Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 08:09 PM

49 posts, read 252,768 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Want to be close to work, little driving, heated garage, NO driveway snow shoveling and with middle aged people (boy, I think I may want too much!), what would be a good area to rent a condo? Lodo (sp?) comes up alot but I'm in my 40's and not sure I want to be with college age kids. Can spend up to $2K

I lived in Chicago and used to commute by car and the winters were awful...shoveling my driveway, sidewalks, no heated garage and don't want to do that again.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 11:48 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,089,631 times
First of all, winters in Denver are nothing like winters in Chicago. It is not nearly as windy or snowy here as you might think. Most winter days are sunny, but cold (daytime temps in the 30s and low 40s). There is usually little or no wind. It does snow, but the snowiest month here is actually March. When snow does fall, it is usually melted within a few days. While many places have garages, I am not sure that any of them actually have heated garages.

Lodo has several buildings where you would be living next to empty nesters, professionals and retired people. The Highlands area is another good place to look. Washington Park is more family-oriented, but that is better than college kids.

If you are going to be working at the Qwest Building downtown, then you will be within a couple of blocks of light rail. This opens up your options immensely. There are many nice, new transit-oriented developments along the SE rail line. Living in one of these areas could mean that you hardly ever use your car if you walk a couple of blocks to light rail and then commute from there.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:58 PM

971 posts, read 1,289,684 times
I'd look into the Riverfront Park Neighborhood (also known as the Central Platte Valley District).

[SIZE=4][/SIZE][SIZE=4][/SIZE]

Old 04-04-2010, 12:43 AM

45 posts, read 96,353 times
Often the winter days are even warmer than 30's and low 40's. Seems we get alot of 50's and even hit 60's some winter months.

Sue

Old 04-04-2010, 12:44 AM

45 posts, read 96,353 times
I wonder if Cherry Creek might have an older demographic than Capitol Hill?

Old 04-04-2010, 08:27 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjde View Post
Often the winter days are even warmer than 30's and low 40's. Seems we get alot of 50's and even hit 60's some winter months.

Sue
I heard on the news recently that on average, it hits 60 at least once a month during the winter. That seems right to me.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:42 AM

971 posts, read 1,289,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I heard on the news recently that on average, it hits 60 at least once a month during the winter. That seems right to me.
Denver recently set a record for most consecutive days without a high temperature great than 60° - 105 days.

The coldest month in Denver is January, which historically has an average (mean) high of 44° and an average low of 19°.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:09 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,089,631 times
There are such a wide range of temperatures and conditions for each date, I think you need to look at averages. My birthday is in February and the record low temp. for the date is -24 deg. F. The record high for the same date is over 70 deg. F. Most of the time, however, the temp. is in the low 40s. Stick to the averages to be safe.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:53 AM

30 posts, read 71,536 times
You'd probably enjoy Cherry Creek or maybe Cheeseman Park. I wouldn't worry about a heated garage; if you have a garage in Denver you are good to go!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:46 PM

291 posts, read 908,400 times
Let me put in my two cents on the temperatures. Jan 1st average high is 43, 31st is 44. February 1st is 45, 28th is 50. I'm from where you're from and one thing I found out is that winter temperatures feel 10 degrees higher here than back in Northern Illinois. On a sunny day, 45 degrees here feels like 55 back there. If your car is parked in the sun in Chicago and the temperature is 30 degrees, the metal will still feel cold. Here under the same conditions, the metal will feel warm. That's because the sun is so much stronger here, due to the elevation. What all of the posters told you is correct and once you live out here you'll understand. Some winters you'll agree more with Davidv and other winters you'll agree more with the other posters.

Here's a location to look for housing. It's called Rental Properties | Houses for Rent | Homes for Rent | Apartments for Rent | Home Rentals | Rental Houses. Click on "About Us" then go to "search rentals". Another one is househelpers.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: