Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:54 AM

8 posts, read 25,658 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from Southern California to Denver at the beginning of April.

What is the typical April/May weather in Denver? rainy? cold?

What should we buy/pack/etc clothes wise?

And should we buy the stuff here in Southern California or wait til we get to Denver?

Right now, looks like a lot of the winter/spring stuff is being clearanced out in the retail stores here. (rain jackets/rain boots/scarves/etc)

Is it the same in Denver?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 01:04 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,330,586 times
I wouldn't buy anything special, assuming you already have a jacket and some decent shoes. That time of year could be anything from snow to warm and sunny. I brought warmer clothes than I actually needed and that was February, not April/May. If you find yourself in need of new stuff, buy it in Denver and support your new local economy.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:08 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,234,855 times
The need for rain jackets and boots is minimal, unless you're going to be hiking, and/or doing a lot of walking for transportation. If you're going to hop in the car in the garage or in front of your house, drive to a location (e.g. school, grocery store, etc.) and go inside, you have little need for the stuff. If you envision waiting at a bus stop, maybe.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:48 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,690,648 times
Think layering. Because it was chilly this morning but might be sunny and warm this afternoon. And I work in an office where it's freezing, but outside in the summer it's hot. Colorado dressing is all about layering.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:31 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,937,252 times
turon wrote:
Bring everything from swimsuits to parkas and everything in between. At that time of the year, you might need any of those items on any given day!

Old 03-25-2011, 02:15 PM

8 posts, read 25,658 times
thanks for the suggestions! Been looking at the weather forecasts...and have been noticing that it's been chilly yet sunny! here it has been chilly and more wet! I will make sure to bring the layers! thanks everyone!

Old 03-25-2011, 02:35 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,551,922 times
You need to take in consideration that it is dry here. If you see 50 degrees and sunny in our forecast that could be the equivalent of 65 to 70 degrees in Southern California. People are running around in shorts, t-shirts and sandals when it is between 45 and 55 degrees here. I grew up in SoCal so that is how I come about my information. AS DenverLawGal said, layering is key.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:32 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,584,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turon View Post
We are relocating from Southern California to Denver at the beginning of April.

What is the typical April/May weather in Denver? rainy? cold?

And should we buy the stuff here in Southern California or wait til we get to Denver?

Right now, looks like a lot of the winter/spring stuff is being clearanced out in the retail stores here. (rain jackets/rain boots/scarves/etc)

Is it the same in Denver?

Thanks!
Yes, Denver stores are like retail outlets anywhere. They cycle clothing out in the middle of the season, so it's hard to buy a bathing suit in the middle of summer because they've already started stocking for fall and winter. If you can find a good rain jacket on sale in California, go ahead and buy it.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,690,648 times
That's funny. I'm in jeans with the legs rolled up, wedge heels and a mid sleeve sweater. I was doing great earlier but now it's chilly. Good thing I brought my light weight rain coat. Weather is so up and down here, but I'm glad I don't have awful wet or awful cold to deal with. I guess I'd call today "mild".

Did you see it rain yesterday for a whopping 3 minutes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
You need to take in consideration that it is dry here. If you see 50 degrees and sunny in our forecast that could be the equivalent of 65 to 70 degrees in Southern California. People are running around in shorts, t-shirts and sandals when it is between 45 and 55 degrees here. I grew up in SoCal so that is how I come about my information. AS DenverLawGal said, layering is key.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:17 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,234,855 times
I should clarify that when I said you don't need a raincoat, I mean you don't need something that will actually repel the rain, unless, as I said previously, you're going to be out in the weather a lot. However, a lightweight coat/jacket is a necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: