Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 AM

544 posts, read 1,484,967 times

Advertisements

I have a question, probably a silly one. My Yahoo widget says it's 2 degrees in Denver right now. I may have to take some training for my job, and live in Denver for a year, maybe two. I've never lived in a cold mountain climate like that, though hopefully, every winter will not be like this one (I know this one is unusual, in other words).

My question is, what is it like to go to work/school on days like this when it's so cold? When do schools and businesses close? What is the cut-off point? I guess you just bundle up and go, but I can't image what that is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 08:04 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
It's not that common, but when it happens we just bundle up. It's business as usual.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:12 AM

6,779 posts, read 9,332,326 times
I usually wear long underwear (thermals?) under my clothes, since my office building is usually cold and I wear a winter jacket, hat, and gloves while i commute to work. It's really not a huge deal -- once the temperature reaches a certain point, it just feels COLD. 2 degrees doesn't feel very different from 10, in my opinion.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:16 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
As many teenagers do....my son wore shorts to school yesterday and today.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
I have a rule for my teenagers. Less than 30 degrees = coat. Less than 20 = coat, hat & gloves.

Me when I walked the dog today it was 4 degrees, I had a down coat, ski pants, boots, hood, sunglasses & gloves. The sunglasses fogged over in 10 minutes. I walk a mile with the dog, and trade hands in coat pockets, every day.

Most of the time the teenagers wear hoodies.

A mom once told me we do not see "frozen like a popsicle" teens for a reason.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
First, OP, a clarification: Denver is not in the mountains. Many people have that misconception. Denver is on a plain at the foot of the Rocky Mountains (about 25 miles or so from downtown to the "real" mts).

In the 16 years that I had kids in the K-12 system, Boulder Valley closed the schools due to cold exactly one time, and that was the day before Winter Break in about 1990 (IIRC). It was well below zero at the time, maybe -20 or so. Very rare.

ETA: I looked up the temps for December 1990, and Dec. 20/21 had highs of -8 and -11, respectively.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-08-2010 at 09:07 AM..

Old 01-08-2010, 11:08 AM

544 posts, read 1,484,967 times
I appreciate all these responses. I guess one of my concerns is a fear of freezing to death; what if the heat goes out? I'd hate to be one of those old people, found in their apartments, frozen to death...sorry, I know it sounds morbid, but I've never lived in a cold climate before, strictly lower 1/3 USA.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:17 AM

137 posts, read 466,782 times
cscigurl3000-- it really is all relative. You will be fine! Invest in some nice thermal underwear-- I like the cozies brand, a good jacket (You can find Columbia brand for reasonable prices at a Burlington or TJMAXX type place)gloves and hat. Also since you are coming from a warmer climate, check out your local thrift stores as there might be a good selection of outerwear from people who moved from a colder climate. There are much lower temperartures to contend with elsewhere that stay low for a long time-- we tend to swing up and down--- 11 Wednesday but a high of 50 on Sunday...

Last edited by VALGAL222; 01-08-2010 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: doh!

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
I appreciate all these responses. I guess one of my concerns is a fear of freezing to death; what if the heat goes out? I'd hate to be one of those old people, found in their apartments, frozen to death...sorry, I know it sounds morbid, but I've never lived in a cold climate before, strictly lower 1/3 USA.
Well, it takes a long time for the house to get *that* cold. We do have a kerosene heater, but we've rarely used it here. In this house, we also have a wood-burning fireplace, but most places don't have those any more. A gas fireplace would also give you some heat until the power came back on. Generally, the power company gets out and corrects the problem before people's lives are in danger. I'd imagine in a very dire situation, emergency shelters would be set up.

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
I have a question, probably a silly one. My Yahoo widget says it's 2 degrees in Denver right now. I may have to take some training for my job, and live in Denver for a year, maybe two. I've never lived in a cold mountain climate like that, though hopefully, every winter will not be like this one (I know this one is unusual, in other words).

My question is, what is it like to go to work/school on days like this when it's so cold? When do schools and businesses close? What is the cut-off point? I guess you just bundle up and go, but I can't image what that is like.
Denver is not in the mountains.
However, it is cold.
There's no cut-off point for the cold. You still gotta go to school and work, even if it's 10 below outside.
Like you said, just bundle up. It helps to have good quality cold weather clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver