Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,089 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Denver from Albuquerque in June and are already looking for a home to purchase in the north Denver area. My husband will be working in Thornton very near 120th street and I-25. Here are some of the criteria we have so far:
We would like to have over 2 acres and horses allowed.
We are looking for a good Christian church.
We homeschool our kids, both middle school and high school and would like to find homeschool sports leagues and co-op classes.
Our girls are violin players and we will need a good teacher.
My husband would like to commute no more than 30-45 minutes one way.

Areas that we have looked at so far are north and east of Thornton, in what is considered Brighton or Thornton. Also we have looked on the west side as far north as Berthoud. We don't want to spend more than 500k on a house.

Things that are important to us are things like safety and having a sense of community. We lived for a couple of years in the north Colo Springs area and felt very safe and we felt it was a great place to raise kids.

I would especially appreciate any input, with reasons to support it, regarding areas that we should avoid.

We would love to find a small town feel but are wondering if that is possible in such a metropolitan area.

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
You pretty much nailed it.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,089 times
Not sure what you mean.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:02 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdma View Post
Not sure what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdma View Post
Areas that we have looked at so far are north and east of Thornton, in what is considered Brighton or Thornton. We don't want to spend more than 500k on a house.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:49 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
It's hard to find large lot and equine properties really close in. I'd say you're already looking in the right places. Clearly east of I-25 will be much closer to your range than west, as Boulder County is quite expensive. Berthoud is just outside of Boulder county, but it contains many people who commute to Boulder county, so my guess is that it also might be a bit on the high side as a result.

Your price range (500k) is ample I think to find what you're looking for, as long as you're not to concerned about being close in or west. Thankfully, your job at 120th and I-25 is at the north end of town, so you're not likely to have to commute too far, though I'll warn you that traffic can be very bad on I-25 from about mile marker 240 all the way into Denver in the morning. Still, I think a 30-45 minute commute is doable.

As for homeschooling and Christian churches, both are very common here and you should have no problem finding other homeschooling families and an ample number of churches.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:37 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Not sure if this is of interest but there are two homes under $500K in Broomfield right near the 144th I-25 exit so about 10 min. to your husbands work.
REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=838379 - broken link)
REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=846454 - broken link)

These are on the west side of I-25. There are similar neighborhoods on the east side but I'm not sure how to search their subdivision names.

On the east side there is a nice looking newer neighborhood called Todd Creek. Here is one home offered there that is zoned for horses.
REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=827043 - broken link)

However I would check out their current water situation as when we were looking (8 years ago so my info. may be out of date) they had problems with their water supply.

For any home you are serious about make sure you understand what water system they are part of and whether they have senior water rights and good water. Some neighborhoods in the foothills have well water. Some flatland neighborhoods (but I'm only familiar with the ones south of Denver where I used to live) are off of underground water supplies which may not last all that much longer.

Best of luck.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:02 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,276 times
Berkeley!

Old 03-06-2010, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 19,981 times
I love that website, too! Todd Creek is nice, Wadley Farms is really close to 120th/I-25. I'd prefer Boulder County, Adams 12 school district to Brighton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver