Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,938 times

Advertisements

Hello!

A friend and I are planning to move from Madison, WI to Denver or Boulder area by August after the festival season. We'd like to hear any input from anyone that have moved their within the past 1-2 years! Jobs, people, shows, etc!!! ANY input would be great! thanks and love to all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 10:12 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,019 times
It sounds like you're young and seeking adventure. Good for you. Enjoy life.

I can safely say that getting a job will be difficult and it will probably take several months or longer to find any job, let alone a job you like. Do you know Spanish ? I think learning to speak Spanish can be very beneficial for getting a job in Colorado.

Other than that, I can't help you much because I don't know what you're looking for in Denver, other than "shows," but I don't know anything about that.

I would recommend browsing through the Denver forum as well as other websites about Denver in order to get a better idea of what Denver is about, so you can ask more specific questions as they come to your mind during your research.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:05 AM

180 posts, read 378,321 times
I just moved here a month ago from Chicago.

The job market, like everywhere else, is pretty thin. Be prepared for a nice long search.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:18 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
I can safely say that getting a job will be difficult and it will probably take several months or longer to find any job, let alone a job you like. Do you know Spanish ? I think learning to speak Spanish can be very beneficial for getting a job in Colorado.
I disagree, there's not a need for this unless you're working for a customer service company or Government department that has a lot of Spanish speaking clients

Old 03-04-2010, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,855 times
Denver is nice - lots to do, escpecially outdoor activites. I lived there 20 years ago, so I do not know what it is like now. My husband just got a job there and he will be moving there soon. His job is in Aurora and it is a great job and promotion. Unfortunately, I am a teacher and have 10 years experience, but am concerned about getting a job there. Does anyone know how the job market is for teachers. I speak some Spanish and am endorsed to teach English as a 2nd language I live in New Mexico and love everything about it. I really do not want to relocate, but I have no choice!! Please let me know if I have a chance to get a job with the economy and all. Thanks!!

Old 03-04-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I disagree, there's not a need for this unless you're working for a customer service company or Government department that has a lot of Spanish speaking clients
Customer service and government are big industries. Not to mention if she's in the education field, Spanish would be a huge plus there as well. We are a services oriented economy. I don't know what the OP's field is, but good communication skills are a positive for most jobs. And speaking in Spanish allows you to communicate with a larger percentage of Colorado's population.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojeda View Post
Denver is nice - lots to do, escpecially outdoor activites. I lived there 20 years ago, so I do not know what it is like now. My husband just got a job there and he will be moving there soon. His job is in Aurora and it is a great job and promotion. Unfortunately, I am a teacher and have 10 years experience, but am concerned about getting a job there. Does anyone know how the job market is for teachers. I speak some Spanish and am endorsed to teach English as a 2nd language I live in New Mexico and love everything about it. I really do not want to relocate, but I have no choice!! Please let me know if I have a chance to get a job with the economy and all. Thanks!!
I think the job market for teachers is very tough. However, I think that knowing Spanish will be a plus for you, as it was in New Mexico.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:49 PM

7 posts, read 15,164 times
Good luck with your move!!! Denver is awesome! The job market is definitely tough but the same goes for most places across the country.

I just moved to Denver from New Jersey this past August. I am in my mid-20s and my sister and a friend of ours all moved out here together. My sister is a teacher and she was able to find a job in a suburb outside of Denver. From what I've been hearing, there are a lot of budget cuts and teaching jobs are scarce. My other friend who came is a nurse..she was able to get a job secured before we moved as well.

It took me about 4 months to find a job. I had saved up as much money as I could while working at home ...then planned on spending several months looking for a job. There are a lot of temp agencies in the area also that can provide a source of income while looking for a job. Eventually I got a job in December and have really been enjoying it. It's only about a 15 minute commute....so it all worked out in the end. Just be prepared that it won't be easy finding a job and look ahead as much as possible.

There are so many great parks in Denver. So if you like biking, walking your dog, running, and just being outside Denver is a lot of fun. Plus, the ski towns are not too far ...so there is always something cool to explore. Shopping is good and there are lots of nice places to go out downtown. We have been traveling all over...Rocky Mt. National Park, Glenwood Springs, Aspen....etc...it's awesome out here....can't wait to see even more of the state.

The weather has been great this year especially compared to the east coast so I can't complain. It's almost 60 degrees here today! People are pretty friendly. There are several good venues for concerts. Red Rocks in the summer is amazing!

Overall, I absolutely love it out here!

Old 03-05-2010, 10:48 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeaghanCO View Post

There are so many great parks in Denver. So if you like biking, walking your dog, running, and just being outside Denver is a lot of fun.
I like Washington Park (the park itself). It's got volleyball pits, tennis, tables, bbq areas, lakes, and it's a huge park with a paved path going all the way around it which people use for biking and roller blading. Admittedly the lakes are filthy and the geese and ducks make the park grounds filthy, but still it's a cool park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver