Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
I appreciate all these responses. I guess one of my concerns is a fear of freezing to death; what if the heat goes out? I'd hate to be one of those old people, found in their apartments, frozen to death...sorry, I know it sounds morbid, but I've never lived in a cold climate before, strictly lower 1/3 USA.
A house is a shelter, meaining you are protected from wind chill and humidity. Which means your body heat will keep you warm as long as you are bundled up with good quality thermal clothing and/or blankets.

How can you make yourself warmer at night? Eat some cheese before going to sleep. Digestion will make your body generate heat.

People camp out in subzero winter weather in the moutains and they are fine with a good quality sleeping bag, because your body heat is trapped inside.

You won't freeze to death or anything.

I met a woman last year at a deli in Glenwood Springs. She had been living in her car for three years - one year of it in Glenwood Springs which is VERY Cold in the winter (supposed to hit -15 last night.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
The cut-off for my schools in the 80's in Wyoming was -30F at 7am. We made it Dang close several times over the years, but there never was a closing. I learned not to walk out of the house with wet hair back then (it'd break off).

I walked to the gym this morning (a few blocks, nothing major) with my normal snow shoes, pants, t-shirt, fleece liner to my ski coat, wool hat and some light-weight gloves. It was colder walking back due to the sweat.. lol

Keep in mind that Most buildings are kept in the 60's somewhere, and most people are only outside to walk from their home to their car, then their car into a business. So even in -30, it's no big deal to just go on with life. I do try to cover my mouth/nose at those temps though as it can hurt a bit to breathe the straight cold air sometimes.

Oh, and I did have the heat cut out in my house a few winters back during a -30f cold snap.... it was ~67 when we went to bed and ~57 when we got up the next morning. That was before I replaced the 50 y/o windows or added insulation to the attic... I never did have a repeat performance of the heat going out, but it'd take a LONG time to get the house cold enough to freeze ya.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:31 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
It would be an adjustment if you are not used to cold temps but as far a the danger of literally freezing to death, probably no more than literally dying of the heat if the a/c goes out in a hot climate....in fact, that might be more of a danger honestly.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:48 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
I appreciate all these responses. I guess one of my concerns is a fear of freezing to death; what if the heat goes out? I'd hate to be one of those old people, found in their apartments, frozen to death...sorry, I know it sounds morbid, but I've never lived in a cold climate before, strictly lower 1/3 USA.
Freeze to death? lol! Maybe a drunk homeless person freezes to death in winter here every few years, unfortunately. But no, no one ever had their heat go out and just sat there and froze to death.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:02 PM

360 posts, read 1,126,606 times
As sure as the sun sets, typical Colorado Front range temps will be back in the 50's this weekend! Plus next week looks mild and dry, January thaw anybody ready?

Old 01-08-2010, 01:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
fortunately it is not an every day thing. The biggest thing for me personally is going to the bus stop with the kids. That is the only time we are outside for any length of time, early in the day when it is the coldest. We wear hats, gloves, scarves, coats. School was delayed once this year because of wind chill. Other than the bus stop in the morning, it really isn't that bad. If all you are doing is walking from the car into a building, it isn't enough time to get cold. working outside is a different story, I'm sure.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
you would know if your heat went out. Pile on some blankets or go someplace with heat.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:23 PM

53 posts, read 201,175 times
I have a friend that live in a 20' trailer at 10,000' on a north facing slope with no heat, he hasn't died yet. It's really not that cold, just don't expect to walk around home in shorts and t-shirt or you will pay 400 a month in heating.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:48 PM

544 posts, read 1,485,507 times
The other thing I guess that worries me, I'm a musician and I frequently play until late at night. I'm concerned about coming home in the dark, on icy streets. I have no experience driving in these conditions.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:57 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
#1 most important thing is your attitude towards driving. If you're not sure, slow down. Then it's just a matter of not doing any input aggressively (i.e., don't crank the wheel, slam on the gas or slam on the brakes). On ice, a car needs about 4 times more stopping distance with Good tires.

Good tires mean winter tires (people can debate on studded vs. not, I've not found enough of a Positive difference with studs to bother with them).

And finally, if you can afford it, a vehicle with traction control and ABS do help.

There are winter driving schools up here that'll give you the experience needed to drive better than 90% of the people here already (INCLUDING those who 'grew up' driving these roads ~ it's amazing what a little education does for skill).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver