U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 03:09 PM

9 posts, read 18,886 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am currently thinking about relocating to the Denver area. Anyways, I currently live in Chicago (city area) and am thinking of going west. I am 23 years old and have a job that would allow me to relocate to Denver. I enjoy Chicago but really think I would love Denver. Can you give me some advice on places to live? I want to live close to the downtown/popular areas for young professionals. I have a good salary. I'm not sure of the rental prices in Denver but I currently pay $1100 a month in Chicago and with basic internet searches, I saw that Denver's cost of living/housing prices are lower, so I would at least like to stay at that level or go under if I could. Thanks ahead of time for taking the time to read my post. Also, any specific companies/services for finding housing?

I have some family there and have been skiing many times, but not for about 10 years (hopefully I haven't forgotten).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 03:56 PM

Bump.

Any help would be appreciated?

Old 01-21-2010, 04:11 PM

305 posts, read 318,259 times
Well, what are your requirements? What is a priority and what is a 'would like' for your preferred residence? Is living close to your employment important?

Old 01-21-2010, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the response.

Ideally I would like a garage or some place to park my car. Besides that, I'm pretty open. Obviously I don't want a dump, but I would probably prefer more space than higher quality if that makes any sense (but if I could have both, that'd be great). I'd like to live in a younger area with fun things to do close by.

I'm a consultant so I just need to get to the airport, so that shouldn't play into my decision.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:00 PM

87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh_10 View Post
Thanks for the response.

Ideally I would like a garage or some place to park my car. Besides that, I'm pretty open. Obviously I don't want a dump, but I would probably prefer more space than higher quality if that makes any sense (but if I could have both, that'd be great). I'd like to live in a younger area with fun things to do close by.

I'm a consultant so I just need to get to the airport, so that shouldn't play into my decision.
There are plenty of threads on here about desirable areas for young people to live. Basically, in the city. It can be hard to find places in the city with garages, although DH and I had one when we first moved here. We lived on the west side, in the Sloan's Lake area. I wouldn't say that area was particularly "young" at the time. The Highlands area north of Sloan's has become an "in" place to live, but I don't know about availability of garages. When we were looking for rentals, houses were more likely to have garages than apts. The east side has some traditionally "young" neighborhoods. My daughter used to live there. She had an apt. with an off-street parking space, but no garage. Some of her friends didn't even have off-street parking.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:15 PM

305 posts, read 318,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh_10 View Post
Thanks for the response.

Well, considering your price range, that could almost be anywhere in the Denver Area as there is no real place that is defined by your criteria. What do you mean by 'younger area'? Is that meaning newer buildings or more of the 'younger' crowd is found there?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:42 PM

Younger crowd

Old 01-22-2010, 12:07 AM

93 posts, read 262,625 times
well generally the further away from downtown you go, the easier it will be to find parking. But with 1100/month you can easily find something that includes parking included. No private garage, although you may be able to pay for a monthly spot in a parking garage. Its just a matter of finding the neighborhood which fits your desires the best (proximity to job, atmosphere, parking, location, nightlife, etc. etc.)

Some cool neighborhoods in Denver i would do some research on are Baker, Washington Park, Cheesman Park, Highlands, and City Park. there are lots of others too that i didn't mention. LoDo is right on the doorstep of downtown, but a little too much for my personal tastes. Each neighborhood has its own features, benefits, and downfalls depending on what your looking for. and Capitol Hill is definitely a popular choice for the "younger crowd" which comes with lots of youngsters out drinking and such. But also lots of character, atmosphere, and activity. Definitely worth checking out though because it also is in a great location. Very close to anything you need downtown. Parking is a hassle there, but you can find parking lots to pay a monthly fee for....

I also think the Five Points and Curtis Park area is kind of up and coming. great access to downtown, lots of cool bars around. you can easily find a nice place there for cheaper than most other areas, but it does have a bit of a reputation as far as "crime" and it doesn't have the glimmering reputation or history like Wash Park, but it is nothing someone from Chicago can't handle. I really like those areas, as they are real close to anything you could possibly need, have lots of cool things to do, easy access to public transportation, etc. It depends a lot on what you want though. The DU (Denver University) area may also be a consideration as it has lots of students around and all that. It is a little south of the other areas i mentioned. If you are fixed on a garage i might look into places around Denver like highlands ranch, englewood, lakewood, sloans lake, or somewhere a little farther from downtown.

hope this helps. Denver is a great city, and there are plenty of great places to be. Im in West Wash Park, and there are lots of young people around. Nightlife has plenty of options for just about anyone. Its a short car ride to just about anywhere in Denver, very walkable, and its just got a really rich atmosphere. Baker is just to the west of me so i am around there often and i really like that hood. It reminds me of my hometown

Let me know if you can get me a job lol..... Lord knows i need one along with millions of others...

Old 01-25-2010, 10:52 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,529,509 times
For $1100 you can get something almost anywhere. Lodo is great but also the priciest (1 BR's start around $1000 but they are usually new and have parking garages. Cap Hill is mostly older buildings and a lot of them don't have parking. Street parking is a pain in the you know what so pay for a space if you have to. Uptown near 17th Avenue is sort of a combination of those two...hip, mix of old and new, not as many apartments and rents are generally less than Lodo but more than Cap Hill. The Ballpark neighborhood just north of Lodo is also awesome...like Lodo used to be, sort of a warehouse district. The other areas mentioned are all good (Wash Park, Baker, DU, etc.) but they aren't as close to downtown.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:01 AM

87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
The other areas mentioned are all good (Wash Park, Baker, DU, etc.) but they aren't as close to downtown.
True, but unless you want to be within a ten minute walk, they're still close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or