Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 6,516 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a while and I've found it very informative so I decided to post one of my own questions. I am (almost) positive that I'll be moving to Colorado around mid to late June. I'm 28 and a single male with no children. I currently sell cell phones for at&t in VA and I'm hoping to transfer to CO to do the same thing. I have friends in and around Denver. My brother lived in Eagle County for 18 years until he moved back to VA 5 months ago. He got kind of tired of the long, cold, snowy winters around the Vail area and he had a great career opportunity in VA. I realized a long time ago that I'd like to one day move to CO. The timing is great now since I'm not tied down to anyone or anything and I'm a recent college graduate.

The possibility of stores which I am hoping to transfer to are in Denver, Broomfield, Thornton, Westminster, Lakewood, Littleton, Wheat Ridge, Boulder, Longmont, Greenwood Village, and Lone Tree. I am aware that some of these locations are not exactly relevant to the Denver area but I'm hoping that someone will have some advice on the areas anyway. I'm thinking that Boulder is probably not an option due to the cost of living there. What are your opinions of any or all of these locations? I've been to Denver many times and I've visited Broomfield and Boulder before. I enjoyed each of these places. I'm from a small town and I've never lived in a large city so I'm not positive if Denver will be the right area for me but I'm not opposed to trying it out. I can always move. I really don't have a preference on which city I move to since I'm not too familiar with any of them. I do want to snowboard and hike, bike, jog, camp, etc. I'd like to find a 1br/1ba apartment for $700 or less per month. I could probably do $750 but definitely no more than that. As I've already stated, I have no children and I'm single so I'm not really concerned with the school districts. I'd like to be in a 'nice' neighborhood but it doesn't have to be family oriented or anything like that. I also don't have to live in any of these cities. I have also looked into Golden and Applewood and each of those locations seem great. I'm open to suggestions of any other cities/towns around this general area. Thank you all for any and all of your advice and/or opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 07:37 AM

69 posts, read 122,959 times
Hey casires,

I would urge you to move to the foothills area rather than downtown or Boulder. You're right in that Golden is a great place and you'd be closer to all the outdoor activites you like. You'd also not have too bad of a commute from either the Lakewood, Wheat Ridge or Littleton stores.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:49 PM

631 posts, read 1,571,589 times
If you liked Broomfield and Boulder then you'll really like the Longmont area as well. It's more of a residential city, but it has something to be said due to the fact that it is an All American City AND has been voted top 50 places to live repeatedly in recent years. Longmont has a disposition for high-tech companies and residential expansion so now might be the best time for your move. Homes here are pretty cheap considering that there are tons of people around here making 100k/year+. Stores in Longmont are varied and spread out pretty evenly throughout the city. The mall here is not what it used to be thanks to two new malls in Broomfield, but other than that I'd be willing to be that you can find 90% of anything you should ever need in the commercial strips along Ken Pratt and Hover (and most other things are likely to be along Main Street anyways) as far as amenities go. I highly recommend visiting the area first though before your final move. If you want further details just feel free to ask me. I know just about everything there is to know about living in Longmont (as I have lived here for more than 14 years now and have watched it grow.)

Old 01-07-2010, 07:07 AM

18 posts, read 31,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casires82 View Post
The timing is great now since I'm not tied down to anyone or anything and I'm a recent college graduate.
Hi Casires,

We are in a pretty similar situation. I'm 23 residing in PA and just finished college. I also have no strings attached and am looking to move out to Colorado very soon. I went out to Colorado for the first time in June to visit my best friend and absolutely fell in love with it. I too, want to be a close drive to lots of outdoor activities. You seem like you have a decent idea of where you want to be, but I can offer my thoughts since my best friend's boyfriend has lived in CO his whole life. He has been helping me with figuring out where exactly I want to move. He lives just outside of downtown Denver. It's a great location, away from the noise but walking distance to everything in the downtown area which is great. He works as a cop in Broomfield and said that there are a lot of unsafe areas around there. He suggested suburbs suchs as Littleton, Englewood, and Highlands Ranch (although Highlands Ranch is gorgeous, it's pretty expensive). When I did apartment searches I found a lot of decently priced apartments around Englewood and Centennial (my price range is the same as yours).

My biggest concern is figuring out how much money is a safe amount to move out there with. Any advice?

Hope this helps. Good luck with the move!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 6,516 times
My biggest concern is figuring out how much money is a safe amount to move out there with. Any advice?

Thanks for the response, advice and other info. Thanks for sharing the info that your friend's boyfriend told you. I am also concerned with how much money is safe to move with and I really have no idea. I'm really hoping to have a job lined up before I get there so that will help determine how much money I have/bring. I have a few thousand saved up but not much more than that. I've checked into the price to tow a uhaul trailer behind my jeep and it's about $650. I'm sure that renting a uhaul truck and towing a vehicle would probably be much more money than that. I have two friends who moved to CO from VA almost exactly a year ago. One of them got a 1br/1ba in Broomfield and lived there for about 8 months. He liked the place/area but wanted to be closer to the mountains. I think he went there with about 2-3k which was gone fairly quickly (rent, utilities, moving expenses, gas, etc...) My other friend found a place in Boulder where she moved in with some people who were already living in the apt. She also had no job lined up and not a ton of money saved up. Both of them struggled for about six months or so trying to find a job. They are now living together (somewhere in the mountains in between Golden and Boulder in a place called Coal Creek Canyon) and both have jobs (bartending and working at a bank). They are certainly not rich but are getting by ok. I guess my point during all of this rambling is to stress my point about either having a ton of money saved up or having a job lined up before the move. The town that I move will help be determined by where I find a job (if I can transfer with at&t). If I can't transfer then I'll narrow my living search down to where I'd really like to be and hopefully find a job in that area. I have a few friends living in Denver and they love it and they always suggest living in downtown Denver but also say great things about surrounding suburbs like Littleton, Lakewood, etc... I really like Golden, the western Lakewood area and/or Applewood but I'm not sure about the commute from these areas to Denver. It would be great to live in an area within walking/biking distance to a great downtown area.

Good luck to you too and we should keep in touch and hopefully we can help with any advice/help with moving West.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:03 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,366,692 times
With a job already in place, 9 months worth of living expenses (3 of those will vanish if you rent an apartment with all the 'up front' fees). No job, and you'll want enough to live without a job for however long you'd like to stay before trying something else. A year? More?

If you're good with renting a room in a house/sharing living space, will work any old McJob that comes along, can get by on the cheap, and don't mind living on the ragged edge (money-wise), then a couple thousand ought to get you moved and settled for a month. I did that a couple of times back in the mid '90s when I was in my mid 20's... not so sure I'd have done the same in this kind of economy though.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:27 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,582,872 times
I'm in a similar situation. I'm moving from TX to CO in March. My wife and I both have jobs lined up and the rent we would have paid in March will go to the new apartment, but with the U-Haul and towing my car (about $1000). GAs money, upfront fees and utility deposits, I have about 3-4,000 ready for the move. Also, since we don't know anyone up there, (family or friends) i also looked at a moving service supposedly sending you two guys for 4 hours to help you move and it would cost about 200 bucks.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:23 AM

18 posts, read 31,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casires82 View Post
I've checked into the price to tow a uhaul trailer behind my jeep and it's about $650. I'm sure that renting a uhaul truck and towing a vehicle would probably be much more money than that.
I got some estimates on renting a u-haul for 1 br and also one that can tow a car (I want to tow mine too). Both are pretty close to $1,000. That doesn't count your gas, food, and hotel exspenses. I also looked into these things called "relocubes" if you google it, the website should come up. But it's literally a cube that you pack up and someone moves it for you. It got great reviews and a 1 br is somewhere between $700 and $900. I checked with a car relocation service how much it would cost for someone to pick up my car and drive it there for me and that too was like $1000. So pretty much anyway you look at it, a good chunk will be spent on the actual move. It's a good thing I don't have a lot of stuff, I'll probably just start mailing it to my friend's apartment.

I want to have a full time job in place before I move too, so I don't have to worry (as much) about my finances. I'm headed out there in the beginning of February to visit my friends and hopefully schedule some interviews. We should definitely keep in touch.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:54 PM

8 posts, read 32,080 times
I'm also in a similar situation, I'm hoping to move to CO in July with a friend of mine. I don't know if I will have a teaching job lined up for the fall, but I am willing to take any job that comes along until I can get a teaching job. We both are planning on driving our cars out and I think we might go through a shipping company where you pack the stuff up and they move it for you.

I want to move out there with $4000-5000 (but I may not have a job lined up), if I have to, I will work in a coffee shop or any job that I can find to pay for rent.

Last edited by mab514; 01-12-2010 at 01:14 PM..

Old 01-12-2010, 01:21 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,160,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab514 View Post
I'm also in a similar situation, I'm hoping to move to CO in July with a friend of mine. I don't know if I will have a teaching job lined up for the fall, but I am willing to take any job that comes along until I can get a teaching job. We both are planning on driving our cars out and I think we might go through a shipping company where you pack the stuff up and they move it for you.

I want to move out there with $4000-5000 (but I may not have a job lined up), if I have to, I will work in a coffee shop or any job that I can find to pay for rent.
You really shouldn't move there without a job unless you have a family support structure there, which is sounds like you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver