Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:16 AM

71 posts, read 252,546 times

Advertisements

Since your husband's work is in GV, you might want to look in SE Aurora. I just saw one on Craigslist in Park View (which is actually in Centennial, that general area is a patchwork quilt of Aurora, Centennial and unincorporated Arapahoe County) that is advertising at I think $1295. You might also check out Saddle Rock.

I'm thinking the area you should check out, roughly, is Smoky Hill to maybe Hampden (north-south) and Himalaya/Reservoir to let's say Gun Club (or maybe a bit further east). The key will be to try to avoid 225, that highway is no fun. If you lived by Buckley he could take Buckley down, which would help, but I really think you could get closer for the rent you mention
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 12:08 PM

94 posts, read 245,651 times
Quote:
Your money will go furthest in Aurora. If you want a single-family house, I wouldn't expect anything more than a lower-middle class neighborhood at $1200/mo (anywhere in Denver metro).
Sure but if work is further away automobile gas/insurance/wear and tear can eat through a couple hundred dollars in a month easily.

If the author is like most people from Novato they will be moving here with huge jacked up pick-up truck.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:54 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenUlasewich View Post
Since your husband's work is in GV, you might want to look in SE Aurora. I just saw one on Craigslist in Park View (which is actually in Centennial, that general area is a patchwork quilt of Aurora, Centennial and unincorporated Arapahoe County) that is advertising at I think $1295. You might also check out Saddle Rock.

I'm thinking the area you should check out, roughly, is Smoky Hill to maybe Hampden (north-south) and Himalaya/Reservoir to let's say Gun Club (or maybe a bit further east). The key will be to try to avoid 225, that highway is no fun. If you lived by Buckley he could take Buckley down, which would help, but I really think you could get closer for the rent you mention
Is the key avoiding the non-SE part of Aurora as well? What's the reason for that? You're advocating living close, but you're also advocating walling off everything but SE Aurora.

The OP would have to commute down Hampden, Quincy, Smoky Hill, Orchard or Arapahoe, any of which could be 15 minutes just to get to Parker Rd from where you're suggesting. And the commute doesn't end at Parker Rd (be it I-225, Dam Road, or Arapahoe). Living out there makes "avoiding I-225" a wash.

If the OP lived closer to I-225, the only misery they would face would be between Parker and I-25. A 15 minute stretch on the worst days. I commute home to Tamarac St every morning from DIA. I-225 isn't as bad as you're making it out to be.

The OP will get much more for their money in the non-SE parts of Aurora. The OP could also live closer to and/or in GV if they're willing to live in something that's not a single-family house, by either renting an apartment/condo/townhouse, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside1 View Post
Sure but if work is further away automobile gas/insurance/wear and tear can eat through a couple hundred dollars in a month easily.
That's why we're not recommending Thornton.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:09 PM

9 posts, read 15,023 times
You guys are funny. I am not too worried about traffic - we get our fair share in No. Cal. Snow will complicate things I am sure, but we'll figure it out. Avoiding 225 is proving very difficult so far. No, we don't have a pickup truck! A subaru, like most Colorado residents???

Old 03-22-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjosker View Post
You guys are funny. I am not too worried about traffic - we get our fair share in No. Cal. Snow will complicate things I am sure, but we'll figure it out. Avoiding 225 is proving very difficult so far. No, we don't have a pickup truck! A subaru, like most Colorado residents???
You don't need to avoid I-225.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:25 PM

94 posts, read 245,651 times
Well 225 slows down even in the middle of the day heading south from I-70 around Colfax because the number of lanes reduces. Rush hour sees back ups on 225 in both directions pretty much every day.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:05 PM

71 posts, read 252,546 times
David, you are right about non-SE Aurora being more affordable, I was just looking for ways to avoid 225 and get into a single family house that would be close to GV. I'm glad that your commute works for you, I personally would go a little nuts if I had to drive it every day. Sounds like OP has a high tolerance for traffic, so maybe that is the way to go for them.

You raise an excellent point about non-single family in and around GV. I would like to add to that that the OP should take a look at single family rentals in Walnut Hills, Willow Creek and Homestead. For that matter, and to your point & location, Southmoor (in Denver) could be a great option. The trick will be finding something in the right range, they don't necessarily come available all the time, but one might pop up.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:51 PM

9 posts, read 15,023 times
What do you guys know about the area of Aurora with the 80013 zip?

Old 03-23-2010, 02:03 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outside1 View Post
If the author is like most people from Novato they will be moving here with huge jacked up pick-up truck.
That's an absolutely ridiculous generalization.

Quote:
You raise an excellent point about non-single family in and around GV. I would like to add to that that the OP should take a look at single family rentals in Walnut Hills, Willow Creek and Homestead. For that matter, and to your point & location, Southmoor (in Denver) could be a great option. The trick will be finding something in the right range, they don't necessarily come available all the time, but one might pop up.
You can give it a shot, but in WC, I think you're looking at $1800-$2000 minimum for a small, single-family rental.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
For that matter, and to your point & location, Southmoor (in Denver) could be a great option. The trick will be finding something in the right range, they don't necessarily come available all the time, but one might pop up.
Most definitely. I could walk to the GV border from here, but they won't find a SFR for rent at that price around here unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjosker View Post
What do you guys know about the area of Aurora with the 80013 zip?

Middle class. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver