Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:03 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,824,355 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how many of you have been approached by people asking for money in parking lots? I live up in Thornton and this has happened to me twice since I got a car (about a month ago).

I was used to this downtown on the street and stuff, but it seems weird to me that the suburbs have this problem too. And I get freaked out when strange people approach me in parking lots b/c there aren't always other people around. I don't know, just my weird phobia.

Has this always been a problem and I'm just becoming exposed to it as a new driver, or is this a recent happening? Curious to hear your thoughts/stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 07:39 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
It happens to me sometimes, but never in Thornton. Mostly on Colfax.

Just shoe 'em off.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:25 PM

345 posts, read 973,790 times
I've started seeing panhandlers as far south as County Line Rd. I also see them on Arapahoe Rd near Havana.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:38 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
Every major corner between 6th Ave and 285 as far west of the city as Wadsworth... I had a couple 'kids' ask me for money in the Bear Valley shopping center (Home Depot) just a few minutes ago.

I wish the "bleeding hearts" would understand that these people pan-handle because it's lucrative. They make more money doing this than a lot of people who try to contribute some work in return for money.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:10 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
\
I wish the "bleeding hearts" would understand that these people pan-handle because it's lucrative. They make more money doing this than a lot of people who try to contribute some work in return for money.

I seriously doubt that. Provide facts for your claim.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:09 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,679 times
I recall reading an article several years ago about the panhandlers on the Boardwalk of Atlantic City. Several of them made 100K+ per year.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:24 PM

621 posts, read 1,053,786 times
Tips For Effective Panhandling - Technology News Story - KPHO Phoenix

From my personal experience, the panhandlers in Durango area oftentimes do it for spare cash. Yes. Some are actually homeless, but not all of them.

I recently met a few college students that do it for extra cash....

It was quite an odd stare they received from me.

I couldn't help it! I was dumbfounded.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,627 times
It's good money-maker, I knew someone who boasted about making $50/hr (tax free of course) at peak traffic rush. They would always jockey for the prime spots, and sometimes there would be many panhandlers occupying just 1 intersection, spread out at medians and sides. One time I flagged a young healthy looking panhandler down to offer him a paying job to do some heavy lifting and he just laughed and shoo'ed me away.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:56 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
I overheard several panhandlers on the "BX" express bus route between Boulder and Denver talking about the best places to score cash panhandling in Boulder.

Of course, some panhandlers are likely more skilled in their "occupation" than others -- and many of the truly homeless suffer from various psychiatric issues that likely interfere with their abilities to rake in lots of cash panhandling.

Nevertheless, I don't think you'll find ANYONE who actually works with homeless that would recommend you give money to panhandlers, since all you're doing is enabling substance abuse, or worse. In downtown Denver, you're best off channeling your generosity to the "parking meters" on the Mayor's drive to end homelessness, or better yet, make a generous contribution to your favorite non-profit.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:14 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,476 times
I came across a panhandler in Boston a few years back with a sign "Why lie? I just want a beer!"

If I see one on the street and they are asking for money for food and truly look homeless, I've gone and bought them a sandwich at a fast food place instead of giving cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver