U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 04:22 PM

3,942 posts, read 3,238,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
This is why I keep my cars for a long time. My 2008 was, I believe, something like $400 or more the first time I renewed my plates. This year was under $100, I think. We have another vehicle that's a 2013 and valued around $40K, and I think the plates on it were over $600, but I lost the fight on buying a $40K vehicle. I don't pay for it and rarely drive it - I'm the practical one. But if you can afford an expensive vehicle, you should be able to afford paying more for your plates each year.
Oops, deleted my last post...

No doubt Denverian. But my frustration is why vehicle value factors into it at all. A car that costs 60K uses no more road and infrastructure than a car that costs 30K. If any factor should be used, it should be gross weight or vehicle classification.

And, if the state really cared about vehicle safety, it would require an inspection, like most other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 06:52 PM

5,192 posts, read 8,318,298 times
In Colorado, the "ownership" tax is only one portion of the total taxes and fees at time of registration or renewal. It is in fact a property tax ( like real estate) and is deductible if you itemize deductions on your Fed tax return.

Some definitions of interest from Motor Vehicle Terms and Definitions

"Prior Ownership Tax: Ownership Tax is equivalent to personal property tax. Prior ownership taxes are calculated from the month following the month of purchase through the month of the application for registration. Example: Month following the month of purchase is February. Month of application for registration is March. Prior ownership taxes will be assessed for two months of prior ownership taxes.
Ownership Tax: Ownership tax is based on the vehicle year of manufacture and the taxable value of the vehicle. The taxable value will not change during the life of the vehicle. The calculation used to determine ownership taxes due will change as the vehicle ages.
Ownership tax is always calculated for 12 months based on the month following the month of application for registration through the determined expire month next year.
License Fee: License fee is based on the empty weight of the vehicle (CWT) and vehicle type. Additional fees that may be included in the license fee are based on vehicle type, age of vehicle, fuel type, and material fees (plates and validation stickers) are: Highway user fee; Emission fee; Diesel fee; Emergency Medical Services fee; Motorist Insurance Identification fee; Peace Officer Standards & Training fee and CSTARS fund fee.
Issuance of Designer plates, Special Organizational plates and Military plates will increase the license fee by approximately $50.00 or more for the first time issuance and at time of replacement. Designer plate registration and several special organization plates will include an additional $25.00 or more annually, will be assessed at time of renewal.
Bridge Safety Surcharge: Provides for “Funding Advancement For Surface Transportation and Economic Recovery” as described in Senate Bill 09-108. This surcharge shall be imposed on any registration made on or after July 1, 2009.
Road Safety Surcharge: Provides for “Funding Advancement For Surface Transportation and Economic Recovery as described in Senate Bill 09-108. This surcharge shall be imposed on any registration made on or after July 1, 2009. "

Old 09-24-2014, 10:37 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,249,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie77 View Post
I can tell you right now that registration is NOT CHEAP. I have no idea what you are talking about! I was just quoted $700 from the CO DMV!!!!!! And I am from California, you would think I would be used to being ripped off! This is total crap!
I do feel your pain, as I acquired a new car two months ago and just got it registered for Colorado....and paid $800 for it. And I had even transferred the plates from my old car. But it's based on the value of the car. Would that it were based on the price actually paid for the car, given in my case what was paid for the car was $10,000 below the sticker price.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:21 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,817,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
No doubt Denverian. But my frustration is why vehicle value factors into it at all. A car that costs 60K uses no more road and infrastructure than a car that costs 30K. If any factor should be used, it should be gross weight or vehicle classification.

And, if the state really cared about vehicle safety, it would require an inspection, like most other states.
Some houses that occupy the same footprint cost 300K and others cost 600K. Should they pay the same real estate taxes?

Bottom line, it's a zero sum game. The state takes from us a certain amount of money in taxes. Different states have different formulas how to do it. In Colorado, if some of it didn't come from a car tax, it would be higher income, tax, slaes, tax real estate tax, etc. BTW, it was a shock to me, too, when I first moved here. back in PA, it was about $20/year to register my car.

I do agree with you about safety - providing a tax incentive to keep cars a very long time, along with no safety inspection, is potentially dangerous.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:38 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Oops, deleted my last post...

I don't know. I figure if they didn't get the money out of you with vehicle registration, they'll get it somewhere else. I think Oregon is something like $25 a year for all cars, no matter the value. But I'm sure they make up for it somewhere else. I'm sure in Colorado, this is just a way to get more money from people assumed to be able to afford it.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:50 AM

695 posts, read 801,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbedge View Post
Hello all,
My car is up for registration this month, and like many out-of-staters, I have sticker shock at the amount I'll have to pony up to the DMV. I currently have California plates and was just sent a registration renewal notice from CA that is significantly less than what I would have to pay to Colorado. What prevents me (or anybody for that matter) from keeping the car registered in their former state? I realize that there is a 90-day "window" to register your car as a new resident, but how would any officer/DMV employee know that you have lived here longer?

Second question - and one that may have been addressed here before - is that the maximum fine for registering a CO vehicle late is $100. What prevents residents from just not registering their car and chancing that they are not pulled over? One of my coworkers said he didnt register his car for 2 years (!) and nothing happened.

Philosophically, I know that this is wrong. I just want to hear other people's experiences on the matter since this whole Colorado "use tax" seems a bit excessive.
Trying to commit perjury with the Department of Revenue as to your date of becoming a resident?

Obviously you moved here with the intention of staying here (employment, etc). Once you secured employment (if you did not obtain a DL prior thereto), you became a resident.

You may want to review CRS 42-3-103(4)(a). Further, violation of such section is a misdemeanor.

Shocked about Colorado fees, et al. No problem . . . . just leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or