U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:49 PM

9 posts, read 37,331 times

Advertisements

This area is still somewhat decent if you live in the right section. Sadly when I lived there, I lived right on the corner of Flanders way and 46th Avenue. (across the street from martin luther king middle school) this was not good. The unruly children would often fight in front of my house or trample my lovingly cared for lawn. The "West Ranch" section of the neighborhood, which is mostly houses built in the early 1980's, seems to become more and more run down as the years pass, and the section 8 apartment complex otherwise known as Orchard Crossing invites an unsettling element of crime and gang activity to this once pristine community. The HOA has also broken down and no longer really exists for those south of 48th ave or (gvr blvd)

The further east into the neighborhood you go, you will see some larger homes, but there are many vacancies scattered throughout, and I've seen some properties sit vacant for years in GVR and Montbello. This also invites crime and vagrancy. If you must buy in this area, I would suggest the following tips...

1) never buy on a corner lot or your fence will become a canvas for gangbangers with spraypaint.

2)Never buy on a main thouroughfare in the neighborhood. The odds that your property will be vandalized greatly increase on the main arteries.

3)If you see more than three empty houses on a street, I'd avoid it. It's probably over for that block.

4) If there are a lot of young renters on the block, I'd avoid it.

5)If you see tagging, odds are you're living within mere blocks of some gang turf house.

6)Cul-de-sacs on quiet, blocks do exist and are the best choice.

7) Stay out of the Carriage Park section, located in the eastward rear section of GVR. this section was built with alleys behind the houses and all garage access is behind the homes. The alleys seem to invite crime in this section.

8)Careful not to overpay. Don't get me wrong, there are many nice homes in the neighborhood, but based on the track record, prices will probably remain bargain basement, just like in Montbello.

I really loved GVR and Montbello. I lived in montbello and Gvr, total of 22 years combined. I left the area behind in 2007. Even as a black person, I don't get the violence and vouluntary destruction of beautiful communities. Both neighborhoods continue to attract renters and the ratio of owner occupied homes to renter occupied is rather shocking actually. This, for some reason just brings a neighborhood down. You don't have any owners taking care or pride in the communities or the homes, and its just sad. The bright side though, is that because Montbello and GVR are tract home communities, the same exact houses can be found in many other neighborhoods throughout metro Denver. Houses in other neighborhoods cost more, but the difference is clearly visible. Most other suburban tracts in the metro area are well kept and taken care of, but this area only continues to go downhill. I'd avoid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 08:32 AM

11 posts, read 21,710 times
Given all the conditions shown above as to what a "good" location in GVR is, its no wonder there are a lot of vacancies in the area.

As I stated earlier in this thread, you can either point your finger at the problem, or be willing to step in and be part of the solution. Grass-roots community efforts and the moving of the Holy Spirit through a local Bible-based church can combine to change ANYTHING for the good, if people are willing to be obedient to God and follow through. As the song goes "if God is for us who can ever stop us..."

In the 1800's crime and corruption were rampant in the west, and it was not until the average citizen said enough-is-enough that things started to change for the better. Jeremiah 29:11 says "'For I know the plans that I have for you', declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope'. " Romans 8:28 says "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."

In His Grace,
Warren

Old 10-07-2010, 03:11 PM

4 posts, read 16,135 times
We love GVR, I've seen no grafitti or tagging in the 6 years I've been there.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADyer View Post
I'd look a tad closer....

Old 10-07-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADyer View Post
I don't actually enjoy slandering the neighborhood that I grew up in. I have so many memories there, but facts are facts, and as much as it hurts to admit the neighborhood is slipping, no competent individual can deny that. I wish it wasn't that way or I'd still be there. I've simply woken up and realized that no one out there really seems to give a damn about their homes or community. Some do, but they become more and more scarce.

I mean, everytime I see a new listing go up in the nieghborhood, I usually predict that the next owner will either neglect the home or rent it out to someone who will, and I'd say honestly that 7 or 8 times out of ten im usually right.

The reputation is the biggest obstacle this area needs to overvcome. If people just simply think that it's a bad area, the odds that they'd still buy house in that neighborhood are slim to none. This keeps prices down and makes homes more opprotune to be taken over by subprime borrowers, struggling minorities, and sleazy landlords. I'm black, I was raised in this community, and Ill tell you flat out that if you simply look closer, the situation is dire, and the beat just keeps going on out here. It's saddening, but still not a fact I can allow myself to deny. Im not just saying this stuff. I experienced it for years. It's almost like watching a slow death...

Old 10-07-2010, 03:50 PM

Some nicer areas I'd reccommend include:

Woodrim neighborhood, Aurora 80014

Tollagte village and Brookvale, Aurora 80017

Lexington East Sub, Aurora 80017

Smoky Hill, Centennial 80015

Seven Hills, Aurora 80013

Sterling Hills, Aurora 80013

Chaddsford, Aurora 80014

Highpoint Sub, Aurora 80017

Lowry, Denver 80224

I'd also note that Southeast Denver is very nice when compared to Far Northeast BY FAR!!!!!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:40 PM

3 posts, read 8,727 times
Yes, Lived here for 3 years in august. I like the close proximity to my workplace - a notable hospital, and I have great neighbors ! I love my home and got a great deal from Oakwood Homes. I still own and rent a condo in Aurora, near Buckley AFB. I like this neighborhood sooo much better than my old one !

Old 07-07-2011, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,438 times
i have lived here several years and i have never had a problem with graffiti. My car has never been broken into, I have awesome neighbors. Maybe people posting here are not used to having kids. Kids should be able to walk around and throw the footballs around with their friends. Ride bikes or hang out with their friends before dark. Neighborhood kids even cut my grass. I guess I have good friends that live close by. Talk to your neighbors and you will be surprised about the change you see if your neighborhood and your attitude towards life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver