U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,213 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm a high school senior from a small town in Oregon. I'm currently looking at a couple of colleges one of which is Colorado School of Mines. Sense I may spend 4 to 5 years of my life there I was hoping you guys could give me some information about Golden. I do eventualy plan to visit the area but I'm just hoping to get an idea about the feel of the town.

Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 08:21 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,739,484 times
Golden is basically a suburb of Denver, though it has maintained some of its small town character because the original part of town is somewhat physically separated from metro Denver by North and South Table Mountains. If I had to live on the Front Range, I would list Golden as one of the better places. I did live there for a time many years ago. The Mines campus is right in town, with a number of lovely historic buildings and a pretty, tree-lined campus.

If you can get accepted to Mines, it is a very fine college with a worldwide reputation. I've known a number of people who have graduated from there, and not one of them has ever had a problem getting very decent jobs. Though better than it used to be, Mines still does not have a huge number of female students. If you are a guy, that makes the dating scene is pretty sparse. If you're a gal, it means you had better be comfortable in a largely male environment. There is not a lot of rip-roaring night life at Mines or in Golden, either--but, frankly, most Mines students simply don't have the time for a big party life. Unlike CU up the road at the People's Republic of Boulder, Mines has no reputation as a "party school." Also, Mines gets a number of foreign students, including some from the Mideast that are attracted to its first-rate geology and petroleum engineering programs.

No, I did not go to school at Mines, but I have great respect for it as a college.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:21 AM

5,656 posts, read 9,389,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartersauce View Post
Hi I'm a high school senior from a small town in Oregon. I'm currently looking at a couple of colleges one of which is Colorado School of Mines. Sense I may spend 4 to 5 years of my life there I was hoping you guys could give me some information about Golden. I do eventualy plan to visit the area but I'm just hoping to get an idea about the feel of the town.

Thank you for your help

Small town in the foothills close to Denver. The college has fraternities and sororities so there's good socializing opportunities going on. Plus you get one of the best engineering educations in the country.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:54 AM

20,811 posts, read 38,977,896 times
Here's a view of Golden from Lookout Mountain. The view is looking east and northward. Denver would be off in the distance to the right of this. The big set of buildings in the center are those of Coors Brewing Company.

Golden-20050724-009.jpg
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,213 times
Thanks alot for the help guys, one other quick question. I enjoy to hike (one reason I really like the idea of Colorado) and i was just wondering how far is Golden from an area with some good trials?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:52 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,490,262 times
Good trails are right there, in and adjacent to Golden. Here is a link for the brochure describing these areas:
http://ci.golden.co.us/files/parkstr...cebrochure.pdf

If that is not enough, then check out the and parks and open space for Jefferson County:
Open Space Parks & Maps - Open Space - Jefferson County, CO

And if that is not enough, then you have all the national forests and mountains that are in Colorado, near Golden.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/m...do/index.shtml

Livecontent

Old 01-18-2010, 10:18 PM

655 posts, read 1,801,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Golden is basically a suburb of Denver, though it has maintained some of its small town character because the original part of town is somewhat physically separated from metro Denver by North and South Table Mountains. If I had to live on the Front Range, I would list Golden as one of the better places. I did live there for a time many years ago. The Mines campus is right in town, with a number of lovely historic buildings and a pretty, tree-lined campus.

If you can get accepted to Mines, it is a very fine college with a worldwide reputation. I've known a number of people who have graduated from there, and not one of them has ever had a problem getting very decent jobs. Though better than it used to be, Mines still does not have a huge number of female students. If you are a guy, that makes the dating scene is pretty sparse. If you're a gal, it means you had better be comfortable in a largely male environment. There is not a lot of rip-roaring night life at Mines or in Golden, either--but, frankly, most Mines students simply don't have the time for a big party life. Unlike CU up the road at the People's Republic of Boulder, Mines has no reputation as a "party school." Also, Mines gets a number of foreign students, including some from the Mideast that are attracted to its first-rate geology and petroleum engineering programs.

No, I did not go to school at Mines, but I have great respect for it as a college.
From a Mines grad - I got a good education there for cheap (scholarship) and I recommend it with a caveat. I often feel that I missed out on the college experience a bit since it is not one of the large state or private universities and everyone is in engineering or something like it so there's not a large liberal arts presence and so I was somewhat limited in my studies. A lot of students drove up 93 to Boulder on the weekend for social life. As other posters have mentioned there are a lot of recreational opportunities - anything you want is within reach as well as the Denver amenities.

It is a suburb but more than any other Denver suburb I can think of it doesn't feel like it is one. It has a volunteer FD and all it's own amenities. You wouldn't really have to leave Golden at all except to go to Walmart/Target or the like. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartersauce View Post
Thanks alot for the help guys, one other quick question. I enjoy to hike (one reason I really like the idea of Colorado) and i was just wondering how far is Golden from an area with some good trials?
Golden is in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. You're right there!

Old 01-19-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicheesefries View Post
From a Mines grad - I got a good education there for cheap (scholarship) and I recommend it with a caveat. I often feel that I missed out on the college experience a bit since it is not one of the large state or private universities and everyone is in engineering or something like it so there's not a large liberal arts presence and so I was somewhat limited in my studies. A lot of students drove up 93 to Boulder on the weekend for social life.

As another School of Mines Grad, I'll second what he said.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:40 PM

431 posts, read 1,074,715 times
Currently living downtown and primarily looking at buying a house in a central Denver neighborhood but after a recent visit to Golden I am possibly considering it an option. The area I liked was around the Mines campus and to the south. Does anyone live in that area and have any opinions on what it's like? Seems like a lot of the central Denver neighborhoods in that it's older and close to restaurants/shops along Washington. It's also not far from the light rail station which I could take into downtown (my office is in Lodo).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver