Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:22 PM

26 posts, read 94,697 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, I posted a question about finding a place to live a few months ago, which was, admittedly, vague and open-ended. But my cloudy future is starting to coalesce into something I can plan around. Looks like I'll be moving to Denver within a month to six weeks! Yes, I'm very excited. So I'm going to ask a follow-up question with some more specifics.

I'm looking for an "upscale" apartment complex (newer is better) in a neighborhood populated by degreed professionals. I have a decent job, and I'm not interested in living like a college student (been there, done that) I'm looking for a 1000 sq ft, one-bedroom apartment, and I expect it to rent for $1000-$1500 a month. While I'm looking to avoid overpriced places, I'd consider paying up to $1800 if I thought an apartment was exceptional. Upgraded gas appliances, covered parking, proximity to a good grocery store, access to light rail, a *real* workout room, and access to running/biking trails are big pluses. Walkability is a nice-to-have, not a need-to-have. Also, I'm single and in my early 40's, so I'd like it if there were 30- and 40-somethings in the area (as opposed to "college kids partying until 3 am", "Crips/Bloods recruiting officers", or "trailer families with five screaming kids running around in the yard").

I still don't know whether I'll be working in the DTC or the Westminster/Broomfield area, so I need options to cover either possibility. I don't mind commuting 20 minutes or so.

I apologize if I'm coming across as a hoidy-toidy stuck-up jerk, but I've learned to be picky about apartments, where every low-budget anthill is advertised as a "luxury apartment", and your neighbors play a huge part in how much you enjoy your new home. I know there will be trade-offs, and I won't find a "perfect" apartment.

So what places should I check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 07:08 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
If it was just DTC I'd say check out Legacy at Highlands Ranch which is fairly new and pretty nice, but I may have a different view of a "luxury apartment" being a family man

Old 03-01-2010, 11:55 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
Too funny. Guess most of us live like a family man or a college student according to this.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
coyoteloon - You should move to coastal SoCal, you would fit right in with the single upscale wannabees. Let me guess, you drive a BMW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteloon View Post
I apologize if I'm coming across as a hoidy-toidy stuck-up jerk
Apology accepted

Last edited by Mach50; 03-02-2010 at 12:09 AM..

Old 03-02-2010, 12:59 AM

971 posts, read 1,294,582 times
Why are the people responding to this thread from California?

Anyway, I'd look at the Riverfront Park neighborhood. All the the buildings are new, nice, and the crowd is therefore a bit older and not the college scene. It's right by Union Station and its many light rail lines, close to the highway, extremely walkable, near bike and running paths. They'll be more amenities once the Union Station neighborhood starts to build out, but there are some restaurants and a Vitamin Cottage (small, upscale grocery store) right there.

Most of the building are condos, but a ton of the units were purchased by investors and are for rent. I'd try searching (craigslist perhaps) by building: Glass House, Creekside Lofts, The Manhattan, Park Place Lofts, Promenade Lofts, Riverfront Tower, The Station At Riverfront.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:22 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Why are the people responding to this thread from California?

Some of us have been househunting(or apartment hunting) in the Denver area, and that information could be helpful to people also looking to come to Denver

Old 03-02-2010, 01:55 AM

971 posts, read 1,294,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post

Some of us have been househunting(or apartment hunting) in the Denver area, and that information could be helpful to people also looking to come to Denver
I was mainly referring to the other 2 responses on here: Willy720 (Vegas) and Mach50 (SoCal) who attacked the OP seemingly for wanting to live somewhere upscale and added absolutely nothing to the thread.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:25 AM

26 posts, read 94,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
coyoteloon - You should move to coastal SoCal, you would fit right in with the single upscale wannabees. Let me guess, you drive a BMW?

Apology accepted
Heh - yeah, I know this posting absolutely reeks of condescension. But I'm using the "aim for the stars, reach the moon" philosophy. My experience is that it's most important to price an apartment according to neighborhood and neighbors. The caliber of the apartment will take care of itself. In a way, I'm being a bigot - an *economic* bigot. I'd rather live next to Heathcliff Huxtable than Larry the Cable Guy.

I've just noticed that a lot of the "where to live" advice in these forums has been aimed at younger, fresh-out-of-college folks who need to stretch every dollar to its limit. And that's fine. I'm just in a different place in my life now, and I'm fortunate enough to have bumped up my standards from the days when I used milk crates and pizza boxes as furniture.

I also know that a lot of young folks want to live downtown in a vibrant, exciting, go-go urban area that doesn't go to sleep until the wee hours. And those days are *loooong* gone for me, unfortunately. So I'm going to be happier living a short drive away from the culture/restaurants/museums, than say, living in an admittedly-cool loft that's situated over top of a rave bar.

Last edited by coyoteloon; 03-02-2010 at 08:34 AM..

Old 03-02-2010, 08:55 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,882 times
Not sure about apartments, most of the professionals I know who live communally own condos downtown, you can get a decent one around 300k.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:05 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
The OP is explaining what he is looking for...I don't see a problem with that. I have kids and live in the burbs....I didn't find it condescending at all....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver