Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 08:39 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times

Advertisements

Since I'll probably be moving to Denver, I'm going to need a new place for a great steak. My current favorite is a place on the central coast of California. Its nothing fancy, but its very comfortable, friendly, and of course the meat is insanely good. Its one of those places that's famous for at least a hundred miles in any direction and the cowboy at the end of the bar probably raised your dinner. Any suggestions for something like that in Colorado?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 09:44 PM

158 posts, read 604,556 times
Just curious- what's your current favorite on the central coast? I graduated from Cal Poly SLO, and I'm wondering if it's the one I'm thinking of...

Old 05-25-2007, 10:11 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbaak View Post
Just curious- what's your current favorite on the central coast? I graduated from Cal Poly SLO, and I'm wondering if it's the one I'm thinking of...
Jocko's in Nipomo. I love the butterflied filet that looks like a small pot roast. And ooooh so tender.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:25 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbaak View Post
Another Cal Poly SLO graduate here and I was thinking the same exact thing

Old 05-26-2007, 11:50 AM

158 posts, read 604,556 times
Well, I was thinking of McClintock's. Man, I miss that place!

Old 05-30-2007, 03:58 PM

291 posts, read 2,074,981 times
I could make several recommendations, but you will find many great restaurants in Denver that serve excellent steaks. We are the regional butcher for all the ranches in the Rocky Mountain West, so the supply is nearby. The National Western Stock Show (in January) is one of the nation's largest because there are so many cattle ranches near.

Denver earned the nickname "Cow Town" many years ago. I would start at the Buckhorn Exchange and I bet you'll never need to leave Denver. However, maybe it's time to try a local favorite: Buffalo.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:04 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Del Frisco's
Elways
Ice House
Ruth's Chris
Chophouse
Morton's

*In no particular order (price/quality)

Old 05-31-2007, 10:20 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Wife and I have enjoyed the Denver Chophouse, in the LoDo area, near the ball park, superb food.

As BillRadio said, we are one of the all-time great American cow towns, like Chicago, Kansas City, Fort Worth, etc. You will find MANY great steaks. And the NWSS in January is an awesome time for cattle, bison, rodeo and horses.

I prefer quality over quantity. Any place serving huge steaks is off my list, no matter how good. I'm allowed 12 oz of meat per week as a Weight Watcher, and the concept of a 34 oz sirloin is a dietary abomination to me (as are sky-high deli sandwiches with a pound of corned beef and a pile of cheese).

In COL SPGS we've a new Saltgrass Steak House, a chain out of TX, and their 7 oz center cut filet is truly butter soft.

Enjoy grazing your way across Denver. Try googling "best of denver" to see if the newspaper has a list of best bets.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:56 AM

291 posts, read 2,074,981 times
My brother in law is a butcher and I asked him. He said the best beef in the world comes from the old Monfort plant here (now Swift). However, most of the "best" stuff gets shipped to other markets (like San Diego?) where they are willing to pay top dollar for it. We aren't because there are so many sources of good steaks here.

However, not all great steaks get sent out. Everyone sitting around us agreed Emmerling's on Smith rd. had the best steaks in the region. Gee, I've never heard of it...but everyone else has! You can't get in during the Stock Show.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:38 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,169 times
I'll second Emmerlings, definitely the best steaks in the region. It's a real steak house, not your typical fancy chain place where you are paying almost as much for the ambiance as the steak. Emmerlings is something straight out of the old west. I will also second Buckhorn Exchange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver