U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2007, 08:43 PM

19 posts, read 100,366 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We're considering the following areas for our relocation:

Castle Rock
Castle Pines North
Highlands Ranch
Parker
Lone Tree

Can someone please let me know which of these areas is year round or point me in the right direction as to where I can locate the info?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 10:48 PM

87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
I think all those schools are in the Douglas County SD. So you can google their website and find out which are year-round and which are traditional.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:51 PM

10,912 posts, read 29,400,922 times
DCSD Home Page

Most Elementary schools are on tracks - some are not.

All Middle & High schools are on conventional calendar years.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:24 PM

19 posts, read 100,366 times
Thanks for the replies!

2beindenver you are always so helpful! Thank you!

Old 06-05-2007, 08:08 PM

10,912 posts, read 29,400,922 times
Default from the horses mouth (so to speak)

May 31, 2007 [ http://www.dcsdk12.org/portal/page/p...07Newsline.pdf ]Newsline A weekly news source from Douglas County School District

CLASSES CONTINUE FOR YEAR-ROUND SCHOOLS

While most of Douglas County’s students are out for the summer, many are still hitting the books in 4-track, year-round schools. More than 56 percent of the district’s 28,406 elementary school students attend classes in year-round schools.

Over half of the district’s 42 elementary schools currently use a year-round calendar. Redstone Elementary in Highlands Ranch is moving to a year-round schedule for 2007-2008, bringing the number of 4-track, year-round schools to 24.

In 1986, the Board of Education adopted the 4-track, year-round concept as a way to keep up with the county’s tremendous growth. Today, that growth continues to be a challenge as the district adds between 2,000 and 2,500 new students a year. That equates to at least three elementary schools. The year-round calendar allows the district to place up to 25 percent more students in a school using a 4-track system, thus increasing the building’s capacity.

“To accommodate today’s elementary students and place all schools on a conventional calendar, the district would need to build between six and eight more schools,” said Chief Operating Officer Steve Herzog. “At an approximate total cost of over $120 million, that just isn’t feasible.”

The district’s philosophy is to use the 4-track, year-round calendar and/or mobile classrooms to accommodate peak enrollments in neighborhoods so, in the long term, the district isn’t overbuilding, explains Herzog. When neighborhoods are built out and the peak enrollment period has subsided, the school size typically reverts to the point where year-round schedules and/or mobiles are no longer necessary. An example would be the district’s first 4-track, year-round school, Sand Creek Elementary, which is now on a conventional schedule.

“The use of 4-track, year-round calendars and mobile classrooms has enabled the district to save taxpayers millions of dollars in capital expenditures, while planning for the day when growth is minimal and we aren’t overbuilt like some Metro Denver districts,” adds Herzog.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:51 PM

Personlly, I'm all in favor of it.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 5,866 times
why would u have school year round?
Arguments against Year Round Education
• Studies have been inconclusive to its academic benefits.
• Students are going to forget information whether they are out of school for three weeks or 10. Therefore, teachers will be performing four beginning of the year reviews instead of just one.
• Summer programs such as youth camps suffer.
• Student summer employment will be virtually impossible.
• Many schools are older and do not have air conditioning.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:03 PM

619 posts, read 1,960,384 times
Holy thread revival, Batman!

I think you will find that communities that have year-round school have adapted to the schedule. Camps & enrichment programs are available for off-track periods; local business understand the school schedules and can create schedules to accommodate student workers. I am unaware of any Douglas County schools without air-conditioning, so that isn't at issue here.

There are plenty of positives, however the predominant reason is crowded schools. As HR was being developed, building the schools lagged behind the homes. Having multiples tracks helped educate more kids in less space. Now that HR is almost built out, I believe there are only two DC elementary schools still on a year-round schedule.

So, it really isn't that much of an issue almost 4 years after the initial post.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:05 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,937,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Personlly, I'm all in favor of it.
I am for year round school across the country. I read a book by Malcom Gladwell which convinced me of it:

Quote:
Gladwell cites a study by Karl Alexander, a sociologist from Johns Hopkins, who tracked the progress of 650 Baltimore students through elementary school. The students took standardized tests in math and reading at the beginning and end of each year. Year after year, the scores showed the "achievement gap" that has drawn concern from lawmakers for a long time. With each year, the gap between the scores of the low-income and the upper-income students grew further apart.

Alexander took his analysis further, finding that between September and June, students in all income groups learned at about the same rate. But comparing June and September scores, he saw that while upper- and middle-income students gained knowledge over the summer, the low-income students barely held steady, or even lost ground.
Rick Holmes: The dark side of summer vacation - Gloucester, MA - Wicked Local Gloucester

Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsasourcream View Post
why would u have school year round?
Arguments against Year Round Education
• Studies have been inconclusive to its academic benefits.
• Students are going to forget information whether they are out of school for three weeks or 10. Therefore, teachers will be performing four beginning of the year reviews instead of just one.
• Summer programs such as youth camps suffer.
• Student summer employment will be virtually impossible.
• Many schools are older and do not have air conditioning.
Since this thread has been bumped, I'm going to respond, even though DC has eliminated many of its YR schools. Some Cherry Creek schools still have YR schedules, as I understand it.

Yes, the studies are inconclusive. However, I don't believe any of them show that YR is worse.

I don't think you can prove that, as in a research study.

That doesn't seem to be a problem in the areas that have YR schools. Kids are still on/off school throughout the summer; there is a common summer vacation time for everyone; and in this society, most kids are going to day care until they are old enough to stay home alone, b/c the parents work F/T.

YR is not done in middle/high school under most of these plans. In fact, I have never heard of any YR high schools. "Summer" student employment is not the norm anyway. Most working teens work year round, after school and on weekends.

Retrofitting *might* be an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or