Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 PM

22 posts, read 40,122 times

Advertisements

I am getting the impression that many of the Denver neighbourhoods have water shortages or issues. In which areas are the water problems severe and to be avoided for purchasing a house? I will be moving to Denver next month and renting initially with intention to buy within a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 03:11 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
there are watering your lawn restrictions in the spring and summer, but no water shortages or usage restrictions at the moment.

What other issues could there be?

Old 01-04-2010, 03:35 PM

6,796 posts, read 9,347,476 times
I think the OP is talking about reservoirs, water rights, etc., and how it's rumored that some of the subdivisions on the fringe, like the neighborhoods by Roxborough, will run out of water in the future.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I believe the city of Denver and communities served by the Dener Water Board are in good shape. Louisville and Boulder also have stable water supplies. I'm not saying other communities don't; I just don't know.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:37 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
She also needs to check out indiviual water rates - some areas are much higher than others. I'm no expert on this, I was told to watch out for this - Lone Tree was used as an example of high rates.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:31 PM

151 posts, read 397,499 times
I've heard Douglas County is in a bit more trouble when it comes to seniority of water rights, but that's very second hand, so take it with a grain of salt.

None of the water problems match what you'd find in California. But it's not like we're sitting on the reserves of Quebec either.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:11 PM

291 posts, read 911,489 times
Denver Water has the best supply because they were locking up water rights long before most others. The are pretty much all mountain run off. Other municipalities have had to buy water rights from farmers, obtain it from minor watersheds, or ground water. It's the ground water that's the big concern as it comes from an aquifer that is reported to be dropping by about 30 feet per year. The problem is that no one knows how much water is in it or how much longer it will last. Douglas County is having to start facing up to this fact, especially because it's one of the faster growing counties. Highlands Ranch has a pretty stable water supply, but the larger communites like Parker and Castle Rock rely heavily on the ground water. They're OK for now, but they are trying to come up with solutions for the long term.

The present Colorado Real Estate Commission approved contract to purchase puts the burden on the buyer to investigate the source of water for the home they are buying. If a buyer isn't satisfied with what they find out, they can back out of the contract. Better to know in advance.

Denver Water does supply some communities outside of the City of Denver, so don't feel that you have to be limited to only Denver. Littleton, for example, gets their water from Denver Water.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:38 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
Water is a BIG issue, but it's not really a matter of "running out" of water, at least not yet. For the forseeable future, suburban areas with less senior water rights are going to do what they have been doing -- purchase agricultural water rights at market rates. This is actually what the Phoenix area has done for decades, obviously an area with more constrained supplies than we have.

Probably that means that water rates of less senior water boards will climb in the coming years -- that's inevitable for such a scarce resource. Frankly, though the real problem will come from the agricultural users, because increasingly dear water supplies will likely make farming a less viable proposition. That's what's happened in Phoenix, where agriculture, once the local mainstay, is rapidly vanishing. From Phoenix' example, we can see that it CLEARLY hasn't slowed down development.

Someone mentioned Douglas County -- many of them are unique since they are pumping a lot of non-renewable groundwater for water supplies. Inevitably, that's going to run out, possibly quite soon, though it's definitely a very controversial topic. When that does happen, homeowners likely will see a spike as their water suppliers will be forced to compete on the market for agricultural water. But it's not like homeowners are suddenly going to open their taps and water doesn't come out.

What that means is that it's more of a problem for the whole state to cope with and less a problem that affects one individual homeowner more than another.

That said, the king of water rights in Colorado is Denver water, which as mentioned serves many suburban areas in addition to Denver. Denver water is also not expanding its footprint, meaning Denver water customers probably have the most secure water supplies in the Metro area. The same thing could be said of municipal water suppliers in cities like Pueblo, Boulder, and Fort Collins (all of which are relatively slow-growth, and have been around a while). They have ample water supplies.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:52 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,603 times
I moved here from the Great Lakes region which has a pretty endless supply of water. We were scared to death that water bills would be sky high. Imagine our surprise to find out we only pay about $10 ($35 total per month versus about $75 per quarter) more a month here but when we were looking at houses realtors mentioned that prices can dramatically vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver