Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 08:25 AM

99 posts, read 335,667 times

Advertisements

We just asked Comcast to drop some of the movie channels that we have to lower our monthly bill. The representative said that they are not allowed to downgrade service and that they can only do upgrades. Has anyone else gotten this response from them? Needless to say, we are going to check into Direct TV and other companies. My cable bill keeps increasing constantly and at some point you have to draw the line!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 10:23 AM

58 posts, read 312,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom View Post
We just asked Comcast to drop some of the movie channels that we have to lower our monthly bill. The representative said that they are not allowed to downgrade service and that they can only do upgrades. Has anyone else gotten this response from them? Needless to say, we are going to check into Direct TV and other companies. My cable bill keeps increasing constantly and at some point you have to draw the line!
I called them a few days ago when I was deciding between DirectV and Comcast. I was told that after the initial year they can offer a higher priced package to get you on another bundle price but they cannot offer you something less than what you have. How stupid. It made the decision easy for me, off to DirectV and Qwest I went.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:15 AM

53 posts, read 227,164 times
Quote:
When my wife called to drop our premium channels, Comcast told her that after dropping those channels, our bill would be the same (obviously they mess with the numbers to avoid any downgrading). We called Direct TV that day. SO happy to be done supporting Comcast, especially their 10% yearly increases. Our previous $90/month cable bill is now $45 through Direct with more channels. If you use Qwest for DSL and/or phone, you will get an even greater package discount.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:06 PM

99 posts, read 335,667 times
Default Comcast

Thanks! You have just helped me to decide that the best Comcast plan is no plan at all!

Old 06-11-2008, 05:11 PM

353 posts, read 1,706,653 times
Can you use quest for DSL alone without telephone as well?

Old 06-12-2008, 07:52 AM

12 posts, read 52,645 times
Quote:
When my parents moved to a new house, they signed up for comcast's 1 year special deal. $99 a month for digital cable, internet, and phone. This included I think 2 digital cable boxes and 1 premium channel (HBO) which was actually about 6 or 7 HBOs, plus on demand. After the one year was up, they called to cancel one of the digital cable boxes and remove some channels, including HBO. This would have reduced the bill to less than $99 per month. The Comcast person on the phone tried to convince them to keep the service, and when that didn't work, they just offered to continue the $99 a month special indefinitely, even though it was only supposed to last a year.

It seems really weird that so many people have all these complaints about Comcast. My parents also had problems with slow internet and dropped connections, and when they called Comcast about it, they sent someone out the very next day who ran all new cables through most of the house, tested every outlet, and fixed the problem for free. It was something about old low quality cables and too many splits reducing the signal strength. Comcast definitely has issues and screws things up like any other company, but I haven't seen the types of horrible customer service that a lot of people here are talking about, it seems like the exact opposite to me.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:46 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,653 times
We have DirecTV for tv and Comcast for computer. We have no complaints about either. We have found DirecTV's customer service quite acceptable and they have always fixed any minor issues we have. Our bill has remained unchanged for several years. We have had 0 issues with snow or ice.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:06 PM

303 posts, read 1,560,592 times
I downgraded my comcast cable last summer with no problems - just called, said I wanted to switch to a lesser plan, and they changed it within minutes. I was switching from 'regular' cable to 'absolute minimal' cable, though, no movie channels involved....

Old 06-13-2008, 09:46 AM

53 posts, read 227,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
Can you use quest for DSL alone without telephone as well?
Yes, they have a deal where you can get DSL w/o a land line (smart biz decision given how many folks these days only have a cell). My sister-in-law did this and did not have any issues.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:56 AM

712 posts, read 2,146,027 times
Ahh.. my field of expertise.. internets mainly (not so much the cable)

This is what I know about the cable.. years ago before HD.. DirectTV was always better, I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing exists still today, I don't think comcast deployed the best HD technology or has enough spectrum as of yet for HD.. this is kind of like a fresh coat of paint on a used fiesta or 76' ford (it’s my understanding that eventually the DOCSIS 3.0 rollout will allow more bandwidth for HD, that and getting rid of analog)

As for as internets go..

Comcast
Pro's
- Fastest Downloads bar none (especially if they allowed all the speed they have..)
- Best routing (they use AT&T bandwidth, were as Qwest uses qwest.. everything with qwest goes through dallas?)
- Future broadband deployment of Docsis 3.0 (already available in 2 test city's) with 50 mbit of download
- 10 ms first hop

Con's
- Cherry pick customers based on downloads or if your top 3% user expect a phone call
- Charge a lot
- Currently filtering torrent downloads (which brings up a lot of issues like what else would they filter voip etc?)

Qwest
- Cheapest provider (though covad resold through AT&T/others may be $20 for 1st year)
- Doesn't care what you download (giving 5 to 7 mbit now for comcasts base rate)

Cons
- Have to have a phone line and if you don't sometimes get hit with dry line DSL fee
- Seems to not even upgrade their customers to higher speeds.. I've seen a few of my customers (I work on computers) running at 256k still or 640k..
- More noticeable outages (while comcast basically never goes down or rarely.. I've seen quite a few qwest modems work iffy as of late.. there are supposed issues with comcast but I've never seen one in many, many years of service work)
- 40 ms first hop and note I consider qwests network a downer.. takes 100 ms to get anywhere on it.. not acceptable to all gamers..

Covad ADSL (resold through earthlink/cyberonic/AT&T etc. if you don't buy it resold prepare to pay a fortune)

Pro's
- Level 3 and XO bandwidth, very nice (the level 3 anyway)
- 10 ms first hop when working in FAST mode (but if your too far out it may not be stable)
- 40 ms first hop working in stable mode (earthlink seems to do this a lot)
- Static IP with some (I think you have to pay for this with qwest and comcast no longer has the option I believe)

Con's
- May not be stable in FAST mode
- Depending on reseller or direct you may pay a lot.. (depends)
- You may also be looking at some expense of "Dry Line" fee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: