U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 05:42 PM

11 posts, read 28,814 times

Advertisements

HibbityDibbity - I've found in our line of work it's all networking and who you know. I found this current job through a couple guys I know working for their office in Mass, one thing led to another and I had an interview with a few managers in Mass, then video conference to the guys in CO. I think this is especially true for the larger corporations, they typically hire internally and don't post up much on CL. Check out Dice.com though, it's like Monster.com but for the IT field.

Brian_M - I was looking at the Arvada area too, keeping the commute 1/2 way between work and places to hang out would be fine. I'll do some research on that tonight.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 09:02 AM

How about Golden? All my ski/bike bum friends are saying move there. A longer commute, but closer to everything I want to do?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:21 AM

70,088 posts, read 60,674,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Actually, not by Flatiron... Federal and 120th Ave, Avaya is right there (cool building FWIW). I have a friend who worked for Doubleclick->Google that was just on the other side of I25.

There are a few somewhat direct routes into the mountains from there, all of them busy on weekends. That's my biggest complaint about the Denver area when compared to the East Coast. Out east, you have Thousands of different roads in and through the mountains with not a whole lot of people who want to go play in them. Here, you have a couple dozen routes and EVERYONE wants to go there on the weekends.

I can't help on housing or night-life (I bought a home in Denver and haven't done night-life since meeting my wife when I was 25, a decade ago). But I was less than impressed with that area while house shopping. There's no character, it's all single family homes with kids, newer builds so everything looks the same, **** poor build quality for the places I checked out... nothing at all that made me want to live there. I'm sure there are pockets of interesting things up there, but it's mostly suburban sprawl.

The one area I've just passed by that looked interesting (and people have mentioned on these forums a time or two) is "Old Town Arvada", which is 10 miles/20 minutes drive away from both work and downtown Denver. Generally speaking, it's north of I70 between Wadsworth and Kipling, and south of Ralston (or so, I've only been through there once, and it was in the evening/dark while I was looking for a specific address).

Best of luck.
It's not 120th and Federal, it's Highway 128 (Interlocken Parkway) and 287 (120th/Wadsworth). Are you going to be working at Ball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. The King View Post
How about Golden? All my ski/bike bum friends are saying move there. A longer commute, but closer to everything I want to do?
Well, not that much closer, and a fairly long commute, especially in snow. I live in Louisville, fairly close to where you'll work and DH used to work in Golden.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 AM

3,908 posts, read 5,313,027 times
You'll definitely want to be living in and around central Denver close to downtown. (Anywhere else is pretty boring suburbs.)

Neighborhoods are: Washington Park, around the Art District, west of downtown, etc.

There's also a lot of nightclubs along Colfax ave.. It's a little bit seedier part of the city but lots of different types of people live around there and you might like it.

Also several miles of Broadway south of downtown have bars, venues, etc.

You won't have trouble finding people to drink with. Colorado has lots of microbreweries which means lots of bars and people are real into it.
Now, you're definitely going to find Denver more boring than Boston. Boston has a lot more people, culture, history, things to do and stuff. But I think you should like Denver, it's a reasonably active city.

HAve fun

Old 01-11-2010, 10:41 AM

3,320 posts, read 2,562,554 times
Quote:
Everyone i've talked to have said apt complexes are a dime a dozen out there, so I don't blame you. As I said, i'm looking for a roommate situation to start with just because i'm coming out with nothing, but sooner or later i'll be looking for my own place, so i'll be able to move around. Just looking for a decent place to start with.

My job is right by 25/87 and 128 (West 120) if that makes any sense. Just looking at Google Maps.

The nightlife isn't a deal breaker by any means, like I said i usually hang out in pretty low key places. Although a good coffee shop close by would definitely be nice.
If you've got a fulltime job, I doubt that you'd need to live with a roommate. I'd rather live in a cheap place for a year than with a roommate.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:19 AM

229 posts, read 475,975 times
Quote:
Things i'm looking for:
- ~15-30 minute commute. As a consultant i'm used to driving all day every day, I want to keep it somewhat reasonable.
- I'll be commuting to the mountains every chance I get for biking/skiing/hiking/etc, so close enough to the main route.
- Nightlife. I'm single, someplace within a reasonable cab ride to some cool bars. I'm definitely not a "fist-pump club" scene guy, more of a laid back Irish pub type of guy.
For someone your age, from a bigger city, and new in town, I'd normally recommend living somewhere in close proximity to downtown Denver - like Capital Hill area. Its affordable, bigger city, more young people, better entertainment, and decent access to the mountains.

If you place a higher priority on being close to the mountains, Boulder may be better. Since Boulder is on the edge of the mountains, it is quicker to get on hiking trails there. However, Boulder seems quite restrictive on mountain biking - you might want to consider that. Also keep in mind, the major ski resorts are on I-70, and it is a little quicker to reach them from downtown Denver than downtown Boulder.

Golden seems too far if you're job is at I-25 and 120th. Probably not horribly bad if it is at Interlocken Parkway.

Renting in the northern suburbs is probably not the best thing for you right now - its just quieter and probably tougher to meet people. If you insist on it though, probably look in the area along US 36 between the Westminster Promenade and Flat Irons Mall. It'll be close to your job, close to shopping and chain bars/restaurants, a short drive to the mountains, and equidistant to Denver or Boulder when you get bored as a single 25 year old in the burbs.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:05 PM

70,088 posts, read 60,674,394 times
Boulder would be fine for nightlife, but not for biking to work unless you like to get up pretty early.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:34 PM

3,320 posts, read 2,562,554 times
Quote:
Yeah, you're probably looking at at least an hour long commute at rush hour if you live in Golden.

Personally, I'd rent somewhere near work initially, and then find a better place to live after that lease term is up and you're more familiar with the city. If you want a 15-30 minute commute, it's probably going to have to be somewhere in the northern suburbs. 120th avenue is pretty far up there.

Locals, how's the 4 square mile area surrounding I-25 and 120th ? Google map's got a number of apartments there under $800 per month, and it's only a stone's throw away from his work.

Also, people at work are probably going to have suggestions for you.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Yeah, you're probably looking at at least an hour long commute at rush hour if you live in Golden.

Personally, I'd rent somewhere near work initially, and then find a better place to live after that lease term is up and you're more familiar with the city. If you want a 15-30 minute commute, it's probably going to have to be somewhere in the northern suburbs. 120th avenue is pretty far up there.

Locals, how's the 4 square mile area surrounding I-25 and 120th ? Google map's got a number of apartments there under $800 per month, and it's only a stone's throw away from his work.

Also, people at work are probably going to have suggestions for you.
Yeah I was considering that, starting nearby and then figuring it out. I have a bunch of suggestions from folks, just trying to get a good starting point to look once I get out there. It's good to hear from as many people as I can on what they think and then take it from there.

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2010, 04:32 PM

229 posts, read 475,975 times
If you're at that Avaya building on 120th - live in downtown Denver. RTD says the 120x takes slightly over 20 minutes to get there from Market Street (it's against traffic). Start out with an affordable apartment in/near Capitol Hill with a short lease, then figure out what area of the city you like. Walk down to Civic Center, get the free shuttle to Market Street station, ride the express to 120th, walk across road to work. There may even be a bus that leaves from Civic Center. Hundreds and hundreds of people do the same commute but in reverse. So it can't be too bad. When you return home at night, walk from Market Street Station and eat at some restaurants or stop at a coffee shop along 16th.

I have nothing against that 120th area at all - but you are young and new to this city - live in the heart of it. Move out there when you want to buy a place, get married, and raise some pups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver