Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,570 times

Advertisements

I lived in north aurora for ten years and went to central high school, I also lived in downtown Oakland for three years. I never felt unsafe walking the streets in either. Your fear and caution is a product of your ignorance and your weak mind.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:12 PM

19 posts, read 78,435 times
There aren't really places where you should feel unsafe or threatened walking around in Denver, however there are a lot of places where a 'ghetto' mentality exists. Where gangs are active and where local residents don't feel safe cooperating with the police against violent crime, which yes, DOES happen a lot. It'll be fine to pass through these areas, even walk through them- but I would not advise hanging out at the Montbello park n' ride if you're not from there, or around the projects in East Colfax, Westwood, and Sun Valley. You can get yourself into trouble easily if you're white/not from there/wearing the wrong colors, or all of the above. To be on the safe side, don't hang out in those areas.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:29 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,465,602 times
Quote:
or around the projects in East Colfax
There are no "projects" on east Colfax to hang around.

None of the areas you mentioned are unsafe. I find it strange that someone who does not live in these areas feels capable of commenting with regard to police cooperation levels and comfortable labeling the mentality of the residents. Bravo.

Stop watching television and actually visit these areas. Don't worry, you won't have to hide your "whiteness" or avoid wearing red and blue. This is not Ciudad Juarez for ****s sake.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:51 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,341,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosho303 View Post
There aren't really places where you should feel unsafe or threatened walking around in Denver, however there are a lot of places where a 'ghetto' mentality exists. Where gangs are active and where local residents don't feel safe cooperating with the police against violent crime, which yes, DOES happen a lot. It'll be fine to pass through these areas, even walk through them- but I would not advise hanging out at the Montbello park n' ride if you're not from there, or around the projects in East Colfax, Westwood, and Sun Valley. You can get yourself into trouble easily if you're white/not from there/wearing the wrong colors, or all of the above. To be on the safe side, don't hang out in those areas.
This is so much nonsense. There is no projects on East Colfax and the other areas are not as dangerous----lions, tigers and bears---oh, my! You really need to get out of your car and look around.

Being white does not put you into extreme danger into these areas. I would not even know what the wrong color is, and I do not care---I have walked around these areas......one of them surrounds a commuter rail station....never had a problem.

I have been in and around Westwood for many decades and it is just another neighborhood of Denver-----that is real people who are just living. Oh, I forgot you have a problem with Lions, Tigers, Bears, and the Colored----oh, scary

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 09-17-2009 at 11:04 AM..

Old 09-17-2009, 09:20 PM

19 posts, read 78,435 times
Well, actually I have been in these areas, and have friends who live in these areas who tell me bad stuff goes on a lot. I think it's naive how people assume Denver doesn't have bad areas.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:33 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,833,255 times
Denver has ghetto's now?? What has America come to?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:25 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,341,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosho303 View Post
Well, actually I have been in these areas, and have friends who live in these areas who tell me bad stuff goes on a lot. I think it's naive how people assume Denver doesn't have bad areas.
"Bad stuff goes on a lot"---big deal, it is such an eye opener. Of course, bad occurs but it happens everywhere and everyday.

"Bad areas"???? Yes, there are bad areas at bad times with bad people; but any area can be bad at any time and have bad people. It is not necessarily static and will change from day to day, from area to area, with new residents and old residents.

Bad is not necessarily defined by old; it is not guaranteed by poor; it is not predetermined by race or color. At the same time good is not necessarily defined by new; it is not guaranteed by rich; and it still not predetermined by race or color.

I am far from naive and I am far from being young. I know that crime happens, can happen and will happen in all places. I know that Denver, as in many places that have more people, there can be more crime. I know that Denver is a City and requires some vigilance and awareness that goes along with city living.

Just as I take special precautions when I am fairly alone on a forest trail; car breakdown on a highway at night; working late in an office; walking to my car in a suburban mall parking lot; I have certain precautions that I take in a city. It is all a manner of vigilance, awareness that comes with experiences of life.

Going places and having experiences entails risk of the "bad". From my experience, as being an Ex New Yorker; having lived and worked in NYC; growing up near the east side of Buffalo, being stationed in a dangerous violent "grunt" Army post, and now a resident of this area for 31 years---I can easily say that Denver does not, and never had, the extremely bad areas of ghetto decay, crime and violence that I have experienced in my past.

Livecontent

Old 09-23-2009, 02:21 PM

91 posts, read 338,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

Bad is not necessarily defined by old; it is not guaranteed by poor; it is not predetermined by race or color. At the same time good is not necessarily defined by new; it is not guaranteed by rich; and it still not predetermined by race or color.

Nicely put!

Old 09-27-2009, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 10,676 times
First of all, sorry for digging up an old post. I searched this out of curiosity, but felt like I had a say.I have felt scared walking in broad daylight in one area. An alleyway on southren Broadway. Ghetto/Hood, NOOOO. Povert and depressed, yes. Any place with barbed wire on their fence, bars on the window, and the medium-big city depression feel (expecaily in this economy) are not neccicarily safe. What could have happened? I doubt that I would be robbed or mugged in that alleyway. Denver (16th Street and Civic Center, yall are right about congress park too) was a very CRAZY place in the 80s. Not Ghetto. It is now more violent crime of unreported drunks, unreported prostitutes, vastly unreported drug usages, etc. I agree with Livecontinet. If you have a quarter of a brain, pay attention to your surroundings, carry yourself well, and are not completely obliterated by fear, then you are all right in denver. Me? Im tall, athletic, and dress well. Im an Individualist, and dont look at areas "racialy". I distrust certain individuals more than others. South Broadway really wasnt too bad, it was more depressed (as mentioned before). There were no individuals present to judge that pocket, however. But near the Denver Coloseum, a few blocks east or west on the "federal strech"... the only individuals ive seen were quite unsavory. But, I am absolutely sure this PALES IN COMPARISON to an economically-abandoned city like Detroit, etc. Final Awnswer: Yes, I might be an individualist but I will classify Denver: There are some awesome places in denver. The art museum, Cherry Hills (not technically in denver... but a great place to walk), Eliches, 16th Street Mall, fun places. Funner places? I personaly prefer the Tech Center... Cherry Creek Mall, and the overall feeling of Bonnie Brae. Then there is average Denver. Average things happen here. lol. Need I say more? Then there is specific blocks of neighborhoods that I would not call ghetto, but backwards. Its a small-town depressionary feeling. Broadway, University, and Federal. Then there are Middle-Large town backwards places I call "The Civic Center". Its not dangerous, just disgusting. Then there are... Problem areas. These are still not ghettos. You just need to watch your back. Will I even suggest where these problem areas are? NO! Get out of your house and explore. Youll find either an awesome town with a beautiful veiw of the moutains, or a depressed backwards strech of commercial or resedental streets. Have fun.(Note: I have yet to discover "north" and "northeast" Dnever... havent got around to that yet. Nor have I Aurora I never really felt unsafe in aurora...

Old 09-30-2009, 08:50 PM

3 posts, read 10,676 times
Question Defining "Ghetto" for Denver Natives

(DONT GET EXCITED: I say THERE ARE NO GHETTOS IN DENVER)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Denver does not have any ghettos. Aurora, 5 points, Federal...those aren't ghettos. They are just slightly rough neighborhoods.

Lots of people in Denver are so isolated out there in the mountains that they have never even seen an actual American ghetto before.

Imagine the streets of Somolia. People survive or dont, period. There is no economy, there is no polotics, its primodial human survival. This is the "Epitomy" of "Ghettos". Is not much as a political warzone (to my knolidge) as much as it is a warzone in other areas. Now, lets get back to America. There is some completely... Incerdible places here.

(Defenition to Denver Natives that have never experienced a "real ghetto")
Cities who have severe economic problems tend to have ghettos. Ill use Detriot for example. Entire residental districts abandoned. For debatable reasons, there are also entire factories abandoned. Its part of a chain of midwest cities known as "The Rust Belt". What remains is very little. Its not quite a "No Economy" situation, but the aspects of primordial survival still exist. Ghettos can include parts of Atlanta as well. There was a sinkhole on a highway, and a car drove into it. People actuly stole the radio. LOL. (Vandals Target Car Swallowed By Sinkhole - News Story - WSB Atlanta)

Do these exist in Denver? No, for the large part. There are Wealthy parts, like Cherry Hills. There are average parts, and depressed parts. These "Depressed Parts" have a strained economy. (edit: SOUTH) Broadway (edit: Near University) is not the happiest part of town, but its merely that. There are its fair-share of break ins quite nearby. There are gentrified parts of Colfax and Patrols have reaaly stepped up there for the most part... during "normal" buisness hours. At night, Its not a Ghetto by all means. It is still rather grimy, IMHO. Federal Blvd. also has some "fun" side streets.

Denver has its fair share of "unreported crime" as well. One of my friends who owned a shop arrived to work with bulletholes in the window in Bonnie Brae. It was never reported. Happened again. Never reported. If its not reported, then "crime rates go down".

If you lived in or near a ghetto, please feel free to critique me. Id appreciate it, personaly.
Im fixin for an argument, rofl. A constructive argument, that is.

Heres a great quote that summs up my argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanswindle View Post
Born and raised in Denver to the ripe age of 24, I have been to every part of the area at every part of night and 6 months ago, as with all my life and the same for any Denver native, I was convinced that some parts were 'ghetto'.

I have for the past 6 months lived in Pittsburgh and can tell you without question, there is not so much as a single building that you can call ghetto in Denver. Denver does not have houses standing on blocks. Denver does not have blocks of houses where parts of the exterior walls are missing, and the windows have been boarded up with doors. Denver does not have entire blocks of houses where there's corrugated fiberglass hovels partially constructed against the houses as make shift extensions.

There is no ghetto in Denver. There are however meth labs, so don't live near 84th and washington unless you want your windows blown out by an explosion in your neighbors kitchen. And never stay in a hotel on Colfax, but feel free to walk colfax at night, especially in downtown denver, there tend to be so many people on it, cops everywhere, and the street is thoroughly well lit. Just make sure you're not there past 2 after the bar rush has emptied and it turns into a ghost street, then something might happen.
That too... The "Bar Rush" is a "very fun" time to be out.

Last edited by LocalAirmanDude; 09-30-2009 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Added quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver