U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 04:05 PM

227 posts, read 921,664 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what the plans are for the Westminster Mall and the surrounding Sheridan/88th ave area? I have heard that the mall might be torn down and redeveloped as well as an expansion of the park n ride. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 03:19 AM

5,083 posts, read 9,099,545 times
Probably the same thing that happens to almost all old malls these days, they turn them into either a "lifestyle" center or just a collection of big box stores with some restaurant pads.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:07 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,552,001 times
It is now in preliminary works to be developed:

Westminster Center - City of Westminster, Colorado (http://www.ci.westminster.co.us/920_westminstercenter.htm - broken link)

City of Westminster buys vacant mall sites, recruits redevelopment partner - Denver Business Journal:

This whole project will take years and years. As for Fastracks, the I-36 BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) is the project that will encompass the Westminster Park n' Ride. There is no commuter rail planned for this area, under Fastracks. However, the City of Westminster is trying to push to include a rail station on the Northwest Rail Corridor, south Side of 88th and across from the Mall, or south of the Westminster Park and Ride on Sheridan.

Livecontent

Old 11-21-2011, 03:14 PM

20,915 posts, read 39,201,627 times
Westminster Mall is indeed coming down, per the Denver Post today....

Having seen some great city spaces around the country and parts of Germany, there's a part of me that's thinks our nation's propensity to build stuff and tear it down in a generation or two is simply insane. Something is wrong with this but I'm hard pressed to convey the feelings.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Westminster Mall is indeed coming down, per the Denver Post today....

Having seen some great city spaces around the country and parts of Germany, there's a part of me that's thinks our nation's propensity to build stuff and tear it down in a generation or two is simply insane. Something is wrong with this but I'm hard pressed to convey the feelings.
I am also having real problems with my feelings. I grew up with shopping plazas, that became shopping malls; now shopping malls are again becoming shopping plazas--all in a very short span of time. I suspect at that pace of change, I will live to see shopping plazas again become shopping malls.

Aw, but the future progressive technocrats will not call it a MALL when a cover is put on the Streets of Southglenn and Belmar. They will call it :

ALL WEATHER SHOPPING ENCLOSURES

with the catchy acronym, AWSE, pronounced au-sees.

Note: All financed with federal funding grants for environmental improvements, under the Cover America Against Environmental Hazards Act of 2043, called the CAAEH Act, pronounce cow-eee

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 11-21-2011 at 04:28 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 06:54 PM

16,528 posts, read 20,983,579 times
I'm with Mike from back east and livecontent. I just don't get it.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:14 PM

3,530 posts, read 8,739,516 times
You can add Orchards in Westminster to that list. I don't like this style at all. Even in the summer it's not really pedestrian friendly. I find myself driving from store to store. Not because it's far but because I fear for my life while walking. And then when winter comes, the whole idea is just stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Aw, but the future progressive technocrats will not call it a MALL when a cover is put on the Streets of Southglenn and Belmar. They will call it :

Old 11-25-2011, 03:53 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,908,492 times
Quote:
I am also having real problems with my feelings. I grew up with shopping plazas, that became shopping malls; now shopping malls are again becoming shopping plazas--all in a very short span of time. I suspect at that pace of change, I will live to see shopping plazas again become shopping malls.

Livecontent
Way back in 2008, Newsweek ran a story proclaiming that the mall was dead. Prominently featured was a mall (I mean a "retailtainment" center) being built in the New Jersey Meadowlands called Xanadu. Xanadu's projected cost at that time was $2.3 billion and it was a year behind schedule.

Fast forward to today, Xanadu has been renamed the American Dream @Meadowlands, and despite $1.9 billion already spent, it is yet to be completed and opened.

Malls (or AWSEs if you prefer) opened at a rate of 140 per year in the US during the 90s. The WSJ says that between 2006 and 2009 only one enclosed mall opened in America.

IMHO, malls ARE dying. The reasons are simple:
1. The number of mall anchors has dimished significantly as bigger fish ate up the smaller ones. When many malls were opened in Denver between 1960 and 1990, the were anchored by stores like The Denver, May D&F, Fashion Bar, Joslins, Montgomery Wards, and Neusteter's. The contraction in the number of retailers has left many malls with spaces for anchors that could not be filled.

2. Malls are a money pit for owner. As soon as a new mall opened with new amenities and/or updated decors, the rest had to scramble to match them or risk losing customers. Malls were being majorly renovated every 7-10 years (many times while losing major revenue streams from lost anchors). Cinderella City in Englewood opened in 1968, had to undergo a major renovation by 1981, started declining by 1987, and was finally closed in 1997. It was torn down in 1999.

3. The utilities cost for the vast public spaces is immense. In the new "lifestyle centers", there is no indoor public spaces between stores. Cost eliminated.

With things being the way they are (fewer, but bigger retailers, effects of the recession, rise of online retailing, etc.) I doubt we will see malls ever rise again.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Way back in 2008, Newsweek ran a story proclaiming that the mall was dead. Prominently featured was a mall (I mean a "retailtainment" center) being built in the New Jersey Meadowlands called Xanadu. Xanadu's projected cost at that time was $2.3 billion and it was a year behind schedule.

Fast forward to today, Xanadu has been renamed the American Dream @Meadowlands, and despite $1.9 billion already spent, it is yet to be completed and opened.

Malls (or AWSEs if you prefer) opened at a rate of 140 per year in the US during the 90s. The WSJ says that between 2006 and 2009 only one enclosed mall opened in America.

IMHO, malls ARE dying. The reasons are simple:
1. The number of mall anchors has dimished significantly as bigger fish ate up the smaller ones. When many malls were opened in Denver between 1960 and 1990, the were anchored by stores like The Denver, May D&F, Fashion Bar, Joslins, Montgomery Wards, and Neusteter's. The contraction in the number of retailers has left many malls with spaces for anchors that could not be filled.

2. Malls are a money pit for owner. As soon as a new mall opened with new amenities and/or updated decors, the rest had to scramble to match them or risk losing customers. Malls were being majorly renovated every 7-10 years (many times while losing major revenue streams from lost anchors). Cinderella City in Englewood opened in 1968, had to undergo a major renovation by 1981, started declining by 1987, and was finally closed in 1997. It was torn down in 1999.

3. The utilities cost for the vast public spaces is immense. In the new "lifestyle centers", there is no indoor public spaces between stores. Cost eliminated.

With things being the way they are (fewer, but bigger retailers, effects of the recession, rise of online retailing, etc.) I doubt we will see malls ever rise again.
Good comments.

I would add that perhaps malls have been abandoned are that the heated indoor space become the gathering point of too many rowdy young people. It became too costly to maintain order and security and cost of associated insurance for liability. It is less of a problem outside and then local police can maintain order.

These shopping areas also have anchor tennants and they do cause similar problems as in Malls when they are abandoned. They may even cause more of a problem because there will be less of them and sometimes only one. Other stores will then close, as the needed shopping traffic diminishes.

Livecontent

Old 11-25-2011, 07:35 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,908,492 times
Quote:
Good comments.

I would add that perhaps malls have been abandoned are that the heated indoor space become the gathering point of too many rowdy young people. It became too costly to maintain order and security and cost of associated insurance for liability. It is less of a problem outside and then local police can maintain order.

These shopping areas also have anchor tennants and they do cause similar problems as in Malls when they are abandoned. They may even cause more of a problem because there will be less of them and sometimes only one. Other stores will then close, as the needed shopping traffic diminishes.

Livecontent
The best of these new lifestyle center have a residential component with them. This allows the areas to anchor with grocery stores in addition to the larger department stores. The presence of these residents also brings a steady customer base for many restaurants and bars. Without a strong residential component, these new centers could be doomed in the future. (Aspen Grove are you listening?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver