U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 03:49 PM

4 posts, read 4,482 times

Advertisements

My lady and I have decided to move to the Denver Area and I like the Washington Park Area but I still don't know exactly where I am going to live.

One of the hardest things to decide is wether or not to Drive out there with our Uhaul pulling my car and then start looking for a good Apartment (which will mean we would have to waist money on hotel rooms and a storage unit in the mean time).

Or...

The other way is for us to pick an Apartment Online and move out there and directly in to it without actually seeing it in person yet.

Not sure which way is best but were looking for a nice 2 bedroom apartment in the $600 to $800 range preferably in Washington Park area.

Does anyone have any advise for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 04:55 PM

971 posts, read 1,129,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Neil View Post
My lady and I have decided to move to the Denver Area and I like the Washington Park Area but I still don't know exactly where I am going to live.

One of the hardest things to decide is wether or not to Drive out there with our Uhaul pulling my car and then start looking for a good Apartment (which will mean we would have to waist money on hotel rooms and a storage unit in the mean time).

Or...

The other way is for us to pick an Apartment Online and move out there and directly in to it without actually seeing it in person yet.

Not sure which way is best but were looking for a nice 2 bedroom apartment in the $600 to $800 range preferably in Washington Park area.

Does anyone have any advise for us?
2 bedroom unit in the Washington Park neighborhood for 600-800???

Never going to happen.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:12 PM

304 posts, read 673,745 times
Airfare from Las Vegas to Denver can often be had for around $200. One of you could fly out for a weekend and go apartment hunting--it would be less expensive (even if both of you came) than staying in hotels and renting a storage unil. You could line up some rentals to look at in different areas and then make your decision. I agree with Denverkid--Wash Park 2br. for $800/month is unlikely. What amenities and type of neighborhoods are you looking for? Wash Park is mostly young professionals with families.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:15 PM

304 posts, read 673,745 times
Or not-so-young professionals with families! : ) At least, that's my impression--but like everywhere in Denver, there is variety. I think the big draw to Wash Park is the park itself. Many people love to run, bike, rollerblade etc. around it.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:30 PM

94 posts, read 218,388 times
Why Washpark?

In that price range you might find something in what realtors like to call West Wash Park -- which really isn't.

Cheeseman or City Park are both better parks and in your price range.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:59 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
DH and I did the U-Haul/storage unit thing from Pittsburgh. I would never rent a place sight unseen. Either have the rental unit beforehand, or do the above.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:13 PM

4 posts, read 4,482 times
Thanks...

I can afford more easily but I'm just being very careful at first because my lady doesn't have a job out there yet and I only have so much to live on until I get settled.

I surprisingly have found many places online in the $600 to $800 range and I thought some were in Washington Park but I don't know the area well enough yet to know for sure what's what. One I remember to be called Cherry Creek. Is that area nice?

We want a nice healthy environment but not very far form plenty of businesses and business minded people. My girl will also need access to a good transportation system for the days that I don't feel like loaning my car out all day. I like Washington Park because it seems like a good place to meet others with health lifestyles. I guess I will need to decide how much more I am willing to spend.

Thanks for all your replies... Keep them coming!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-13-2010 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: advertising not allowed

Old 03-13-2010, 01:26 AM

5,083 posts, read 9,101,145 times
FYI call up some movers, lots of competition around Vegas these days. I got a quote from UHaul for $900 for the same trip in late April, plus insurance and cost of gas (UHaul says 5-8 miles a gallon) and its nearly $1400. Most movers are quoting me $1600-1800 but I sense I might negotiate to a little under the low end of the range. To not have to load up and unload the truck and not having to drive it 900 miles, I think $200 is money well spent.

As for your search, be sure you talk to these places first. About a third of them won't rent to out of town people unless they have an offer letter at a local employer. I have spent lots of time looking at places a little above your rent range and as you might expect you get what you pay for. A place for $800/month is either going to be on the small side or not in a good area. In fact in good areas inside Denver city limits that much generally will only get you a one bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or