U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:59 AM

171 posts, read 484,694 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My car is up for registration this month, and like many out-of-staters, I have sticker shock at the amount I'll have to pony up to the DMV. I currently have California plates and was just sent a registration renewal notice from CA that is significantly less than what I would have to pay to Colorado. What prevents me (or anybody for that matter) from keeping the car registered in their former state? I realize that there is a 90-day "window" to register your car as a new resident, but how would any officer/DMV employee know that you have lived here longer?

Second question - and one that may have been addressed here before - is that the maximum fine for registering a CO vehicle late is $100. What prevents residents from just not registering their car and chancing that they are not pulled over? One of my coworkers said he didnt register his car for 2 years (!) and nothing happened.

Philosophically, I know that this is wrong. I just want to hear other people's experiences on the matter since this whole Colorado "use tax" seems a bit excessive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 10:24 AM

4,445 posts, read 7,185,715 times
Sticker shock? I just did both my vehicles and it was $160 out the door for both, combined... cheaper than Any other state I've registered them in (GA, AZ, WY), and that was with the title transfer fees included.

As for your questions, I can't answer them because I don't like breaking laws/being a criminal (yes, doing as you're insinuating is committing a crime, thus making you a criminal. Just as speeding makes one a criminal.)

Old 01-15-2010, 10:38 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,271,626 times
I worked at the DMV years ago and really, there's no way for them to know exactly what date you moved to CO. I've moved between CO and CA twice now, and it was the same thing in CA, except I believe they only give you two weeks to get CA plates. I think I went in at a month after moving to CA, thinking that was a reasonable time, but got charged extra for it. I could have just lied on the application and said I'd moved to CA two weeks ago, rather than a month. And I haven't noticed any big difference between fees in CO and CA. They both seemed comparable to me.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:20 PM

726 posts, read 1,869,156 times
I just switched my plates yesterday, months past the deadline and expected a fine since I got my CO driver's license right away. I put it off because I was afraid of how much it was going to be, turned out just over $100 for a 2005 car. The woman didn't mention a thing about being late (in fact the whole experience was about the best DMV experience ever). I think it's going to depend on what county and what person you get behind the counter or desk. I think you could probably get away with it for a long while as long as you kept a Cal license but is it worth it in the long run if you do get caught?

Old 01-15-2010, 02:55 PM

360 posts, read 1,010,544 times
I paid a similar amount for a similar car in Larimer County, it was actually cheaper by about $50 what I would have to paid for renewal in utah. I did not have to get exhaust check though, that saved money this year, next year I will have to though.

I would pay it now, you are not using California roads, you are on COLORADO roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
I just switched my plates yesterday, months past the deadline and expected a fine since I got my CO driver's license right away. I put it off because I was afraid of how much it was going to be, turned out just over $100 for a 2005 car. The woman didn't mention a thing about being late (in fact the whole experience was about the best DMV experience ever). I think it's going to depend on what county and what person you get behind the counter or desk. I think you could probably get away with it for a long while as long as you kept a Cal license but is it worth it in the long run if you do get caught?

Old 01-16-2010, 04:53 PM

82 posts, read 281,887 times
You should be telling that to the former Coloradoans driving around Northern Virginia with Colorado plates. I'm not saying it's right, but this is done all over, even by people from YOUR state.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:54 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,271,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvared View Post
You should be telling that to the former Coloradoans driving around Northern Virginia with Colorado plates. I'm not saying it's right, but this is done all over, even by people from YOUR state.
And isn't VA dirt cheap for car registration? Maybe they don't know! Or maybe they just like our beautiful plates

Old 01-17-2010, 01:44 PM

38 posts, read 115,842 times
I haven't tried to get my Colorado plates yet. Well, I did get my CO license and tried to get my plates on that same day, but I have to get the emissions test first, and honestly I just haven't had time. So, I guess I am breaking the law as well.

Technically, no, they can't tell exactly how long you have been here. When we lived in SC my boyfriend lived there for 4 years with NY plates. Eventually, though, it will catch up with you.

People tend to not like to mind their own business so someone reported him to the DMV and they sent us a very nasty letter and he had to pay the 4 yrs of back taxes because we couldn't prove that he had NOT lived in SC for 4 years. The lease, date you signed up for utilities, etc..there's always a paper trail.

You might as well just suck it up now rather than driving around wondering when you'll get caught.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:01 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,052,813 times
I'm moving from TX to CO. So my understanding is you get your license first, then emission test, then plates? I just renewed TX registration for Jan., and Feb is my inspection, so none of that carries over, right? I move to CO in March.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:33 AM

137 posts, read 417,009 times
You have 90 days to get everything. I thought you had to get your driver's license prior to registering you vehicle, but you can register your vehichle without having a CO license (money is money, eh?) in hand.

Yes, your registration, emissions and inspection do not carry from TX to CO. It is actually emissions and VIN inspection for Co, not sure what "inspection" is for TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or