U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 10:28 AM

38 posts, read 149,830 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Can you help me come up with areas to visit?
My husband and I are visiting in one month for a weekend. We are considering moving to Colorado. We plan to hit up Fort Collins (my best friend just moved there), Longmont, Littleton, etc. My husband plans to one day get a MA from a school in the South Denver area so I am most interested in visiting areas within commuting distance, though they don't need to be super close as he will only be attending part time. I have been impressed with what I've heard about Fort Collins schools. I like that there are different types of schools for different learning styles and interests, as well as the fact that you can attend any school you like, as long as there is room. There is so much to see in just one weekend. I'd love some input on some areas that have some good schools as well as a recreational soccer league for kids. I'd prefer to eventually live in a more scenic and established neighborhood with average sized homes in a middle class neighborhood with low crime. The closer to the mountains, the better. What I don't care for (that many people do, it's just personal preference) are cookie cutter neighborhoods. I prefer a more established neighborhood with older (preferably one story), but well maintained homes. Walkability/biking distance to stores, library, etc is a bonus. I am a stay at home mom and I spend a lot of time in my neighborhood so it's important to me to be in a place I like. We frequently take neighborhood walks, trips to the park, etc. To sum up, I'm looking for a suburb that has:
Good schools
middle class neighborhoods (nothing poshy)
soccer league
good library
nice parks
low crime
established trees

My husband may be able to work out some kind of job transfer, but if not, he will just be looking somewhere in the Denver metro area. Living close to south denver isn't a must since schooling will only be part time for a few years. What I am looking for as far as responses is input on a variety of cities/suburbs N,S,E,W of Denver that generally fit what I am looking for so that when my husband does find a job, I will know what areas are desirable for us within a commuting distance to that job. So, I'm not looking for any one specific area at this time, but several. Does that make sense?

I really appreciate your input. This will influence where we decide to drive around when we visit. Thanks so much!

Last edited by allimiller; 01-21-2010 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 12:10 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,616,291 times
Littleton school district is generally good and you can find the type of housing and amenities you are looking for in many parts of both Littleton and unincorporated Arapahoe County (Littleton mailing address). Also Cherry Creek school district is very good and there are many, many areas that meet your list. Some are more "cookie cutter", but in an older neighborhood with mature landscaping I think you lose that cookie cutter look. Cherry Creek school district is huge and encompasses addresses in Centennial, Englewood and maybe even Aurora (?)

Old 01-21-2010, 01:02 PM

86,878 posts, read 102,269,915 times
allimiller, you are describing a huge geographical area, from Ft. Collins down to S. Denver. There are walkable neighborhoods with housing such as you desire all along that corridor.

Open enrollment, such as you describe in the Ft. Collins schools, is the law throughout Colorado. Different districts do implement OE differently, so don't assume the way it is in one district is the same in every district. You will need to talk to district officials in each SD you are interested in.

You are right that there is so much to see in one weekend. You will not be able to see it all. I would suggest either taking more time, or taking several weekend trips.

If you want a specific suggetion, I'll suggest Louisville as a place to check out. It meets most of your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or