAS DAY...THEN THE CHANCES ARE ABOUT 36 PERCENT (38 days in 106 years).

BUT IF A WHITE CHRISTMAS MEANS HAVING MEASURABLE NEW SNOWFALL ON CHRISTMAS DAY...which is at least 0.1 inch...THEN THE ODDS DROP TO ABOUT 12 PERCENT (13 days in 106 years).

Denver Snowfall Statistics 1882-2009

We don't get snow in mid-Oct. every year, but we almost always have snow by Halloween. In fact, there's an urban legend that it always snows on Halloween.

Denver Halloween Snow Statistics

The last snow is usually some time in April, but there are often weeks of warm sunny weather in between snowfalls in the spring, and it's generally not too cold.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:00 AM

1,048 posts, read 3,980,613 times
We had a VERY white Christmas (7.5" for Aurora over a few days) and due to the colder temperatures snow is still here and has not melted (well main roads are clear/plowed). Check out CDOT during the day to check on many cams from CDOT.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:46 AM

3,150 posts, read 7,222,454 times
Sometimes it snows and sometimes it doesn't snow in Denver. Who cares I think a lot of people only care if it snows in the mountains :P

Old 01-04-2010, 07:34 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,977,838 times
this is my 3rd (DH's 4th) winter here and no 2 have been the same, that's for sure. DH moved here in Jan 2007 and snow from the xmas blizzards stayed on the ground for weeks (months?). My first winter here seemed more normal. Sporadic snows, some really cold days in January. Snow as late as May 1. I found that kind of annoying. But it snowed a foot on Christmas day. That was kind of neat. Last winter was so mild that we didn't go sledding at all and we taught my son to ride is bike in January. Spring was pretty bad though. Lots of snow in the spring. This winter started early. I've had snow on the deck since October. Snow on the ground on Christmas. stayed longer than usual on the roads. School was closed for 3 days for that first storm in Oct. I wonder what spring will be like...

Old 01-04-2010, 09:17 PM

86,883 posts, read 102,281,764 times
I've been here 30 years, and each winter has been different. That's what makes Denver area weather so "interesting".

Old 01-05-2010, 07:33 PM

38 posts, read 115,514 times
We live in Centennial.

There's still a couple inches in our front yard; back yard has maybe an inch in the shade. The roads are totally dry. Pretty much anything exposed regularly to the sun is dry.

When we were looking at houses someone brought up North and South facing being an issue that we should consider--which at the time I didn't think it would make that much of a difference, but soon realized it does after selecting a north facing house. Right now, the yards on our side of the road are blanketed with snow, but on the other side, nothing. That was strange to me.

My boyfriend is from northern New York, so when it snowed the first time here his presumption was that it would stick for the rest of the winter and just keep accumulating. It's crazy to have up to a foot of snow and then two days later it's almost all gone. It's very beautiful when the sun comes out.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:58 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,977,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emgalvin1 View Post
We live in Centennial.

There's still a couple inches in our front yard; back yard has maybe an inch in the shade. The roads are totally dry. Pretty much anything exposed regularly to the sun is dry.

When we were looking at houses someone brought up North and South facing being an issue that we should consider--which at the time I didn't think it would make that much of a difference, but soon realized it does after selecting a north facing house. Right now, the yards on our side of the road are blanketed with snow, but on the other side, nothing. That was strange to me.

My boyfriend is from northern New York, so when it snowed the first time here his presumption was that it would stick for the rest of the winter and just keep accumulating. It's crazy to have up to a foot of snow and then two days later it's almost all gone. It's very beautiful when the sun comes out.
ya, you kind of have to see it to appreciate it. We are on the melted side of the street and I'm thankful for that. Then again, our deck is not very usable in the summer because of the bight sun in the late afternoon.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,045 times
I am relocating to Denver, CO. I work for the Department of Treasury. I have an 8 year old daughter. I am very concerned about the school system. Can someone tell me how the school systems rank?

Old 01-08-2010, 11:33 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbetts8 View Post
I am relocating to Denver, CO. I work for the Department of Treasury. I have an 8 year old daughter. I am very concerned about the school system. Can someone tell me how the school systems rank?
If you're talking about Denver Public Schools, it all depends on the neighborhood. We're in the DPS district in the Stapleton neighborhood and we have great schools, other than an overcrowding issue that seems to be solved by building another grade school. I'm sure many suburban districts are fine to great (Cherry Creek SD is supposed to be very good) if you're looking for a home in the 'burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or