U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:00 AM

3,605 posts, read 5,038,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper656 View Post
yes, sorry, I make 55 here in tulsa. ill relook my post and see if i made a mistake.

I see what i said wrong. What i meant was, I make 55K which is split between 2 people now that my wife doesnt work. at 75K i would live like a king here in tulsa. But there are just not many jobs here and the pay in Tulsa is very low.
For what it's worth, Tulsa and Denver metro areas have the exact same unemployment rates (7.7 percent). Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

So the pay you're being offered in Denver is lower than 55K ? As others have said, the cost of living is higher in Denver than it is in Tulsa. So that salary wouldn't go as far as it would go in Tulsa.

What's so bad about Tulsa ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 11:19 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,807,448 times
No, that pay (75k) is close to what you would get w about 5 years experience at many companies.

Take the higher pay and continue looking, easy.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:22 AM

22 posts, read 38,086 times
I have 5 years experience in my engineering career. The pay around Denver has been around 50-60K. which is not much more than I am making in Tulsa...however, I love Denver's activities...mountains, hiking, outdoors, camping, race tracks, ect. Its about a max couple hour drive to hit lakes, and so forth. Im just worried at a pay of 60K, i wont be living very comfy...house on the skits, public school, and wont have enough $ for the fun things in denver....

Tulsa is a lovely retirement city. beautiful...but just doesnt have the family recreation and things to do as I would like a city to provide.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:28 AM

21,846 posts, read 23,076,737 times
Quote:
i wont be living very comfy...house on the skits, public school, and wont have enough $ for the fun things in denver....
??

You're 28 with only a few years of actual work experience. Very few people start out in life with everything they want...that's what we work TOWARD.....You're thinking you should be able to afford a good sized house in a great part of the city, private schools (for a child that is as yet unborn), with money left for cultural entertainment and outdoor activities? All at 28? On one income?

Good luck with that.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:29 AM

4,549 posts, read 9,726,870 times
I keep reading and re-reading but I'm still confused. So you are making $55K in Tulsa right now and have been offered a $75K job in Tulsa?

Or $75K in Tulsa right now and and offer of $60K in Denver?

I say vacation in Colorado. Live in Tulsa if you everyday quality of life will be better. Because the reality of living here....???? Everyday life. The day in day out.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:45 AM

5,700 posts, read 9,423,372 times
Quote:
Hello everyone...I am debating on moving up to Denver. Seems to have EVERYTHING i want, except there are not any lakes nearby for boating.
Huh? There's plenty of lakes nearby for boating. Check out: Colorado Lakes Fishing Map

Quote:
well anways, ive been looking in denver for the last 2 years on and off and noticed there arent many jobs listed up there.
Unfortunately that's because there are few jobs available.

Quote:
as a 28year old with wife and a child due in sept, I am worried about taking a position up there...especially since most of the larger engineering companies have hiring freezes and the fact the first people to be cut are the higher paid new people.
There's a guy on here called "pyrotech" who just moved here from out of state last month to take a job. He was just informed he will be laid off in two months, so now he's applying for new jobs again.

Quote:
Since the companies that have offered me jobs have just started the hiring phase...the pay is, well low.
This seems to be true across the U.S. I've been applying for jobs in San Francisco and I'm amazed at the low salaries for my field (IT).

Quote:
Tulsa-I make $75K living salary and (stay at home wife), i live comfortably. Typically like in a $200K home that is 3bed/2full bath, 2 car garage and about 2000sqft.
The $75K is fine for Denver. However, $200k doesn't go far for housing in Denver.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:48 AM

Current Salary: $55K Tulsa
For the life I want, id need to make $75K in tulsa/okc area
OKC Job Offer: $75K in OKC, OK. The pay offer is great increase and my proper average pay with accordance to fellow friends in the same field and same amount of experience. Again I am an engineer with 5 years experience.

Im worried if I take the OKC, ill be stuck there. especially having a child on the way. On the otherside, I can decline the OKC job, and keep on the search for a Denver job. The few denver jobs I have found, have 60K pay. Thats a 5K increase over what i have now, but probably a 10X increase in cost of living.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:52 AM

80skeys: Thanks! ill look into that

Yes...A $200K house here is a MANSION compared to Denver...my friend just purchased a house for 375K...its rather new...but horrible quality. for that price in Tulsa, I could have a 3000sq ft house.

yes i am young....but as most people would agree, once you start settling in, it is hard to move. I plan on getting a apartment for 6 months to pan out the area and job security. Then purchasing a house, settling with my new child and plan to stay for the following 5-10 years.

how realistic is it to keep my family living like Nomads...until the right job appears? making good money and having an apt has reached its tiresome... Just ask my 30weeks in pregnant wife who has to climb stairs to our apt.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:03 PM

21,846 posts, read 23,076,737 times
Nothing wrong with wanting it all - but understand you will most likely have to make some sacrifices in order to get there eventually. You'll have to decide which things you are willing to sacrifice for now....the place where you live, the perfect house, cultural lifestyle....whatever. It sounds like you aren't willing to put off anything. You might have to move a few times over the years. You might end up finding the perfect job in an imperfect place or the perfect place might require your wife to work in order to support the lifestyle you crave. Perhaps I'm reading wrong. First step is to decide what is the most important and work from there.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:05 PM

4,549 posts, read 9,726,870 times
Quote:
how realistic is it to keep my family living like Nomads...until the right job appears? making good money and having an apt has reached its tiresome... Just ask my 30weeks in pregnant wife who has to climb stairs to our apt.
I wouldn't worry about being more permanent until I had a child in regular school. We lived in an apartment for the first 2 years of my son's life. Then moved into a house in Dallas.

Moved here when my husband's company transferred him - our son was just going into Kindergarten. Haven't moved since (he'll be a Junior this next school year).

I would take the higher paying job in OKC and sock money away. I would not move here just for the outdoor lifestyle. Because with a tiny baby, you won't indulge in that much anyway most likely. But there is no harm to obviously keep looking and if something comes a long that catches your eye and pays enough to make the move here worthwhile, then apply for it.

My point earlier was that the "romantic" idea of living here is different that the reality of the everyday life. Working, kids, etc. Not to say that we don't love living here and enjoying what there is but it's not like we are out there constantly hiking, camping etc. More like mowing, home repairs, grocery shopping, etc.

The only reason you would get stuck in OKC....is if you let yourself. Take the job and set some goals for what you want. Just my thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or