Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:28 PM

253 posts, read 865,255 times

Advertisements

There may be certain areas of Denver that are rougher than others, but "Ghettos," what most Americans associate with the word do not exist in Denver.
If you want to see a Ghetto...go to Baltimore around the hospital at John Hopkin's, they have guard stations outside the entrance and the subway drops people off under the hospital, so no one has to walk outside or the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, which is affiliated with the University of Maryland in Baltimore and is number one in treating Shock Trauma injuries in the US. Go visit North and some parts of West Philadelphia, go visit certain areas of DC, Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, the Bronx, and LA.
Anyone who thinks Denver has an actual ghetto needs to travel more!

Old 10-10-2009, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 13,433 times
A few year back I worked someone from New York City, she would on and on about how people from Denver know nothing about crime BLAH, BLAH, BLAH then one day she started in on "OMG, but tornado season", I thought she was going to have a heart attack on the spot!!!!!! The truth is that Denver has an occasional tornado but does not have a "tornado problem".
The problem is in the eye of the beholder. I travel a lot and I like to really explore the places I go to. I recently found myself standing in Harlem late at night (oops). I didn't panic, figured out where I needed to go and went on my way. I have had similar experiences in other large and small cities. If you’re smart, and you don't fall to pieces at the first sign of trouble you are probably going to be fine.
I teach just outside of the Denver area, some of the trailer parks and weekly rate motels are pretty scary. The shootings, meth labs, prostitution, fights on and on and on. I have known people, in Denver, who have been robbed, had guns pulled on them, raped, shot, found meth labs etc, etc, etc. Are these areas "ghetto" depends on your definition, if you’re the one getting mugged, jumped or looking down the barrel of the gun it might feel a little ghetto.
This "I'm tougher than you because I'm from New York" or "If you want to see crime go to [fill in city name]", or "there is no crime in Denver becasue I have never seen it" or any of the other condescending crap people spew is silly. Consider what is going on in Juarez Mexico and what has occured in Columbia and you can easitly say the US has NO real "ghetto" areas. Denver does not have the urban blight caused, in many cities, by the collapse of the manufacturing industry. But "ghetto" is largely open to interpretation.

Last edited by Nitabug; 10-10-2009 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: paragraphs won't save properly

Old 10-15-2009, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 13,490 times
Half the people on this thread have asked what is considered a ghetto. For the politically correct, a ghetto is an area that is majority black or spanish and has a high crime rate. That is what almost every person in the USA considers a ghetto. I left white people out because for the most part I have never seen or heard of a white ghetto. They usually have thier trailer parks, which are just as bad but they are not called ghettos.
There was a response earlier in the thread about a young white couple that moved into a black area of Denver and the response from a black resident was that they were there to help it from the black people. Unfortunately that is the way it is. To revitalize a crime riden area the city has to attract white people to move in. It has and will continue to happen all over the US. If someone can provide an example of an area that was revitalized by having black or spanish people move in I would like to hear about it.
Lastly, please donot respond to this post saying that I have made outrages racist remarks because there is not a single remark that is racist in the whole post. Just because I used the terms black, spanish, and white does not make me racist. And, I really do want to see examples that make my statement wrong.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:05 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,410,403 times
I recently spent three and a half days in and about Denver for the first time so feel slightly qualified to answer.

First of all dealing with the debate of what a ghetto is. The first ghetto's by definition ofcourse were the poor neighborhoods jews were forced to live in in large European cities. The first ghettos in America were probably the tenenment buildings of New York City where (mostly white) immigrants were crowded in to raggedy rat infested apartments. You had Irish, Italian, Jewish, Polish, etc. etc. ghettos there. But now ghettos are mostly considered any area's that are poor run down and have high crime. It's even used as a verb ( the OP used it that way) to describe people, things or attitudes that are of or belonging to these areas.

Ok. Keeping that in mind having covered a huge amount of the Denver area during my stay, Aurora, Downtown, Lodo, Thorton, Golden, Louisiana- Pearl, West Colfax, Cherry Creek, Colorado Blvd, Speer Blvd, Far North around 102nd and other places.

After traveling through all these places and alot more I only saw two or three places that looked even slightly depressed and one industrial area that looked kind of spooky at night. I even saw a few homeless people Downtown and in a park but nothing and I mean NOTHING that rivaled the really bad neighborhoods I've seen in Georgia.

Overall I was amazed at how clean, well kept and affluent everything was considering I did such a large amount of driving in the area. So my answer would be No there aren't any ghetto areas of Denver unless they are very well hidden.

And to emphasize here are pictures of what ghettos look like in the South Georgia region I grew up in. No nothing I saw in Denver even reminded me of this.

Last edited by Galounger; 10-23-2009 at 04:15 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 04:31 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,344,256 times
Galounger,

You have reconfirmed what I have been trying to say. Denver is not all that bad compared to other cities. I grew up near the east side of Buffalo and the conditions are in many places much worse than these pictures. I have lived in NYC, Dallas/Ft. Worth and Baltimore. In addition, I have been to Detroit, Cleveland, Newark, Los Angeles and many other worse cities than Denver.

Yes The Denver Metro area has crime and some areas are more dangerous than others. Yes, you must watch yourself and especially your children. However, Denver does not have the decay and crime of many other cities; It is comparatively safer, clean and progressive.

Livecontent

Old 10-23-2009, 05:20 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,410,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Galounger,

You have reconfirmed what I have been trying to say. Denver is not all that bad compared to other cities. I grew up near the east side of Buffalo and the conditions are in many places much worse than these pictures. I have lived in NYC, Dallas/Ft. Worth and Baltimore. In addition, I have been to Detroit, Cleveland, Newark, Los Angeles and many other worse cities than Denver.

Yes The Denver Metro area has crime and some areas are more dangerous than others. Yes, you must watch yourself and especially your children. However, Denver does not have the decay and crime of many other cities; It is comparatively safer, clean and progressive.

Livecontent
In the neighborhood I took those pictures in there was a story today where someone shot at and hit a police cruiser. And that's just a little rural town of 15,000 but that's not that unusual in those towns. Atlanta is much worse. The first part of the Atlanta news almost everynight includes stories of the types of crimes and violence that makes you go . I watch the Denver news all the time (KWGN) and on there as well as other news networks while visiting I hardly ever hear stuff that bad.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 20,508 times
If you think Denver is ghetto it means that you need to travel more. Simple as that. And maybe leave the suburbs.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:37 AM

1 posts, read 10,514 times
Sun Valley Projects, Alameda, Federal..all pretty "ghetto".

Old 12-29-2009, 08:38 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,314,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30303denver View Post
Sun Valley Projects, Alameda, Federal..all pretty "ghetto".
I have to disagree. Admittedly those areas aren't as affluent as some parts of the Denver Metro, but they certainly aren't "ghetto" by any stretch of the imagination.

In fact, Federal is actually a pretty cool area for shopping and eating out. There are some fantastic mom and pop restaurants and ethnic stores. I go there to shop for food that I can't find in "normal" grocery stores all the time. Alameda also has some great ethnic stores. I've never felt unsafe and I've never seen anything in those areas that even comes close the "ghettos" I have seen in other major U.S. cities.

If you really think Federal is that bad, take a trip to South Central L.A. sometime. Just don't do it after dark...

Old 01-07-2010, 01:53 PM

109 posts, read 277,594 times
North Aurora around Colfax Ave. and Peoria St. is pretty rough especially in a Friday night. And pretty much all of the Denver area is known for meth labs.
But as far as a "real" ghetto you probably wont find one in Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver