U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2010, 03:13 PM

18 posts, read 24,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
It's been a while since I looked at houses, but at least in my subdivision of Saddle Rock Ridge, there are a wide variety of homes, most in the $200K-$350K. Our house is 4 bedrooms, just under 2000 sq ft, on a lot that backs to open space, a short walk to the elementary school and high school and has an unfinished, walk-out basement and we bought it for $265K.
Is that 2000 finished sq ft or total sq ft? Something like that sounds like it might be just right for us, and an unfinished basement is fine for us because I can do some work myself to finish it. But, I can't do serious house hunting until I actually find a job out there!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 03:29 PM

2,212 posts, read 3,160,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan5 View Post
Is that 2000 finished sq ft or total sq ft? Something like that sounds like it might be just right for us, and an unfinished basement is fine for us because I can do some work myself to finish it. But, I can't do serious house hunting until I actually find a job out there!
Yes, our square footage does not include the basement and it's just under 2000...I think it's 1992 sq ft or something like that. Our goal was to find a house with all 4 bedrooms and a bath and master bath on the top floor, and all of the other living space on the first floor. I didn't want to have to go up and down stairs to watch tv, do laundry, go to the bathroom, etc. My husband had knee surgery recently and it was nice because he only needed to go up the stairs once to go to bed and down the stairs once to do everything else. The unfinished basement right now holds our workout equipment, an entertainment system, and stuff that would otherwise go into the garage.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:02 PM

94 posts, read 153,781 times
Quote:
And YOU are overly hostile about an area that you obviously know NOTHING about.
Oh but I do. I made the mistake right out of school renting a place near the Southlands mall, and I worked downtown.

In the end I was able to carpool with 3 of my neighbors who were in the same sad situation. I have not kept up with all of them but 2 of the other 3 have since moved closer to the city for reasons that I understand. 45 minutes was being generous, we often spent well over an hour on our commute, each way.

I would never ever trade that time spent in a car not to mention the gasoline it took for a cheap place to live again. The fact that you continue to push this same compromise to someone who is better suited living closer to where their employment is (my same situation) makes me question your motives. Are you trying to fill the numerous foreclosures in your neck of the woods before your property value falls even more than it has already? I know the place I rented was one of 3 on the block that as of last year was abandoned and I am damn glad I had the sense not to buy in that area when I easily could have. A couple more years of savings bought me a place that has not depreciated at least.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:56 PM

2,212 posts, read 3,160,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outside1 View Post
Oh but I do. I made the mistake right out of school renting a place near the Southlands mall, and I worked downtown.

I would never ever trade that time spent in a car not to mention the gasoline it took for a cheap place to live again. The fact that you continue to push this same compromise to someone who is better suited living closer to where their employment is (my same situation) makes me question your motives. Are you trying to fill the numerous foreclosures in your neck of the woods before your property value falls even more than it has already? I know the place I rented was one of 3 on the block that as of last year was abandoned and I am damn glad I had the sense not to buy in that area when I easily could have. A couple more years of savings bought me a place that has not depreciated at least.
Gawd. First, let me ask you to show me PROOF that I have told someone to live in SE Aurora who works in downtown Denver. Please. If you can do that, I will make a public apology and never come to the Denver threads again. You can click on my user name and search my comments. I KNOW very well what I have said. I have never told anyone who didn't mention specifically that they were going to work at the Tech Center, Buckley AFB, DIA, Parker or in Aurora (or a few who don't care WHERE they live because they telecommute) that they should move to this side of the city. I HAVE said it's not inconvenient to go downtown periodically but have said time and again that it would not be a good place to commute from. If you were dumb enough to do that, then I guess it speaks more to your lack of planning than anything else. Apparently you still have some resentment towards an entire area for a choice that YOU made. That's really unfortunate.

I can't say with 100% certainty that there aren't foreclosures in Saddle Rock Ridge. There are 2000+ homes in this subdivision and I am sure we are in no way immune to what's going on in the rest of the country. I can only speak about my neighborhood of 25+ homes and will say that there are no foreclosures here. Even if there were, why would we be different than the rest of the country? A few freeway exits away in homes near Quincy Ave, there was a newspaper article about the high number of foreclosures, but that is not where I live. I can only speak for my home that we bought 2 years ago and when we got our property tax statement, it said our value was up a whopping $55. It doesn't make much difference to us since we are going to live here for the long haul and fully plan to pay off our mortgage anyway.

As for "filling numerous foreclosures," all I can say AGAIN is that you will never see a statement from me saying that someone should buy a property out here who works in Denver. I honestly don't care if someone buys a foreclosure. My enthusiasm for the area we live in has to do with a few things. First, it's in an awesome school district that I know does a great job year after year. Second, it's in a low-crime area. I can ride my bike for miles in any direction and can go to the store at midnight if there's an emergency and I am not fearful of being mugged in the parking lot. Third, it's surburbia. For me, I want to raise my kids in a place full of mom's groups, parks, rec centers and kids playing in the street. Since I found this place, I am extremely happy and last time I checked, C-D was a place to give advice to others who are looking for something similar. I have never told someone who was single and looking for nightlife or someone who was vehemently against look-a-like housing to move out here. It's not for everyone. I share my opinion with people about school districts and suburbia.

You enjoy your life wherever you think your "perfect place" is and I will enjoy mine. I just can't figure out why you are so angry and judgmental. Sorry you didn't enjoy your time out here. I wouldn't have liked living here if I was driving to downtown every day either. The people I know personally out here like where we live very much. I have been all over the metro area and when I go to a new neighborhood to visit friends in Golden, Stapleton, Littleton or Boulder, I usually think, "Oh this is a nice area". Apparently your brain heads into the "these people are idiots to live all the way out here". Perhaps you can utilize your energies in volunteering and doing good deeds. You are way too angry about people and geography to live a happy life. Hopefully you will find something to make you happy enough to be able to turn that around. It certainly isn't healthy or sensible to get so worked up over total strangers who don't work where you do anyway.

And, just so we're 100% clear:

ATTENTION EVERYONE LOOKING FOR A HOUSE! If you are working on the eastern side of Metro-Denver, SE Aurora and Centennial are great places to live. If you work in downtown Denver or anywhere on the western side of metro-Denver, you shouldn't look out here.

Last edited by the3Ds; 02-26-2010 at 02:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver